• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Driving on UK roads

hyperfan

Hi Guys

Still considering my first westfield, just wondered what they are like to drive on uk roads.

I guess im a little worried about being more vunrable than a normal full size car, I guess they have a lot more protection though than a motorbike.

Be intersted in how people feel about driving them, I guess the problem is not going to be me, more other road users.

I guess like everything with time you get used to it.

Applies to just about any road while driving a Westfield, but always assume you're driving Wonder Woman's airplane, i.e. your absolutely invisible and drive accordingly, leaving yourself an out or plenty of time / space to take evasive action.  The only roads I avoid are busy motorways unless necessary, and then I make sure lorries can see me, particularly foreign ones, and give them masses of space.  Been pretty lucky, only had a few near scrapes over the years due to unfocused drivers.

The other tip is to drive as courteously as possible, let people out, don't honk the horn unless there's absolute danger, smile and wave a lot - if you act in a courteous fashion and look like you're having fun, it's hard for others to get mad at you.

Yes, they are open, but it's rare for anyone to crash, let alone have a serious injury.  We used to have one member (who sold his car and shall remain nameless!) who had more close calls and bumps than an afternoon on the dodge 'ems (not sure how many were his own fault, but significant), and he was never injured.

I drive my Westfield like I ride my Motorbikes......... I assume every other road user is unaware of my presence.  I ride/drive very cautiously and well within the conditions at the time.  I still drive fast when its safe to do so, but don't take unnecessary risks.  Motorway driving can be quite intimidating with large lorries close by, but I tend to avoid motorays if possible as they are not as much fun as the twisty roads.

If you can get a ride in a Westfield, you will get a better idea of what they feel like, and you will be hooked I'm sure....

Jas

Drive to the conditions, drive defensively, properly defensively. And don't forget, while your passive safety "systems" might be a bit lacking, your active ones will be way beyond most.

Its one of the reasons I always try and use the best tyre on the road I can, the extra margin it gives you under braking and manoeuvring can make a huge difference. Make sure you always have somewhere to go. If that means hanging back, hang back, if it means swiftly passing, then do so, (safely).

Remember you're not on a track, you will, most of the time, potentially have on-coming traffic. Don't use racing lines through bends unless it's safe to do so, ie you can see you have the room. Where you haven't got a good view, use the sight lines through a bend instead. (Ie, the line that lets you see furthest through any given corner. Sometimes it will be the quick line, others, you might find yourself approaching the bend on the inside, nearest the apex, just so you can see far enough through).

By no means fool proof, but you also learn to watch other drivers eyes and body language, and "read" whether they've seen you or not.

A large part of all this is done subconsciously though, so the main thing about driving Westfields on the road -

It's huge fun!

Just extra precautions required.

Drive with lights on all the time.

Leave a large gap in front of you at road junctions when in a queue, surprising how many people don't see you in their mirrors as you are low down. 

Drive courteously in your local area, people get to know who you are and where you live, else you'll become a target.

I'm only 700 miles into the "Westy Experience" and can vouch for the fact that the first time you pull up alongside an articulated lorry, you do appreciate how small you are (and mine's smaller than most!).

However, it doesn't take long to realise the measures you need to take (all detailed above) and for me, who drives a tin top 35k miles a year for work, it's put the fun back into motoring in a big way!

Treat everone else like they intend to harm you.

Remember you are below the window line of most SUVs

But on the plus side, you have all round visibility and I've developed an owl like ability to spin my head round.

And I will be honest the telepathic responses from my Westie got me out of one scrape where I would have bent the tin top.

The nature of a lot of UK roads in that they are tight and windy suit the Westie so well, you'd be daft not to..!

In addition to all the good advice above you can consider various kit which may give you peace of mind.

Harnesses will keep you planted in your seat.
An appropriate roll bar that does not expose your head with the car on its roof! Even better a cage – some come with a side impact bar (of sorts)
A plumbed fire extinguisher or at least an accessible one.
Battery cut off switch.
Helmet or decent eye protection.

And probably a lot more..

I drive my Westfield just like I used to ride my bikes - assume everyone else hasn't seen you until you're sure they have.  In 15 years I've only twice had someone obliviously pull out of a junction in front of me though.  One of those was a pretty close call but no contact was made

I too was concerned about my Westfield being less visible (even in bright orange) so, like many others, fitted day time running lights. They have less of an effect when avoiding being side swiped by someone moving lane but they do make you more visible when someone is looking towards the front.

Hi Guys

Still considering my first westfield, just wondered what they are like to drive on uk roads.

I guess im a little worried about being more vunrable than a normal full size car, I guess they have a lot more protection though than a motorbike.

Be intersted in how people feel about driving them, I guess the problem is not going to be me, more other road users.

I guess like everything with time you get used to it.

Whereabouts are you in Northampton?  The weather is going to be really nice (so they say!) nearer the end of the week, so if you like, I can take you out in mine?

Whereabouts are you in Northampton?  The weather is going to be really nice (so they say!) nearer the end of the week, so if you like, I can take you out in mine?

@ Hyperfan... Just to let you know, Quinten's is one of those subtle, shy, hard to spot Westies...

So if you feel a little bit invisible dont worry.

You can also get them in shouty Dark Green (Stuart's) or Navy (mine) if you want to stand out more...

• Like 1

In addition to all the good advice so far it's perhaps worth remembering that the openness to the elements, the feeling of vulnerability and the lack of driver aids and safety equipment is what makes driving a Westfield so exciting - at least to me anyway. They will never be as safe as a modern tin top but the tin top will never be as much fun. Go for it!

Gareth

If you feel a crash coming on, choose another car in which to have it!

Seriously though, someone I know (not me) span a Westfield coming off a roundabout and went backwards up on to the verge and came to a sharp stop against a tall main road type of lamp-post. As he was sitting thanking his lucky stars that he'd come off unscathed, the head of the lamp post fell from its lofty perch and smashed to pieces less than three feet from the car.  :oops:  Had it hit him he would have seen stars alright!

If you look at my car in the avatar <<< you will see that I have added a yellow nose band and stripe. Also have some DRL from Halfords.  Both of these are intended to reduce the invisibility of my car.  

My first Westy I built myself and had it written off inside three months having been smacked by a Ducati.  Happily he only glanced off the front wheel, removed the drivers door mirror and much of the back of the car.  He was overtaking a queue of traffic over double white lines in an S bend thinking he could see over the cars in front.  He thought he could but didn't take into account that a Westy being so low would be hidden. 

An aged aunt of mine used to say about risk taking that what happens if it was you (ie another risk taker) coming in the opposite direction?  A good point IMO.

You may well feel nervous comparing a ride in a Westy with a ride in a Range Rover but content when comparing it with a ride on the back of a bike.