Spider Season seems to have started...

John K

Motco ,

I didnt know badgers had an appetite for slugs , never seen a live one, but hundreds of road kills . I imagine badger breath must be something special to behold .

We do have hedgehogs visit the garden , not sure if slugs are on the menu ?

And to think my missus who suffers from arachnophobia big time and cant stand any creepy crawly things of any type whatsoever  , wanted us to emigrate to Australia some years ago  :t-up:

My son is in Sydney working right now and the tales of spiders in his place are enough to scare you witless! Good old Blighty has none of this nature against humanity lark.

As for badgers, no, I haven't ever see a live one either - except on CCTV - but they do eat earthworms and slugs among other delicacies apparently. They also dig holes in my lawn and cr@p in them!

I didnt know badgers had an appetite for slugs , never seen a live one, but hundreds of road kills . I imagine badger breath must be something special to behold .

We do have hedgehogs visit the garden , not sure if slugs are on the menu ?

Hedgehogs like slugs and snails, Badgers love bugs and worms but will chow down on slugs as well.

FYI - almost all the badger roadkill you see will have been shot (so totally not getting into the cull debate) and then dumped on the roads so roadkill is blamed for it.

Oddly enough - and it shows how wildlife habits are changing - we are getting more badgers in the garden than hedgehogs..!

I have seen very few hedgehogs for a few years but they were a common sight twenty or thirty years ago. Foxes, badgers, grey squirrels, rabbits, muntjac and roe deer, and all the sweet little furry things that my cat brings home, all in abundance. I found a hedgehog dropping (they were all over the place years ago so I know what to look for) on my lawn recently so hopefully they are on the rise again.

I have seen very few hedgehogs for a few years but they were a common sight twenty or thirty years ago. Foxes, badgers, grey squirrels, rabbits, muntjac and roe deer, and all the sweet little furry things that my cat brings home, all in abundance. I found a hedgehog dropping (they were all over the place years ago so I know what to look for) on my lawn recently so hopefully they are on the rise again.

Same here. A few years ago there would be dead hedgehogs even on London streets. Haven't seen a live one or a pancaked one for quite some time. We don't get badgers either. We do have foxes that will eat out of our hands though. That's both cool and slightly worrying in equal measure and on several levels...

Same here. A few years ago there would be dead hedgehogs even on London streets. Haven't seen a live one or a pancaked one for quite some time. We don't get badgers either. We do have foxes that will eat out of our hands though. That's both cool and slightly worrying in equal measure and on several levels...

Like this... :oops:

foxy_lady_by_nessmonster-d50fd8j.jpg

I can't be the only one thinking "Johnny Fartpants"...

I have family in Australia and apart from red backs in the swimming pool and under loo seats  :oops: , my aunts house had a huntsman spider in the house as her friendly house spider !. She took a photo of it holding a bic like pen next to it and there wasnt much in it lengthwise. It made a nest somewhere in the house and sadly my aunt decided it had to go, so was caught and taken out into the garden. 

As well as the huge beasts that prowl the lounge carpet I find the ones that live behind the tiptop mirrors are the most annoying, can't get behind the caps to to shift them and they keep building webs - dead annoying. 

I cleared out our stores area today... moved a pile of boxes and tipped 1/2 a dozen of the b*******s on myself!

I may not have used appropriate management language

I cleared out our stores area today... moved a pile of boxes and tipped 1/2 a dozen of the b*******s on myself!

I may not have used appropriate management language

Fornication and excrement have little to do with arachnids...  :p

• Like 1

Fornication and excrement have little to do with arachnids...  :p

never actually caught them in the act but I'm sure they both pro create and excrete like most invertebrates  :)

never actually caught them in the act but I'm sure they both pro create and excrete like most invertebrates  :)

Yes they do - fornicate - but the females eat the males afterwards!

My badger friend was back again last night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y29mBHcBGg

...then he came back a few minutes later for another go, cheeky sod!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0zpxz6Pnwc

:bangshead:

Luckily I don't mind spiders, never kill 'em, they are my friends. There's one or two in the house and are good housekeepers, they keep airborn insects in check. There's plenty of False Widows around here and so far not been bitten but plenty of fellow engineers have. 

I especially despise mosquitos but for some strange reason they love me, just hate the minute I turn the light off when going to sleep and then  I hear one flying around, lights on again and I can't return to slumber until it's be dealt the death blow.