Could 'we' build a Westie from our spares..?

John K

Monday 15:00 at the Marquee. Now there's a deadline!

About 15 years back we were barging a refinery cracking column into Grangemouth docks. Cos of the weight the only time there was enough water for the barge to clear the docks entrance was the Spring high tide.

If we missed that it was a six month wait till the next one.

I feel a similar level of jeopardy on this build..!

I love the idea, but... Assuming we pull it all together who will decide who uses this? Where will it be kept? Will it be adapted for injured, as otherwise ex servicemen with no disabilities could do this without our help.

Liabilities, on going maintenance, MSA licence for each driver, entry fees, just a short list of possible problems none insurmountable but on going costs will be incurred by our club, how practical is this? 

All very, very good questions.

That's why I thought a topic for why and how would be a good thing...

My view and this is only my view so I am very happy to be told to 'go raffle myself' is that we build it and then donate it to a charity possibly like Mission Motorsport to run and look after.

I don't think we have the logistic to become a 'works team'

It is wether folk are prepared to give up spares and time to then lose control of what we built...

A massive can of worms. Perhaps the first thing is a vote to see if the majority want to do this.

at a push could the car just build it as a car, and sold on and then give the cash over?

as nice an idea as it is there must be better performance cars out there suited to this idea and if we did just build a car and sell it then it would just be that a second hand westfield so no red tape etc. it would be no different to me selling my westfield.

at a push could the car just build it as a car, and sold on and then give the cash over?

as nice an idea as it is there must be better performance cars out there suited to this idea and if we did just build a car and sell it then it would just be that a second hand westfield so no red tape etc. it would be no different to me selling my westfield.

Dom, I suspect that it may not be quite that simple. If the car is built under the banner of the WSCC and then sold then the liabilities and insurance implications would be quite different for us as an organisation compared to that of a private sale.

Not wishing to be a killjoy but the club insurance does not cover us for activities such as this so it is an issue that would need to be properly investigated by whoever volunteers to take this forward. It may be different or easier if a group of individuals within the club wanted to get together as a "private project" and build a car between them using the club forum to attract donations etc but again this would need to be looked at closely by all those involved.

that's sort of what i was getting at mark. rather than build a car a club to sell on an individual builds/registers/IVA's the car then sells it. just he got the bits together via people giving him them or money so he can buy bits?

Do we need an engine? How about a silver top zetec?

If we could make it go using a set of st170 inlet manifold plenum etc then all the better

Err - I actually might have both of those spare soon along with a gearbox and throttle bodies if std plenum's no use - no lowered sump tho - BUT I may need to flog it all to fund other items :(