Geoffrey's Jaunt. West Coast of Scotland Tour. June 2016

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

Yes thats what I had in mind, oh and now I have re read the itinery and realise that its anti clockwise, the section from ballater (up over the lecht), cockbridge tomintoul. Goes up and over the Lecht ski area worth a quick stop at the top as looking back the way you have just come, the view is to die for.

The cockbridge / tomintoul section was made famous by terry wogan on the radio as it was infamous for very sharp asscents / descents and being blocked at the first sniff of snow :0 although should be snow free in june......

Reference of finger removal, born in Harrogate staying in the far north, please consider finger duly removed and it will be a pleasure to join you all

• Like 1

Reference of finger removal, born in Harrogate staying in the far north, please consider finger duly removed and it will be a pleasure to join you all

Oh that is great news.

Are you coming for the full trip.  :d

So you are saying clockwise is the way to go?

Either way is fine by me. 

it really doesn't matter which way we go, But the " new" A9 is getting upgraded and is average speed camered I think time wise if we go anti as you had planned that would get us to the funicular later in the day and as it faces westward hopefully will get the sun  and the views from the carpark and from the ptarmigan are really great, I am aware that it will be a long day, but it may be worth  (fill up in aviemore) on leaving aviemore, going south that instead of joining  the new A9 we stay on the old A9 to Kingussie (Ruthven barracks on left)  down to newtonmore, I think this misses the worst of the roadworks and then rejoin the A9 for a lesuirely drive back down

Well bit of disappointing news today, Carol cannot join me for the second week of the holiday.

I have to get Carol to Inverness railway station for 10.30am on the 4th June.

I will then travel back to the west coast after dropping Carol off and will then continue up north to Durness by my original route.

This will be my new route on the 4th June.

Would anyone care to tag along.

Portree%20to%20Inverness%20to%20Durness_

I have updated post number 1, with the names and dates of people who have confirmed to date that they will be joining us.

When we stay in Durness we will be visiting Smoo Cave.

You enter the cave from the beach and inside there is a covered timber walkway. You cross the walkway into an inner chamber where there is a waterfall inside the cave. If the water table is low enough, there is a boat you can go in and this takes you through a hole in the cave wall into further inner chambers.

Here is a video from inside the cave.

I would like to thank David for allowing me to post his video.

We will also be going to a number of the places shown in this film and travelling on the same roads.

hi you will need to let me know what your plan is for Wednesday the 1st we can be in glencoe for 11 in the morning , or let un know what route you are going and we will meet up.

Hi Ziplob.

I will let you know tonight when I get home from work.

hi you will need to let me know what your plan is for Wednesday the 1st we can be in glencoe for 11 in the morning , or let un know what route you are going and we will meet up.

Hi Ziplob.

This will be our route on Wednesday the 1st from Glencoe to Skye.

We can meet you in Glencoe at 11 if you want or en-route.

Happy to do what suits you.

Glencoe%20to%20Portree_zps6sm7fey2.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have received a couple of messages regarding who is going and does the trip have to be done in a Westfield.

Post number 1 details who has booked to date and the dates they will be joining the trip.

If anyone wishes to join us in a car other than a Westfield then that is perfectly fine with me and you will be more than welcome to join us.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Only a few weeks to go.

I hope everyone has ordered their sunblock, shorts and sun glasses.