New MSA ROPS regulations

JamesT

I always thought hoods fitted over RAC bars

They do, but an RAC bar is too low to be effective for my height

The RAC is a bit of a problem on height.  I might just squeeze in. 

What worried me was the tube size, as its 1.5 inch, which is allowed as it was approved prior to 1995, but is it 2.5 mmm thick?

Minimum Dimensions (Ø in mm)

a) Mandatory tubular members

45 x 2.5 (1.75” x 0.095”) or 50 x 2.0 (2.0” x 0.083”).

38 x 2.5 (1.5” x 0.095”) or 40 x 2.0 (1.6” x 0.083”).

(For roll cages/bars approved prior to 1.1.95).

Anyone with something like a Mini Marcos (or a real Marcos, or similar) is going to go from no bar to 4 legged - not off the shelf

The "Caged" cages seem to have some members that are 32mm dia in addition to the main 38mm

Is that OK?

I think the original Cage roll cage design was homologated so as long as it still has its certification should be fine.

By my reckoning the RAC bar should be OK.

So do we just need clarification from Westfield regarding RAC bars tube dia's to confirm wether it comply's with k1.4.1 i.e. 38 x 2.5 (1.5" x 0.095") to be compliant, or is there something else I am missing. Does anyone on here have that knowledge already ?

So do we just need clarification from Westfield regarding RAC bars tube dia's to confirm wether it comply's with k1.4.1 i.e. 38 x 2.5 (1.5" x 0.095") to be compliant, or is there something else I am missing. Does anyone on here have that knowledge already ?

Yes, we could do with some guidance here.

I think the RAC bar is certificated/approved by the MSA, and should have a number stamped on it, but I'm not happy with the rose joints, as they're not in the list of drawings for joints etc, and its a bit low

I'm surprised this has'nt created a greater reaction amongst the owners as I still see a lot of RAC bars with rose joints used in speed events this year. A bit frustrating for me as my car is now more road orientated with hood doors screen etc so buying an MSA bar would spoil that.

Assuming the bar thickness is ok all that would be required is an alternatives to rose joints, a fixed joint of some kind, or just get the back stays welded on instead. Anyone thought of doing this as an alternative to chucking the RAC bar.

SImon

Assuming the bar thickness is ok all that would be required is an alternatives to rose joints, a fixed joint of some kind, or just get the back stays welded on instead. Anyone thought of doing this as an alternative to chucking the RAC bar.

SImon

Could the section to which the rose joint attaches be cut off and then a tubular sleeved section just like that used on the Playskool rollbar/cage be used instead?

Just a thought.

Yes, we could do with some guidance here.

I think the RAC bar is certificated/approved by the MSA, and should have a number stamped on it, but I'm not happy with the rose joints, as they're not in the list of drawings for joints etc, and its a bit low

The RAC approved bar probably met the requirements when it was designed but the regs have moved on and it is now not msa compliant.

The RAC approved bar probably met the requirements when it was designed but the regs have moved on and it is now not msa compliant.

What's confused me are comments such as "For roll cages/bars approved prior to 1.1.95"  Then there is nothing about any approval scheme, but it probably was.

Such wording means nobody wants to give an opinion except perhaps a "No"

I'm at Goodwood at the weekend so I'll ask, but last week they were pointing at mine to show what you had to get

I don't think the RAC bar was homolgated but designed to meet the regs at the time, if you look at a caged cage it will have a homologation sticker on it.

To be honest if a roll bar is mandatory for next year, you would be better fitting a playschools MSA compliant roll bar, otherwise at every sprint you go to you are going to risk being turned away and losing your entry fee.

http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/Narrow-Body-Rollbars---Cages.html 

This is a shame for those with road going cars that wish to maintain the use of full weather gear but I have opted to fit Playskool bar on both my westfields for the added peace of mind.

Being so tall I actually need the extra height it provides to be fair.

I wonder if this will facilitate in creating enough demand for someone to design/make weather gear to suit the MSA bars?  That would be fantastic!

Caterham seem to manage to have various weather gear options for full cages etc so would be great for those wanting to compete and use their westfield everyday if more weather gear options were to become available.

Dave

To be fair, Westfield do weather gear in the form of half hoods for both the full cage and MSA roll bar, so you do have options. Though I know what you mean re full hoods and the MSA bar.