• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Which MX5 ?

Chris Hooper

Cool, do you think 550kgs would be possible from a road-going car with aeroscreen and half a tank of fuel? I'm planning on using a LWFW, lithium ion battery, light wheels and already got pretty light seats and just one runner (Tillet B6's)

I want a spare scuttle so I can leave it with a windscreen most of the time though!

550kg would be possible I imagine

You'd definitely have to cut back on other areas too. Removing all surplus wiring for sure if you're using the mx5 loom. I would start a fresh loom and use thinner gauge cable where possible.

Depends what you class as "road going" really. Could use a tiny aeroscreen, remove all carpets, no bootbox, carbon boot cover, no hood etc, only a standard roll hoop, no spare wheel etc etc

I was surprised at the different weights at the essex meet - Mark has literally all the tourer gear except heater I believe and I don't have a lot on mine. I can easily think of lots of areas that could be made lighter easily but the cost/benefit not worth it for me. I only have the standard roll hoop so will probably be adding weight  :laugh:

I do have a long range tank, but can't remember how much fuel was in there on the day, pretty full I think

I think 550kgs is a nice target to aim for. I want carpets and an MSA roll bar though so I have got my work cut out for me.

I'll definitely be removing any excess wiring and shortening where possible. Wiring is what I'm least confident about though. I was never going to have a spare wheel or hood etc and will probably use 13" alloys.

If it helps:

Name Car / Car & Driver
Alex 531.0 / 620.5 (Narrow, 1.6 4AGE, aeroscreen)
Pete 556.0 / 638.5 (Narrow, 1.6 VX, screen )
Kevin 570.5 668.5 (Wide, 2.0 Zetec, aeroscreen)
Marcus 573.0 / 650.5 (Wide, 1.6 Mazda, aeroscreen)
Chris 575.5 / 676.5 (Narrow, 2.0 VX, aeroscreen + Cage )
Mark 592.0 / 656.0 (Wide, 1.6 Mazda, screen)
Tim 595.0 / 687.0 (Wide, 1.6 Sigma, screen)
Bernie 595.5 / 693.0 (Wide, 2.0 VX, screen)
Andy 597.0 / 681.0 (Wide, 2.0 Zetec, aeroscreen)
Graham 601.0 / 702.0 (Wide, 1.6 X-Flow, aeroscreen)
Dave 609.5 / 684.5 (Wide, 1.8 Mazda, aeroscreen)
Mike 621.5 / 710.5 (Wide, 2.0 Zetec, screen)
Stuart 636.0 / 723.0 (Wide, 2.0 Zetec, aeroscreen) 

Yep, that's me.

just over half a tank of fuel, 4 speed type E gearbox, no heater, no proper seats (just swabs) and 1.6 vx all help keep the weight down.

Also the winter upgrade this year has been a change from steel wheels to alloy ones so hoping to be another 12kg lighter this year.

not all 13's fit over the mx5 brakes, so be careful

deffo no 13's on 1.8 brakes tho

Cool, do you think 550kgs would be possible from a road-going car with aeroscreen and half a tank of fuel? I'm planning on using a LWFW, lithium ion battery, light wheels and already got pretty light seats and just one runner (Tillet B6's)

I want a spare scuttle so I can leave it with a windscreen most of the time though!

I think 550 is an optimistic but achievable target for a 1.6. If you are scuttle swapping, don't run the wiring loom through it as the manual says. Pretty sure you were one of the ones who hadn't but thought worth mentioning just in case.

If you're using 1.6 brakes, then you may be able to find some 13s that fit.

Just out of curiosity, do any of the usual suspects, Willwood, Hi Spec etc do alternative callipers for the MX5 that could be used, make 13" wheels easier to fit?

Flyin' Miata do a kit to make dynalites fit, but the calipers they sell are bigger than the MX5s rather than smaller. I don't know if there are smaller calipers that would bolt to the same bracket... presumably not as the bracket would push the caliper closer to the wheel anyway and the MX5 calipers aren't that big.

Smokey Mow had some experience of 13s I thought, or at least knowledge of them on the 1.6.

Smokey runs 14 IIRC

As above 13's don't fit over 1.8 brakes

Not all 13's fit over 1.6 brakes

Smokey runs 14 IIRC

As above 13's don't fit over 1.8 brakes

Not all 13's fit over 1.6 brakes

Yes 14's on my car but i have trial fitted a pair of 13's.

The biggest issue is clearance to the caliper which I doubt fitting anything aftermarket will help improve much. It was a pair of weller steel rims I fitted which have a very narrow rim section and it was very close with them so I would imagine an alloy with a thicker rim would be very tight indeed. IMO there is no chance 13's would fit over the larger 1.8 brakes even with different calipers.

I'm probably going to look at a set of 13s this weekend so I'll throw a few bits of the rear corner in the boot and take a few pictures even if I don't end up buying them if it's of any help.

I'm probably going to look at a set of 13s this weekend so I'll throw a few bits of the rear corner in the boot and take a few pictures even if I don't end up buying them if it's of any help.

take a front corner as they're the worst for clearance. The 13's I have are on a 10" wide rim and they fit the rears just fine :)
  • Like 1

take a front corner as they're the worst for clearance. The 13's I have are on a 10" wide rim and they fit the rears just fine :)

Cheers, I'll have to get to work pulling the front corner off the MX5 so!