Alternative to booze - suggestions..?

John K

You need to make a number of small changes IMO.  For example, try going out for a 15min walk every evening as well as everything else.

Sex

Oh no worries, I get plenty of that....

Shame nobody else is there...

You need to make a number of small changes IMO.  For example, try going out for a 15min walk every evening as well as everything else.

So is that a 15min. walk to the Pub?

I work away a lot and was used to having a few drinks in the hotel bar each night. 

The adult channels are a great alternative, keeps you out of the bar AND provides some exercise! Suggest you swap hands every so often though. 

I was in the same boat, gave up cider and beer and swapped to gin and slimline.  :yes:  :d

My wife got me into drinking 2 litres of water per day.  Like you I used to think water was boring but there is some method to her madness.  Drinking a decent quantity of water helps combat the munchies (I used to head for the fridge at 11pm no matter what I'd eaten during the evening) now I don't.  Its actually a win win...I've lost almost 2 stone in 8 weeks and that's half my target amount.

My other top tip is if you're going to have a blow-out, like a curry night etc, then have a few beers first, a good feed and then get back on the water for another week.  Its a sort of treat but only once in a while.

Anyway, everyone's different, you need to find what works for you....!

I need to cut down on my nightly intake of beer, I'm a lover of real ales, with so many about these days, I really am spoilt for choice, but no doubt my liver is getting spoilt in the process

I do occasionally have a night on the diet coke, but that has aspartame in it, which is bad for you, I may well substitute the coke for water as CraigHew suggested.

It's surprising how one's taste changes.  I have diabetes and have eliminated all kinds of sugary food and drink.  I really dislike them now - they taste strange!

It's surprising how one's taste changes.  I have diabetes and have eliminated all kinds of sugary food and drink.  I really dislike them now - they taste strange!

Unfortunately so true... In my late teens I hated alcohol and curry - totally serious BTW

Then I got a job travelling the world and it all changed. Rampant curry monster now...

I used to drink 4 or 5 cans of regular coke a day (it was all you can drink at work) but I made the switch to diet coke to be "healthy" and now I can't stand regular coke, way too sweet. Next I need to swap diet coke for water, this is much harder for me.

Try drinking low alcohol or alcohol free beer, might even be lower in calories. You certainly won't drink as much of it cause of the taste.

Not drinking on school nights is simples if you stick to these simple rules :)

1, Relationship support drinking does not count, so if the missis has a bad day at work and needs a glass of wine its only right to join her :t-up:

2, If you could still legally drive (please don't let this turn into a drink driving debate :o ) then its not real drinking so does not count :t-up:

3, Drinking on "Thirsty Thursday" does not count, period :p

Works for me just fine :d

i agree with coke thing. i still have coke here and there but normal coke is so sweet, diet coke is just as bad and coke zero is not far behind. much prefer the 50:50 hi juice stuff.

one thing to consider is not just swapping to low sugar its cutting them out all together. Aspartame is used as the sweetener in the low sugar/non sugar drinks and is as bad for you as the sugar is. personally i would stick with whole sugar and cut it down.

the comment about water is interesting and backs up the hypothesis that eating is a habit thing.

I read an article a few years ago about the thirst reflex. IIRC a study suggested that the human thirst reflex is diminishing and is often mistaken for hunger and so we end up eating when we should be drinking. Not sure if it's true but it does make you think!

I know we should all be drinking more water anyway...