New Boardroom.

John Dolan - Wirral & North Wales AO

10 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

The "source" button is a way to view HTML source code, which is not quite the same as BB Code. We don't want general control of HTML to be honest as that can mess things up if you don't know what you are doing - hence why it's a restricted feature. BB Code allows the use of HTML-like tags that are "safer" to use, so open to the general populace.

The Editor that is used is called CK Editor (no relation!) and I'm familiar with it from a developer viewpoint. So we will be able to add in enhancements and features (like extra tools) at some point. Patience though as there's a lot going on all at once here - but I'm happy to add in these extra features where possible, acceptable and practical. Not 100% sure if BB Code is available for CK Editor - but will look.

AS Chris says, we dont permit members to post HTML and this is why the source button doesnt exist. The benefit for techies is outweighted by the ability to insert all sorts of nasties so I dont think either Chris or I would be proposing to permit it. BB Code addon however is a possible extension. However bear in mind each mod, change or add on makes the upgrade and maintenance of the site expand exponentially. Having just done a major upgrade which has taken many weekends of work on a test site, Id be wary of too many specials.

Along with a test thread for people posting images, the 'Activity' tab which replaced the 'View New Content' button is I expect worth a thread of its own.

#

One thing I have noticed, is the the URL/Location of the board has shifted slightly, which means none of my bookmarked pages work any more. I think its actually a slight improvement as its shorter, but I wonder if its worth it for the broken links it will create. Example below:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/120484-where-to-buy-a-zetec-north-midlands/      new format

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/120484-where-to-buy-a-zetec-north-midlands/     old format

Daniel

48 minutes ago, dhutch said:

Along with a test thread for people posting images, the 'Activity' tab which replaced the 'View New Content' button is I expect worth a thread of its own.

#

One thing I have noticed, is the the URL/Location of the board has shifted slightly, which means none of my bookmarked pages work any more. I think its actually a slight improvement as its shorter, but I wonder if its worth it for the broken links it will create. Example below:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/120484-where-to-buy-a-zetec-north-midlands/      new format

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/120484-where-to-buy-a-zetec-north-midlands/     old format

Daniel

Yeah its more a PIA than even that with all the lost google links. Im looking at a way of sorting these out. The main issue is that the link needs a ? in it to work on the new framework.

so:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/120484-where-to-buy-a-zetec-north-midlands

doesnt work in the old format. Its actual equivalent new format is:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/120484-where-to-buy-a-zetec-north-midlands

however i have also enabled new SEO friendly formats. I need to get a few minutes to write a re-write rule that will only match the old URL format and not break the new ones.

On 28/11/2016 at 11:59 AM, Scott Young - WSCC Chairman said:

I'm doing this one by typing the text, then clicking on "choose files..." - after I've chosen the photo I want, I left-click and hold on the image and then drag it into the text box, and it drops in automatically:

2014-06-16_17_28_34.jpg

and I can keep on typing afterwards.

Lovely car Scott, looks really smart

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BCF said:

Lovely car Scott, looks really smart

Thanks Barny, most kind :yes:

Is there a way of replacing the "unread content" feed button with one of my custom activity feeds?

54 minutes ago, Dommo said:

Is there a way of replacing the "unread content" feed button with one of my custom activity feeds?

Yes.

just click the tick next to your custom feed and it'll replace the default one

image.jpg

That is awesome!

(yeah I know, I should know - but it shows just how much there is to know in here!)

Just found that I (as Admin) can make the default "unread content" button customisable - so it's possible to set it up like it used to be - which I think is "last unread forum (not other areas) content" - as well as having it set as your own custom button - which is pretty damn cool IMO.

Thanks Mark. I've now got it to unread since last visit including blog posts which is exactly what I wanted from the old forum. I'd call that a success!

I have no idea what this is but i suspect I can do a lot of damage if I click on anything :oops:

image.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mark Wendon (smokey mow) - WSCC Club Secretary said:

I have no idea what this is but i suspect I can do a lot of damage if I click on anything :oops:

image.jpg

That controls the layout and appearance of the front page and also many others things.  I've already been in trouble for playing with it. :(  Only Admins can see it.  You're right to leave it alone.

58 minutes ago, Scott Young - WSCC Chairman said:

That controls the layout and appearance of the front page and also many others things.  I've already been in trouble for playing with it. :(  Only Admins can see it.  You're right to leave it alone.

Ooh such power, how shall i use it.... :rolleyes: