A word of warning (hispec brakes)

Steve (sdh2903)

I don't like moaning about companies online but on this occasion I'm compelled to do so.

If you are looking to purchase some spangly new brakes for your westfield or any other car for that matter please think very carefully before ordering from Hi spec motorsport.

Yes they are helpful on the phone when speccing up your order but, after thats when things go downhill. I was told my order would be 28 days as a "worst case scenario" should be with you in 3 weeks. This is after paying up in full upfront.

4 weeks pass, no biggie I'll give them a call. I was told theres been a delay with the production of the pistons for the fronts. Will be another week. The rears are ready. Ok I'll wait till its all ready.

Another 10 days pass. Give them a call. Yes brakes are pretty much done bar testing and finishing off. Rears now not ready as I asked if I could take delivery of the rears.

This Monday. Another call. Guy I'd been dealing with promises to call back before close of play with an update. No call.

Tuesday. Same as Monday.

Today. I have now been told there's a fault with a machine to make the calipers. Erm you told me they had already been made? No sorry they haven't. But I've asked for yours to be made first. Don't bother. I'll cancel my order. Phone goes quiet. Ok all cancelled. I've never heard someone so happy to cancel an order. Bizarre. Ok when do I get my refund then?

They then argue with me for another 10 minutes telling me I haven't paid despite having my online banking in front of me. Eventually they admitted they'd been paid and the refund will be processed. I now don't expect to see the money back without a fight.

Unbelievable.

So if your looking to buy hispecs either

a. Don't.

b. Buy through westfield and let them deal with the useless amateurs at hi spec and expect to wait for them. A long time.

And breathe.......

Hi sorry to hear that! It's truly disgraceful, they don't deserve any business!!!!

But it just goes to show its not always Westfields fault & it's there suppliers!

Sorry to read this. :(

It does make you appreciate what WSC Ltd go through If a customer orders parts made by an outside supplier, who feeds them guff like that which they unknowingly pass on to their customer in good faith, then take all the flak for not delivering on time.

One good reason to use a credit card for pay up front orders. Even if you get stung for the extra few percent they usually add on.

If you have a problem then the credit card company sort out the refund. Suppliers never argue with them.

• Like 3

It's a very good point Scott. Ive even been guilty of moaning about WSC and parts delivery times myself. I will have more empathy in future if I'm being kept informed.

Chris, similar protections now in place with debit cards. I've just got off the phone to my bank to start a dispute just in case hi spec are as slow at processing refunds as they are brakes.

• Like 1

It's been the case with Hi Spec for as long as no as I remember, would always advise buying them through a third party.

• Like 1

I've always been pleased with their service, usually pop down to them and buy over the counter. Houston is a bit far for you to travel unfortunately.   Probably they are having a "bad day at the office", it happens.

I had read some stuff on the Internet about poor service but some recent decent feedback as you say sooty. Hence why I placed the order. I wanted the race upgrade calipers but in red which is why I went direct to hi spec. They were very helpful apart from being slow in putting the quote together. Since then however it's just been a series of blatant lies and failures to ring me back when promised. It's not as though I've dealt with multiple people, ive been dealing with one person from start to finish. I can't put that down to a bad day in the office.

Just debating which way to go now. I'm going for midilites up front but for the rears I'm debating going for oe golf calipers or wilwood powerlite handbrake calipers. The handbrake strength on the wilwoods doesn't have a great reputation so it might be a sensible option to go for the golf option until IVA is out of the way.

My advice.., worth nothing but offered anyway.

Spend the extra and buy APs or equivalent. Willwood are pretty good too.

Had Hi Specs on the sprint car. Stopped the car ok but they flex meaning the pads wear unevenly. Probably OK for a road but if your tracking it spend the extra.

• Like 1

Don't rate hi spec calipers at all. There on the Mega at the moment and they will be swapped for Willwoods soon.

I have wilwood powerlite fronts (mintex 1144s) and golf rears (basic pads). Went through IVA no problem with std factory master cylinder.

Brakes seem pretty good but can't say how good as I've no comparison to guage against.

My advice.., worth nothing but offered anyway.

Spend the extra and buy APs or equivalent. Willwood are pretty good too.

Had Hi Specs on the sprint car. Stopped the car ok but they flex meaning the pads wear unevenly. Probably OK for a road but if your tracking it spend the extra.

Seconded, AP with the AP master cylinder and vented front discs are IMO significantly better

Andy

I was looking at the APs on the parts website and they look good value really. I have the new master cylinder from the sport turbo. I believe it's a 20mm bore which is very close to the AP cylinder (13/16ths I believe?) So I need to see if i would actually need the ap master cylinder. If not then it's a definite option depending on lead time etc.