RIP Tax Discs

Captain Colonial

Tax disc - Will you still show yours?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The tin top doesn't run out till the end of January. I'm sure I'll take it off before then, but nor rushing out to do it especially! (Added my own answer to the poll, just because I'm feeling lazy - and awkward! :p :p :p:d:blush: )

Took mine off the tin top this morning - a tad disconcerting when you're driving and it's no longer there, feels wrong somehow even if it looks better without IMO.

Sod it...

Just took mine out of the tin top.

Felt good, but dirty at the same time...

Leaving it in the Westie as it hides a crack in the corner of the windscreen...

I removed mine from the Westie and my Merc yesterday, over £400.00 :t-up: :t-up: :t-up:   It was my job as a lad to put all the tax discs on the farm vehicles, the cars and Land Rover were about £2.00 but I can clearly remember the tractors were 5/-  ( 5 old shillings or 25 of your new pence ) mind you petrol was  2/6d a gallon ( 12 of your new pence). Motor bikes had front number plates then, perhaps that's the next motoring accessory we can do without?? 

I removed mine from the Westie and my Merc yesterday, over £400.00 :t-up: :t-up: :t-up:   It was my job as a lad to put all the tax discs on the farm vehicles, the cars and Land Rover were about £2.00 but I can clearly remember the tractors were 5/-  ( 5 old shillings or 25 of your new pence ) mind you petrol was  2/6d a gallon ( 12 of your new pence). Motor bikes had front number plates then, perhaps that's the next motoring accessory we can do without?? 

2/6d = 12 1/2p.  Don't ask me how I know....... :p

Having worked in the motor trade for over 35 years it feels strange to deliver a new car without a disc on the screen. Suppose I will get used to it eventually.

I decided not to use 1/2 pence as it's no longer legal tender unless you are selling fuel and they still apparently can sell down to 1/10 pence, the CEO was excited to see petrol at 1.28p a litre, a trap we still all fall into when it's actually 128.9p how are they allowed display a sum not legal tender????

When I tow my car on a trailer I like many don't cover the number plate

With these number plate cameras will they read both trailer and car on trailers number plates and send me a fine?

I actually picked up my new car yesterday, so in theory had to have a disc for one day only.

In fact though, the garage hadn't received the physical disc in time - and they said a new car has a grace period, so not to worry.

They still stuck an empty tax disc holder on the windscreen though!

When I tow my car on a trailer I like many don't cover the number plate

With these number plate cameras will they read both trailer and car on trailers number plates and send me a fine?

The ANPR notifications are checked by a human operator if a Police car picks them up.   Not sure about the cameras from DVLA sources.   The fact you haven't had a letter from the DVLA so far means the system is working and someone is checking.   Not having a tax disc displayed from now on is not going to make any difference.

Going to need another sticker now to cover the holes left by the winscreen removal

If you were going to clone a number plate, then it would have only been five minutes extra work to Photoshop and print a convincing tax disk, at least from a few feet away.