New Owner, New Member. Leicester UK

noggin

I'm South Wigston also Noggin. Hopefully be passing each other on the Countesthorpe rd very soon (as long as I can dig my blade powered westie out of its 9+ year hibernation)

Cool. I live off the Countesthorpe Rd just past the two bridges. Get on it, man. Get out and driving!

@twoterriers Yes, that's mine!

@dombanks You're mate is right! There are some brilliant roads out that way. I like driving over  and getting lost in the maze of lanes!

Swept wings are the future, don'tcha know!  ;)  :d

A really pretty Westfield, congratulations and welcome (belatedly).

While I know some of the issues that were raised with ToyBox a number of years ago, I've got to say I know a lot of very happy/satisfied customers of his.  :yes:

• Like 1

I hope to get mine out this afternoon. I'll be doing a run to the auction house in Long Lawford nr Rugby to view the items in tomorrows auction.

how was it?

F'ing Cold! We never made Rugby as my passenger was too uncomfortable to do the full 50 mile return! He's six ft five and was getting the full blast of a 4c wind. We managed about 20 miles before retiring.

I seem to have an issue with the car not warming up properly. It only got up an indicated 65 degrees. I know it's really cold outside and it'll probably be better in the summer. I think I'll try a piece of cardboard over the front grill next time I go out.

Sounds like no thermostat fitted or possibly failed open. That does need attention really as it is not good for the engine to be overcooled.

• Like 1

Agree with Martin, get thermostat checked!

I too bought my Duratec Westie 3 years ago at Toy box. He did a reasonable deal and most helpful, even threw in a RAC bar as a deal sweetener.

All Westfields are so different, that's part of the charm. Build quality will be variable too. So buying a Westie over a production tin top is more challenging for Toy Box

Andy

• Like 1

Yeah check the stat. A zetec should get up to temp easily in this weather. 88C

May also be an overcooling issue in the plumbing

Don't forget, Gauges in our Westy's tend to lie to you a little.

Before you start delving in and before you take it out for a run I would just run it stationary for 10-15 mins or so. 7-8 mins in, you temp gauge should rise progressively, as you effectively simulate being stuck in traffic. keep feeling the stat hose anywhere from 60c onwards and at some point you should be able to 'feel' when the stat opens as your hand gets rather warm. Try and reference what your temp is on the gauge at this point. if your hose is warm fairly quickly from the off it could mean investigating if there is a stat or testing to see if a stats defective etc.

It's easy to check for the Zetec over cooling issue. At the exit of the thermostat at the rear nearside of the engine have you got a 3/4" diameter hose coming out of the stat straight back into the large diameter hose that comes out of the stat? If so the thermostat bypass is running through the radiator, it shouldn't do that as this should go back into the pump inlet without being cooled first.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I'll try and pop up the lockup today and have a good look at the plumbing and the thermostat. I'll try running it stationary for 15 mins and see what happens. Unfortunately I'm not endowed with any mechanical nouse and engines etc make very little sense to me! I have trouble working out which bits are what!

Toybox have said they'll take it in and look at it for me but I would like to sort it myself if possible.