• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Which glasses/goggles for aero driving?

Dodgey

Pay your money and take your chances, my eyes are something I am unwilling to take risks over. I have used lots of different goggles in the lab ( part of the day job) to protect my eyes from spills and accidents but wouldn't wear any of them in the Westie.

I can't tell whether the spoggles in the link have a specification to protect the eye from high speed projectiles as it is not clear? If they do have that spec then a real bargin. I have a friend who has lost the sight in one eye from inappropriate eyewear on a motorcycle and don't fancy the same. Suppose it depends on whether they are for windscreen versus aeroscreen cars as well.

Safety info is here: http://www.bolle-safety.com/safety-spectacles/tracker-tracpsf

Mechanical risk - Low energy impact - F

Low energy impact, resists a 6 mm, 0.86 g ball at 45 m/s

Mechanical risk- High speed particles at extreme temperatures - T

The letter T, immediately after the mechanical strength symbol, authorises use for high speed particles at extreme temperatures.

Mechanical risk- Medium energy impact - B

Medium energy impact, resists a 6 mm, 0.86 g ball at 120 m/s

I wear ESS Advancer V12 goggles, which are British army issue.

http://www.esseyepro.com/ESS-to-Introduce-Advancer-V-12-Goggle_9_news.html

Thanks for the heads up on these!!  :)

Got a pair for £25, ex-mod, new/unworn, but carrying a little sand inside the bag (fresh from Afghanistan no doubt).

I don't have an aeroscreen, so they're not for aero driving (as per the OP), but i'd been looking for some goggles to let me:

a) Get the side screens off without getting a face full of hair.

b) Not have to impede my vision by wearing my 20 yr old Oakley sunglasses in the dark.

Will also be using them on the mountain bike, for those long/fast gravel filled downhill sections :d

IMG_20150108_173429.jpg

Why do you say they are not for aero driving?

I think  he just meant he'd be using them in a car with a windscreen, not that you couldn't use them with an aeroscreen! (I did a double take too, before re-reading the sentence)

I think  he just meant he'd be using them in a car with a windscreen, not that you couldn't use them with an aeroscreen! (I did a double take too, before re-reading the sentence)

This ^^

I meant I don't have aeroscreen.

I could quite possibly have worded that better :laugh:

Have a look in Aldi this week. They are doing some sports glasses with case and three sets of lenses for £6.99. Bought a pair as spare for the passenger. Very similar to my Dixons.

How do you cope with those over glasses Martin? (I'm in a similar boat myself, would like something for a bit of added protection, particularly on the motorway,  (since I've had a windscreen, it's felt a bit exposed on the motorway etc).

I've tried the various types of eye protection with dedicated prescription inserts and just don't get on with them. So I need to look for something that will fit over the top of normal spectacles.  :( 

How do you cope with those over glasses Martin? (I'm in a similar boat myself, would like something for a bit of added protection, particularly on the motorway,  (since I've had a windscreen, it's felt a bit exposed on the motorway etc).

I've tried the various types of eye protection with dedicated prescription inserts and just don't get on with them. So I need to look for something that will fit over the top of normal spectacles.  :(

I :swear: by them!!

I'll stick a pair in my car and bring them over on the 18th and you can try them for size.

• Like 1

Thanks Martin, much appreciated!