Tyre Question/Class for 2016

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

i am a newbie trying to get into the sport and to be the honest the new regs of tyres are so me a good thing as it means i don't have to shell out £500 on super soft tyres to have a competitive tyre and i can run a  medium compound tyre that won't wear as quick and can be driven on the road also!

I think for road going class which is meant to be the entry level grass roots class this can only be a good thing

From a Class A perspective only and being new to the championship myself this year, I must agree with the above.

I understand the frustration of those who have ZZR's but from a newcomers perspective, list 1B tyres can level the playing field and reduce the cost of (competitive) entry into the series. At lot of newcomers will be coming from Trackday's and are already likely to have 1B tyres.

Whilst I am really seriously exercised about the ROPS ruling, I cannot get so upset about the tyre issue.

It is pretty much impossible to make changes without upsetting someone, but . . .

The fact is that most really fast competitors buy a new set of tyres every season, and the new regulations will apply to everyone (discounting any drivel about pre-1988 cars being able to continue to use 1c tyres). Ergo, the competition will still be on a "level playing field", just possibly a tad slower.

Speed Series target times will not actually need to be altered, because they will continue to be the benchmark for everyone. If 99.5 points becomes the new 101 as the mark of an excellent performance, so what.

Yes, my sympathies go out to any competitor who bought a new set of ZZRs or V70As mid season in 2015 and is caught out, but (as has been said above) new competitors will have the advantage of being competitive on tyres which might last more than a couple of hundred miles in road use.

Clearly, there is not yet an established pecking order in the new list 1b, and some of us might end up making the wrong decision -- but, overall, I think what we have is a vast improvement on the original proposal of forcing " road-going" cars on to 1a tyres.

• Like 1

I understand the frustration of those who have ZZR's but from a newcomers perspective, list 1B tyres can level the playing field and reduce the cost of (competitive) entry into the series. At lot of newcomers will be coming from Trackday's and are already likely to have 1B tyres.

I think you're right Mike, Edit - And David

it's important that people can have a go at a basic road going car level and the more expenditure required to meet Class specifications the more they will be put off.

Whilst I am really seriously exercised about the ROPS ruling, I cannot get so upset about the tyre issue.

It is pretty much impossible to make changes without upsetting someone, but . . .

The fact is that most really fast competitors buy a new set of tyres every season, and the new regulations will apply to everyone (discounting any drivel about pre-1988 cars being able to continue to use 1c tyres). Ergo, the competition will still be on a "level playing field", just possibly a tad slower.

Speed Series target times will not actually need to be altered, because they will continue to be the benchmark for everyone. If 99.5 points becomes the new 101 as the mark of an excellent performance, so what.

Yes, my sympathies go out to any competitor who bought a new set of ZZRs or V70As mid season in 2015 and is caught out, but (as has been said above) new competitors will have the advantage of being competitive on tyres which might last more than a couple of hundred miles in road use.

Clearly, there is not yet an established pecking order in the new list 1b, and some of us might end up making the wrong decision -- but, overall, I think what we have is a vast improvement on the original proposal of forcing " road-going" cars on to 1a tyres

David, I partially agree with you but what you suggest makes road going cars at a disadvantage to slick cars with being able to beat target times and their less likely of overall honours.

I suggest that a petition is started to allow the use of list 1C tyres in our championship and in roadgoing classes at events (to avoid being lumped in with mod prod) in the same way that one has been started for the change in the use of cages

David, what you suggest makes road going cars at a disadvantage to slick cars with being able to beat target times and their less likely of overall honours.

You are absolutely right, John  --  but (despite being probably the only one in the club to think it) I consider that the class champions should be lauded much more than the "overall champion"; an accolade which is always going to be based on more spurious comparisons than those in-class..........

.......  in fact, I have in the past suggested to the SSOT that the "overall champion" should be abolished   .......

.......  "TAXI"

David

I think we are on the same wavelength about the importance of the classes

Ok chaps

Here's a petition I've set up to lobby the MSA against the new tyres regs for 2016. Please sign and share to help us try and keep using current list 1B road going ZZR's & V70 tyres for the coming season.

https://www.change.org/p/motor-sports-association-msa-msa-tyre-regulations-making-list-1a-1b-and-1c-tyres-eligible-for-all-road-going-classes?recruiter=405615216&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

signed

• Like 1

......  in fact, I have in the past suggested to the SSOT that the "overall champion" should be abolished

You're not on your own with that thought David

Yeahhhh a petition that means that new drivers will have to spend £500 quid on a set of tyres you now can't buy new, Will have to search high and low to find a set of the "special tyres"......oh and their wear out super quick and then your have to give them up in 2017 anyway !..........you might have guessed I agree with Davidgh !

new drivers normally run in the lower classes which run 1a  tyres and 1b as you progress  so not change for them.

if you want to compete in higher class then you need better  tyres.

no one is stopping you buy cheaper tyres . [bit like buying a cheaper hp engine] tyres are by far the best investment for any driver to improve his times .

but we are being stopped from using tyres that we have all ready invested in.

but if we are forced to all run the same tyres then why not put us all in the same class . don't think for 1 min that the people winning now wont be winning in the future because of the tyres.

but  there will be more accidents more stoppages less driving time and less enjoyment  in the sport . and in the end less people competing due to more cost and less time driving.

good job they are getting everyone to fit cages, as the accident rate is going to be a lot higher on crap tyres.

• Like 1

You don't "have" to do anything. But the competitors that have been out competing for a year or more have run these tyres and set times on these tyres. Like most others, I'm not too bothered about trophies but I am bothered about knowing I'm improving and beating my own times, so why would I want to turn up to a venue and go 3 seconds slower, when I have a perfectly serviceable set of super soft tyres sat in the garage that could make me quicker?

Don't go me wrong, I agree with your sentiment and it has a place in the future, but not to be implemented in an overnight ruling that eliminates a tyre without any consultation. You're making the point that you don't want to spend £500 on tyres - well I did spend £500 on tyres, just 8 months ago, so why should it be ok to make that worthless overnight? Fine if we're given due warning and it's set for 2017 maybe, then I won't reinvest in another set at the end of next year and move to whatever 1a or 1b tyre is suitable. But we weren't given due warning, and rightly so me and 76 (so far) other competitors say we'd rather be consulted and use the tyres we've got for at least another season.

• Like 1

new drivers normally run in the lower classes which run 1a  tyres and 1b as you progress  so not change for them.

Just about everyone in Class A at Blyton had ZZR's. Why not when they are quicker?

That's motorsport I guess!