Clarkson suspended

*Emma*

Once again there is nothing in employment law that demands a certain punishment. What is required is a full investigation and every fact found out.

In the case I was involved with both the staff accepted they were equally to blame and being adults understood that both could be sacked, no one wanted that to happen and all agreed that this was out of character for both. They accepted that a slap, pushing and shoving was not acceptable.

The sensible thing was to not sweep it under the carpet it was to deal with it as adults.

We accept people can make mistakes and the default should be to deal with disciplinary action to improve behaviour not to punish.

Unfortunately we live in a society obsessed with witch hunting. Rather than tackling the cause of the problem, we find someone to blame, shame them, punish them and leave it at that.

• Like 1

Storm in a teacup, total over-reaction by the BBC and obviously the press are bigging it up for their own ends.  Why take the show off?  If an employee takes a swing at another then you don't close the workplace down, do you? 

The petition to bring him back is approaching 400,000 signatures

I think a better reaction would have been to present Top Gear without him during the investigations. Whilst that's unthinkable for a whole series, the other two could probably carry it for the last three episodes.

I had an idea last night.  TG can go ahead without JC if RH and JM are still there, we just need a presenter who is talented at driving, has television skills, is widely admired, brings a certain tension to the show, and is less likely to offend everything they get near.

The answer is obvious.

Replace JC with Sabine Schmidt. :love:

Brings in the lady viewers, gives us males something to lust over, she can drive as well as the Stig, attractive, a sense of humour and a bubbly personality... nothing but good.  The dynamic with JM and RH would be quite good as well.  I'm willing to bet after one series with Sabine you'll be saying "Jeremy who?".

• Like 4

There's no such thing as bad publicity............................ ;)

I think I've read somewhere the Jezza owns the production company that produce TG ???

So if he does, and he thinks one of the producers is a k*** or summat, why didn't he just sack him ?

Simples :d

I'm with the Chairman on this, Sabine Schmidt gets my vote.

What I can't understand is that Clarkson may be a grumpy old git, but is a coward with it.  What did the producer have to do to provoke such a response?

There's no such thing as bad publicity............................ ;)

I think I've read somewhere the Jezza owns the production company that produce TG ???

So if he does, and he thinks one of the producers is a k*** or summat, why didn't he just sack him ?

Simples :d

He did have a controlling stake but sold it to BBC Worldwide

He sold for a lot of money! About £12M if I recall

I'm beginning to think this is the BBC testing the waters to see if they can get rid of the JC thorn in their side.

I'm beginning to think this is the BBC testing the waters to see if they can get rid of the JC thorn in their side.

I think I agree. It's more in the tone of their press releases and statements than anything. There's an air of finality about it. I suspect the decision is already made and everything anything else is window dressing.

While it would be interesting to see if JM and RH stick to their previously frequently repeated "one goes, we all go" statements, I strongly suspect they won't get a chance. Those that want JC gone, want the show gone just as much.

Further reading, the argument was apparently over catering arrangements (or lack of) after filming on location in Newcastle.

Ahh that explains it then - JC isn't fond of Stottie Cake. If he'd have come to me I could have pointed him to the better establishments ;)

it's rumoured that his BBC contract is up for renewal soon, and this is a cynical stunt by JC to muster support for his re-negotiation fees.

I can't imagine why this is (big) news when there's so much real crap to worry about in the world.  I'm not a Clarkson fan,  although I've read most of his books and watch TG every week.

As a licence-payer I'm dismayed that the next few episodes / rest of the series has been canned. God knows there are enough cookery programmes bulking out the TV listings.  Anything remotely connected to petrol and wheels get recorded in our house (then I watch it when the wife says I can).

As has been stated, not sure why TG cannot continue for the next few weeks in Limp mode without JC, and yes a nice bit of totty presenter would be welcomed.

As a substitute I've started downloading and watching episodes of Roadkill (via youtube) which, although American in the extreme, are sometimes quite entertaining....

mmmmm  Stottie Cake, especially with a saveloy dip filling......

• Like 2

Taking a swing (not sure if he made contact) but if he has = instant sacking in my book unless self defence.

• Like 1