• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Very O/T - Anyone had a flexible cystoscopy?

TAFKARM

Interested in your experiences because i'm papping myself. My loving wife to be, who did a urology rotation at med school, reassuringly tells me its going to be horrific. 

I had a cystoscopy about six years ago and frankly it wasn't too bad. Whether it was 'flexible' one I can't say but a camera up the urethra is, well, a camera up the urethra. Flexible or not! They do apply a local numbing substance first...

The one procedure I wouldn't want repeated was a prostate biopsy. It's like having a mechanical porcupine up the jacksie! And there's the weapons grade antibiotics you have before, during and after - my gastro-intestinal system wasn't the same for months! One dose of just one of the two antibiotics would cure gonorrhoea... :o

I had a cystoscopy about six years ago and frankly it wasn't too bad. Whether it was 'flexible' one I can't say but a camera up the urethra is, well, a camera up the urethra. Flexible or not! They do apply a local numbing substance first...

The one procedure I wouldn't want repeated was a prostate biopsy. It's like having a mechanical porcupine up the jacksie! And there's the weapons grade antibiotics you have before, during and after - my gastro-intestinal system wasn't the same for months! One dose of just one of the two antibiotics would cure gonorrhoea... :o

The prostate exam was a strange mixture of awful and very pleasant indeed. :d

• Like 1

Ah, that may be Russ, but the biopsy (not just the quick 'feel') involves firing an ultra-sound guided hollow needle through the bowel wall into the prostate twelve times to take a set of tissue samples. Bearing in mind what is in the lower bowel and what is likely to be carried into the prostate (a blood-rich organ) in the way bacterial load, it is no wonder that the antibiotics are needed!

Oh Lord help me, why on earth did I look at this thread? Curiosity killed the cat springs to mind. :p  :p  :p

• Like 1

You won't be interested in the tale of colonoscopy then StephenH? It all started with the biennial poo-sticks test*...   :arse: by way of Moviprep (aka Picolax). There's a Youtube clip of Billy Connolly telling of his experience but I cannot find it. However there's agent picolax's tale here:

http://singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns/

*FOB (faecal occult blood screening)

My pal is a proctologist.  Says the best bit of the job is the opportunity to look up old mates

:getmecoat:

• Like 1

Had a cystoscopy about 12 years ago. Not something I'm in a hurry to experience again. Challenging thing was being told to relax to allow the endoscope to pass into the bladder. Difficult to do in the circumstances. Very uncomfortable despite the anaesthetic. Made my feet flap about a bit.  Also quite painful urinating for about a week afterwards despite painkillers, again making you not want to 'let go'.

Phil Hammond, the Bristol GP who used to front a TV show about medicine, said being a GP is the only job in which you can have your finger up a stranger's orificium fundamentalis within ten minutes of meeting them and be thanked for it into the bargain! :o

You won't be interested in the tale of colonoscopy then StephenH? It all started with the biennial poo-sticks test*...   :A***: by way of Moviprep (aka Picolax). There's a Youtube clip of Billy Connolly telling of his experience but I cannot find it. However there's agent picolax's tale here:

http://singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns/

*FOB (faecal occult blood screening)

Still one of the funniest things I have ever read. 

Never had a cystoscopy but had plenty of colonoscopys and a flexible sigmoidoscopy which was not a nice experience as I opted to have it done without pethidine as the hospital said it wasn't needed.......

Pethidine for the colonoscopys gave me a great insight into why people get hooked on drugs,the relaxed/floaty feeling was great :d