A word of warning (hispec brakes)

Steve (sdh2903)

I tried to buy Hi-Specs from WSC at Stonleigh exchanged emails told them what I wanted then total silence Md that was May won't bother again gonna get Willwoods instead

Which wilwoods Terry? Fronts or rears?

Fronts. Swapping the backs aswell posibly Willwods but mk4 golf if I can get hold of a good set

There is no excuse for bad customer service, but working in the parts trade as I do, getting small batchs made is a pain. Every manufacturer now keeps minimum stock of components and raw materials, so when an order comes in if any one part is missing there is a wait and all of their suppliers are the same. 

Thats why if it is a normal car part  there are more than one route to get them, Special parts you are stuck somewhat. Willwood have a huge American market so should be in a better place to scource and hold stock. 

Hi Spec always strike me as bling first and foremost.

A couple of points.

There are two VERY different models of Hi Spec caliper used on the front end, as supplied by Westfield; there is the "standard" fit Mini Light, which is arguably right at the upper end of the acceptable weight range of car, when fitted to a Westfield. It was designed as a direct replacement for M16's without having a MC swap. This is the caliper that some have had trouble with in respect to uneven pad wear caused by caliper flex. I had a set years ago, can't say I ever noticed the flex and certainly didn't have uneven wear. But a few did.

The other type of caliper is sold as the Race Caliper upgrade, and these are a far superior, much heavier duty caliper. They originate from one of the Radical race series, so are properly "race proven", these do, I believe, require the different MC. I know a few with them now and haven't heard any complaints yet.

Golf style rears. I tried Car Builder Solutions Golf style rears, (not their actual Golf rears), I can't remember the exact problem now, but essentially they fouled something on the Westfield upright.

Also, they use the Golf handbrake cable. When I built my S2000, Westfield didn't have a Ford Ka to Golf handbrake cable. So you would either need to have a cable made up, or use the Sierra hand brake and their older Sierra to Golf cables, (assuming they still supply them). (In the end that's why I changed to Hi Spec rears, for an easier life!)

Correct dave. The race calipers are actually hi spec rs114 calipers. These are available in a number of different piston sizes so can be compatible with either master cylinder. These are the ones I had ordered.

Also correct regarding handbrake cables. Despite now using the KA handbrake and golf uprights westfield don't offer a handbrake cable to suit the golf caliper, however I suspect the cable they do sell to suit the rear hispecs will be use able. If not custom cables are available for around 15 quid each.

I think regards to master cylinders, it's getting very confusing now as there are a few differing ones. The "standard" tandem master cylinder, the "upgrade" AP master cylinder and now there's a 3rd as the sport 250 is now being supplied with a tandem master cylinder with remote reservoirs that is used on the sport turbo homogelated cars. I remember a while ago being told that this cylinder was compatible with all the brake options westfield offer. I'm just waiting for confirmation on this as I think I've decided to go with the APs however if it still requires the upgraded master aswell then I'll be going for wilwood midilites.

For the mk4 rears I think I'm just going to order these. Not worth the hassle of refurbishing used ones at that price.

http://www.compbrake.com/product/rear-caliper-with-built-in-handbrake-comp-r2/

Check that the brake line banjo bolt exits at a suitable part of the caliper. The first set I bought didn't fit due to it exiting in towards the hub/bearing carrier.

That looks like the issue I half remembered, thanks Chris for the memory jog!

The ones in the pic were from RD. Part of a full conversion kit to go from Sierra drums to "golf" disc rears.

I'll find out where I got the ones that did fit though might not be immediately as I'm on holiday and the wife is already giving me "the look" :)

I must be getting old, I'm moaning again.

I'd decided to go for the AP's. Phoned the parts dept for some more info and to see of they were able to get an accurate lead time (not an unreasonable request I thought?) And was met with a complete lack of interest, knowledge or willingness to help me, seriously what is wrong with people. Do they not want/need the business?

Are there any other suppliers of the AP kit or is it westfield only? If not I'll give my money to rallydesign who actually know how to give customer service and go for wilwoods.

Maybe I'll just not bother with brakes......