• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Driving on UK roads

hyperfan

Do you mean you don't take the racing line? :d

I make a point of not cutting roundabouts, at least not when there's anyone around. Have a strong dislike for the fools that do it without checking for cars next to them and ironically they're usually the same people who'd "tut" at someone for taking the racing line into a corner! :angry:

:laugh:

I'm sure you read this: 

on a completely empty lane-designated roundabout with no visible approaching vehicles

I agree in with your dislike of those who wander from their designated lane when others are about. It is a common cause of accidents. This was on an industrial estate perimeter and there wasn't a moving vehicle in sight - only parked lorries beyond a fence. It seemed perverse not to use initiative and drive efficiently. Similarly I do not indicate if there is clearly nobody who would be interested in my doing so because it breaks the habit and requires each event to be analysed separately - I don't drive on auto-pilot if I can avoid it. The examiner said "we expect you to drive as you would expect your candidate to drive with strict adherence to the Highway Code." That being the case why did he not brief me to that effect? I had negotiated other roundabouts on the test drive (about three quarters of an hour) and adhered to the lane markings so he knew damned well that this was part of my driving habit. My mistake was to assume that I was to drive like a competent but experienced driver and not doggedly follow rigid rules, but interpret road conditions and drive accordingly.

• Like 1

Dare I even mention the people that do 40mph in a 60, then 40mph in a 30  :p

• Like 1

I have only skimmed the front page, however, one thing most people about to have missed out, it that its an absolute ruddy hoon. I literally cannot drive the car, ever, without enjoying it.

You are lower, so less people see you, and you can see less, and the headlights are lower. Without a roof its also hard to keep the inside of the screen dry, which makes driving when its dark AND wet slightly interesting.

But in the last six years I have had it, doing about 3k miles a year, I have really no issues using it on the roads. Only last night (and every fortnight all summer) I jumped in it, did an hour down to Loughborough (Large dual carrageway half way, followed by back roads) did an autotest event, pub tea, back in the dark. No bother. Love it.

Daniel

Debbie often sleeps in the westy.... As I drive it so slowly

Debbie often sleeps in the westy.... As I drive it so slowly

Doubt that !

she does actually sleep in the car...scouts honour 

Just want to thank Quinten for taking me out in his car last night. Was great fun, good to meet everyone at sywell too, will keep eveyone posted on what car I decide to get :-)

No worries, hope we can welcome you soon to the fold...  you'll never leave ;)

Nice to meet you hyperfan... just dont get a narrow  :p  :yes:  :yes:

Nice to meet you hyperfan... just dont get a narrow  :p  :yes:  :yes:

Why..? If like me, you're getting a bit tubby, take the passenger seat out and just tell people it's a single seater...