Tyre Question/Class for 2016

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

I agree with Stu that it is far too difficult to do and time consuming for the organisers and still probably does not sort out tyres differences, gearbox type , driver aids, engine power, CEC,BEC etc

what i cant understand is I was told that from 2014 new tyres could not have the eu rating if they did not meet the regulations .[that's fine with me] and if not would be stamped competition only on side wall. but tyres made before that date 2014 November were still road legal for 5 years and have no such stamp on them . 

my tyres are all purchased before this date so are road legal and should be able to compete it road legal class for the next 5years or when they wear out .

by which time they would off gone off and new tyres would be better even in a harder compound

why is there a instant ban no tyre people already have . let them wear them out and then decide what tyres they want to buy in future.

its easy to police new 1c tyres will have competition only stamped on them.

• Like 2

I think we are all just going to have to take it up the ass and swap tyres to something not as fast as the current ZZRs / Kuhmos from the new list 1B. Unless event organisers allow 1C in road going we are on a sticky wicket with going into mod prod at events due to technical and safety requirements as well as getting our asses kicked by cars on slicks

• Like 1

Agree with you John

• Like 1

bl**** hell how much slower will a medium compound 1b tyre be? it's like the end of the earth or something ?

surely a medium compound 888 or  a ZZS is still going to be a good tyre for road going class and they wont wear out so quickly! (a good thing for keeping costs down) 

is is totally inconceivable that a class record can't be broken by better driving, car set up etc ? I am genuinely interested, has anybody ever done back to back testing to see how much faster these "special" 2 tyres are or is it just become a urban myth? 

I am a complete newbie to sprinting for next year and right now i am looking at the NRS 2 in soft compound (which is like a normal medium i hear) it's £52 quid a corner! https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nankang/ns-2r/195-50-zr15-86w-79309 so £208 quid a set! 

My personable opinion would be for road going classes just pick a tyre and everybody has to use it ! that is what the MX5 lot are doing up here in Scotland, keeps the costs down and means everybody is on a even platform! ?

just my thoughts! 

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

bl**dy hell how much slower will a medium compound 1b tyre be? it's like the end of the earth or something ?

surely a medium compound 888 or  a ZZS is still going to be a good tyre for road going class and they wont wear out so quickly! (a good thing for keeping costs down) 

is is totally inconceivable that a class record can't be broken by better driving, car set up etc ? I am genuinely interested, has anybody ever done back to back testing to see how much faster these "special" 2 tyres are or is it just become a urban myth? 

I am a complete newbie to sprinting for next year and right now i am looking at the NRS 2 in soft compound (which is like a normal medium i hear) it's £52 quid a corner! https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nankang/ns-2r/195-50-zr15-86w-79309 so £208 quid a set! 

My personable opinion would be for road going classes just pick a tyre and everybody has to use it ! that is what the MX5 lot are doing up here in Scotland, keeps the costs down and means everybody is on a even platform! ?

just my thoughts! 

Cheers Paul

You would have a better understanding if you had tried Avon ZZR in soft compound before making your comment. Those at the front can tell the difference between a year old set and a new set so would surely tell between soft and medium. Those at the front have been competing for a long time now so know a thing or two about car setup although you have a point for a poorly setup car and not such experienced drivers.

BTW - NRS2 are only available in 15" . Most of us run 13" wheels

I think we are all just going to have to take it up the ass and swap tyres to something not as fast as the current ZZRs / Kuhmos from the new list 1B. Unless event organisers allow 1C in road going we are on a sticky wicket with going into mod prod at events due to technical and safety requirements as well as getting our asses kicked by cars on slicks

That just about sums it up John, well said :arse:  :arse: :A***:  :arse:  

• Like 1

yeah that is exactly my point! i have never tired ZZR's as  i am a newbie trying to get into the sport and to be the honest the new regs of tyres are so me a good thing as it means i don't have to shell out £500 on super soft tyres to have a competitive tyre and i can run a  medium compound tyre that won't wear as quick and can be driven on the road also!

I think for road going class which is meant to be the entry level grass roots class this can only be a good thing, obviously there are people with old tyres to use up but  then you did have a years warning on this did you not?

still genuinely interested how much difference it makes? for example over a 60 second sprint circuit ? 1 second? 2?  

Cheers Paul 

bl**dy hell how much slower will a medium compound 1b tyre be? it's like the end of the earth or something ?

just my thoughts! 

Cheers Paul

Paul, just to put this in perspective, the front running road-going cars in this championship often take fastest westfield at events when running ZZR's, even against stuff on slicks. The caliber of driver at the sharp end of this series ARE the best in the UK. Take a look at records set in road classes. For these drivers to use a harder compound tyre would render the records set unattainable, make a joke of our target time system, and would make the cars dangerous to drive. 

As for the solution to the problem.........I have no idea!

anyone want to buy a westfield? It was road-going, but its tyres may make it not so......

You would have a better understanding if you had tried Avon ZZR in soft compound before making your comment. Those at the front can tell the difference between a year old set and a new set so would surely tell between soft and medium. Those at the front have been competing for a long time now so know a thing or two about car setup although you have a point for a poorly setup car and not such experienced drivers.

BTW - NRS2 are only available in 15" . Most of us run 13" wheels

Nangkangs are available in 13"

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/track-day-tyres/nankang-sportnex-ns-2r-tyre

Thanks but only in 185 width. Not really suitable for more than 150 hp

To put it into a none scientific but a roughly measurable form

I'm not a fast driver but with my iPhone measuring g force

R888 medium couldn't pull much over 0.9 g without sliding about

R888 super soft 1.1 g sliding still not a competitive tyre

Old worn out slicks 3 years old in a 370kg single seater 1.3 g sliding

So Tyres are very important

Tyres are perhaps the most important part of your car if you want to go fast as they are the only bits that are in contact with the road/track!

Are target times really redundant? If we end up on 1b surely they could all just be increased by say 2% or whatever is a sensible multiplier.

I'm no expert! And I've found tyres make a hugemongous difference

Once the cars suspension & handling is well set up.

The difference depends on the style of track but for me around 6-10% quicker going from T1Rs to ZZRs.

I've used T1Rs and 888s on road & T1Rs, R1Rs and ZZRs on track all within the last 16 months. Each a step up in grip.

I disagree that a lower grip tyre is more dangerous. They're more progressive and predictable making them safer, so I would highly recommend beginners sticking to low grip and learning how to drive before upping the grip with sticky tyres.

Changes to tyres will be a pita, and really stuff the great work done with Target Times.

But I can't help wondering if over time normal road tyres would be better for road going, reducing start up costs so helping attract new competitors without whom there will be a stark long term future.