New Top Gear presenter ******** (Lord Give me strength)

SootySport

Good grief. 

(I quite like her as a light hearted presenter on other stuff, but TG, even with a fresh format? Why not someone with at least a journalistic background?)

I think the 'Diversity' dept. have been at work here.  Jobs have to be advertised to the Diverse labour market these days, hence the rapidly approaching 'Boresville' in TV programmes.   Having the right person who can do the job is fast becoming a rarity. 

If the job goes to someone female, the TV set will be having flower arrangements, coffee mugs and cakes on view, in other words the motoring content will take second place.

So will TG turn into another "factual" motor review program? Where they test drive Ford KAs and Nissan Micras?

she ticks a lot of BBC boxes 

She's not black or Muslim, one box ticked out of three, I think the BBC is losing it's touch.

I think the 'Diversity' dept. have been at work here.  Jobs have to be advertised to the Diverse labour market these days, hence the rapidly approaching 'Boresville' in TV programmes.   Having the right person who can do the job is fast becoming a rarity. 

If the job goes to someone female, the TV set will be having flower arrangements, coffee mugs and cakes on view, in other words the motoring content will take second place.

Ain't this the truth :(

Forget employing the best person for the job, on an equal basis, regardless of background or ethnicity. It's more like find someone of the "correct" background/ethnicity and throw them in regardless of talent/ability.

I read Phil Glenister was the favourite yesterday.

Nah, I like him as an actor, and the classic car series he did was interesting, he was OK on a couple of the cars that he could make a personal connection too - like old family memories, but with those he couldn't personalise, his mask just kept slipping too much. No real interest in the engineering, or the driving, or the competition side. And something of smug superiority when it came to the petrol heads he met. Plus he's an actor, he doesn't write his own scripts, always dodgy ground to be on with something like this.

I know the "old lot" could be smug, pompous, arrogant etc at times about car stuff and the car bores  :d  that go along with it. But when they did it, it was more like family members winding people up. Whatever they said, you knew they still "got" the whole thing. And that's what I doubt the luvvie ridden left wing BBC will get. 

If they make the mistake of trying to keep the formula just the same, they are likely to try and parachute in someone to be the "same" but different. And unless that's either someone with relevant experience/respect earned, or someone that although from an unrelated field, comes across as a bit of an enthusiast too, it's likely to all go badly wrong!

Sue Perkins has said that she is not interested at all, in fact she has now gone off Twitter as the usual 2 brain cell internet warriors have sent death threats etc to her.

She is good in some things but never in a million years would even the BBC put here in that place. Yes she ticks the boxes, woman, gay, short hair, PC but the important box, understanding cars is missing.

I heard that on the radio - death threats??  What sort of moron do you get on twitter.  We can be quite rude, in jest, but that's bizarre.

I think the BBC have shot themselves in the foot anyway.  My vote was for Sabine Schmitz

Spot on Jeff, it wouldn't work with her anyway.

Bob :(

I quite like Sue Perkins TBH, so I'll reserve judgement til I've seen it.