Suggestions for a new car

BudSlater

Octavia VRS

All the way for me....

^^^ Very impressive car for the cash...!

I would have suggested the Seat Exeo, Skoda Superb or Octavia estates but don't think Bud could handle an upmarket brand. :)

Agree with all of these.

I have Octavia VRS D  - brill car and such value, low insurance, economical etc

Acceleration WITH Westie on trailer shocked a few other road users last time out!

And dead cheap to mod performance further if you want more.

I actually think it's the cool one to go for.  :cool:

Agree with all of these.

I have Octavia VRS D  - brill car and such value, low insurance, economical etc

Acceleration WITH Westie on trailer shocked a few other road users last time out!

And dead cheap to mod performance further if you want more.

I actually think it's the cool one to go for.  :cool:

I'll be honest, a VRs hatch would suit, I just need something I can chuck a load of life / car crud into the back of. Today, my boy goes on camp so if having a rucksack and the boot's nearly full for goodness sake!!!!

The ONLY thing I don't like about the Skoda / Seat is the interior, they are a bit of a let down when compared to the equiverlant A4. But the Audi is 10 grand for a 2007/8 and the same age Octavia is around 5........

I just need something I can chuck a load of life / car crud into the back of.

Octavia certainly does that. 4 people, two 4 man tents and a full weekend's worth of gear for the F1, no problem. 3 people, 3 mountain bikes plus relevant kit, also no problem. God knows what the estate version could swallow!

Actually, that's a really good point, bike swallowing abilities would be great as we all go out on them fairly regularly

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ok, so to follow up on this, the Boxster went to a new home and in its place sits a Mk5 Golf GTi. Bargain as < 100K miles, 1 owner, full VW history for £4k! Ticks a lot of the original boxes, so I didn't stray too far!!!!!

I have a mk1 vrs and cant fault it. The interior is bits from a golf so its AVG quality. It pulls the trailer with XTR on with ease.....it has been remapped so it has a little extra get up and go. I put my bikes on a tow bar mounted thule carrier, this leaves the boot free for all the other stuff. Simple. I would recommend jabba sports for tuning, worked for me.

Mazda 3 or 6 on a par with vw but you don't pay the premium

The 2.2 diesel turbo motor is a corker !!

Owned a 59 plate Mazda 6 ts2 for the last 2 years, looking for a smaller 3 sport now as we've sold our caravan

Having worked as a fitter for mazda I can't recommend them highly enough

I know yr decision has been made, but just my two penneth : )

Oh boy, another thread where someone asks for advice on a car and buys something totally different after 3 pages of replies!  :d  ;)

The Chairman was right then, although only two pages of replies!

Have you considered an LR Discovery?  It will tick every box accept the oomph bit and you'll get a good'n for your budget.  

Also, despite not having said oomph, they are great fun to drive.  The shear size, elevated driving position and agricultural sort of feel make them quite a blast to drive (I kid you not, I really love mine).  Apparently a remap can increase both performance and mpg but I wouldn't know, I like it enough in standard form.

Plus you can scratch the green laning / off roading itch on occasion.  

• Like 1

Anyone any comment on the vrs petrol? The capex on the 2nd hand market it much lower than the diesels and I don't do many miles these days so would more than out way the extra fuel cost. Our westie hobbies spread into all expensive aspects of our lives don't they :)

Anyone any comment on the vrs petrol? The capex on the 2nd hand market it much lower than the diesels and I don't do many miles these days so would more than out way the extra fuel cost. Our westie hobbies spread into all expensive aspects of our lives don't they :)

Had 2 Mk1's and would buy one without hesitation. Loved it to bits.

you need to revisit BMW land.  I've had a 520d since new in 2008, its just about to clock up 100k always returns 55mpg+ has decent performance for a big heavy car, but the biggest positive point for me is the uber build quality.  Its the SE so has fairly decent spec

Everything works 100%, the interior is still great and when it does get a wax and polish the exterior looks fine too.

My only regret is that I didn't consider the 530d/535d as I think they could have been even better but the deal on the 520d was too good to miss.

Ultimately with cars, like women, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. On the flip side, in our 6 year relationship the Beemer hasn't had so much as a cross word with me....

Oh boy, another thread where someone asks for advice on a car and buys something totally different after 3 pages of replies!  :d  ;)

The Chairman was right then, although only two pages of replies!

I'm not sure I agree with you...

I do about 15k miles per year so diesel probably... Golf gets 39mpg on my daily commute

Gotta have a good chunk of oompf to keep me amused on the country lane commute and also to pull a westie... 200hp as standard with 250 if I fancy a remap

Budget around 7-10k. It came in under this

And it needs to be desirable... I think it can be classed as this. It's not a Kia

Must be a manual as auto boxes cost a fricking fortune when they die it is.

Its not great on fuel (< 25mpg)Golf gets 39mpg on my daily commute

Its only got 2 seats and I have an other half and a 9 year old son so it's not the best Golf has 5 seats

I can't stick a towbar on it and tow the westie to the track I certainly can

I regularly need to collect seats / engines / gearboxes / dashboards for the westie and I can't fit them in the micro-boots of the Boxster This is now an option

So given this, I think the chairman was actually wrong!

you need to revisit BMW land.  I've had a 520d since new in 2008, its just about to clock up 100k always returns 55mpg+ has decent performance for a big heavy car, but the biggest positive point for me is the uber build quality.  Its the SE so has fairly decent spec

Everything works 100%, the interior is still great and when it does get a wax and polish the exterior looks fine too.

My only regret is that I didn't consider the 530d/535d as I think they could have been even better but the deal on the 520d was too good to miss.

Ultimately with cars, like women, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. On the flip side, in our 6 year relationship the Beemer hasn't had so much as a cross word with me....

I will only revisit BMW land when hell freezes over. I had an 06 plate E90 which, after 45K miles, eat its auto box. Full BMWSH. Stuff happens, but the stink that the dealer and the head office kicked up about it was appalling. They acted like it had done 245K miles, not 45K and that and I quote the dealer "it doesn't seem unreasonable for an auto box to die at 45K miles". When I asked to film him saying this, so I could show it to the people looking at the used cars on his plot, he changed his mind quickly...... And this was a main dealer...

• Like 1