Why 1C tyres should be categorised road legal by MSA

windy

Sorry boys I've had a humour bypass recently, about the same time the tyre regs came out!!

Just to save others the trouble.  I rang BMTR this morning and they have only 3 ZZR A24 compounds in 13" 215 size in stock.

I was told that replacements are on order and expected January.

David

lol I stole the odd one last year . they cant sell 3 unless a reliant robin uses them

FYI  L7C have just received in writing(email) that the ZZR OE spec tyre is only available for use by it would seem Caterham's.

"Where a tyre on the list refers to an Original Equipment (OE) fitment only it means that only the car that that tyre was Original Equipment for can use that tyre, it does not mean that any car can use the tyre. Scrutineers are advised that it is the competitors responsibility to prove that a particular tyre is Original Equipment for their vehicle."

We have asked for further clarification as that statement could be read as if only the individual cars sold with that specific tyre can use them.  Since that tyre with those specific numbers has only recently been manufactured its pretty much only 2015 cars that can use them if that is the interpretation and not all Caterham's

What an total and utter load of tosh!

Sorry guys but hopefully this prevents any one in your roadgoing classes going out and wasting money on them.

does any one know if the msa knows what they are  doing.   are they waiting for the start off the new season or going to give a full statement in black and white for hand  .

on how it effects every one ?. there's so many misprints and statements coming from them that don't seem to tell the same story.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all so think I'm going to replace my A048s with some Toyo R888Rs, but what I'm not clear on is whether the SG compound is legal in List 1b the R888Rs are only listed in 1b unlike the ZZRs which are in both 1b and 1c.

So does anyone know if the SG compound R888Rs are legal for List 1b?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Guys

L7C received some more information at last yesterday pm after we pressed and pressed.  Hopefully its of use to you guys also.

Sent: 11 January 2016 17:26
To: L7 Club PF <paul.forster@lotus7.club>
Cc: Lotus 7 Comp Sec <compsec@lotus7.club>; Cheryl Lynch <Cheryl.Lynch@msauk.org>; John Ryan <John.Ryan@msauk.org>
Subject: RE: List 1B & 1C tyres for 2016

Dear Paul,

Having consulted with Avon and the secretariat to the Tyre Advisory Panel, it has been agreed that the interpretation of OE equipment tyres is amended to allow any vehicle to use the appropriately marked tyres under list 1b. This amendment was published to the Scrutineers in an article in their newsletter that went out on Friday, the article will be re[produced in the next MSA newsletter which is sent out to all competitors clubs and officials. The article is repeated below;

Tyre List 1B Clarification

In the December Bulletin we highlighted an error in tyre list 1B where the specific OE fitment was missed from the Avon ZZR. That correction still stands however, in consultation with the tyre manufacturers and the Production Tyre Advisory Panel we have agreed to open up the use of these tyres to all vehicles, not just those models for which the tyre is the OE fitment.

Therefore for list 1B, the following tyres with the specific OE markings may be used by any vehicle where a list 1B tyre is permitted. Other models of these tyres without the specific OE markings will be considered as 1C tyres.

Avon ZZR - OE Fitments marked 15156 & 15157 only

Kumho Ecsta V700 (including V70A) - OE Fitments 215/40/17 only

Yokohama A048-R - OE Fitments marked LTS in sizes 195/50/15 & 225/45/17 only

Hi Guys

L7C received some more information at last yesterday pm after we pressed and pressed.  Hopefully its of use to you guys also.

Sent: 11 January 2016 17:26

To: L7 Club PF <paul.forster@lotus7.club>

Cc: Lotus 7 Comp Sec <compsec@lotus7.club>; Cheryl Lynch <Cheryl.Lynch@msauk.org>; John Ryan <John.Ryan@msauk.org>

Subject: RE: List 1B & 1C tyres for 2016

Dear Paul,

Having consulted with Avon and the secretariat to the Tyre Advisory Panel, it has been agreed that the interpretation of OE equipment tyres is amended to allow any vehicle to use the appropriately marked tyres under list 1b. This amendment was published to the Scrutineers in an article in their newsletter that went out on Friday, the article will be re[produced in the next MSA newsletter which is sent out to all competitors clubs and officials. The article is repeated below;

Tyre List 1B Clarification

In the December Bulletin we highlighted an error in tyre list 1B where the specific OE fitment was missed from the Avon ZZR. That correction still stands however, in consultation with the tyre manufacturers and the Production Tyre Advisory Panel we have agreed to open up the use of these tyres to all vehicles, not just those models for which the tyre is the OE fitment.

Therefore for list 1B, the following tyres with the specific OE markings may be used by any vehicle where a list 1B tyre is permitted. Other models of these tyres without the specific OE markings will be considered as 1C tyres.

Avon ZZR - OE Fitments marked 15156 & 15157 only

Kumho Ecsta V700 (including V70A) - OE Fitments 215/40/17 only

Yokohama A048-R - OE Fitments marked LTS in sizes 195/50/15 & 225/45/17 only

Simon,

Thanks for posting that and pleased you have got somewhere.

Can you give the sizes and compounds of the 15166 & 15157 tyres please as it is obvious that they may now be used in 1B, if they are potentially going to be softer and therefore similar to the ZZR's that were in use for last 2 years then we may need to re-consider what we are doing.

Thanks

Nick

Oh now that throws a spanner in the works slightly, if the ZZRs with 15156 & 15157 markings are available in the correct sizes I guess it'll be a decision between

Toyo R888R SG and the ZZRs 15156 & 15157.

185/55R13 ad 215/55R13 are the sizes for the OE ZZR but I can't see compounds

These tyres are 185 and 215 profile - all 13"

These spec numbers have only been produced since mid 2014 - so please check what you are buying.

Compound will be A64 which is the medium.

I have also been told that the tyre is a softer compound than the ZZS.

The ZZS will be tweeked to meet new E rating for next year but the ZZR will never meet the criteria.

best not buy any of them then . more wasted money.