Tyre Information

Plays-Kool

When i was competing standard practice was for msa to mark any tyres that were to be removed from the list with asterist 1 year before they were removed.

That is still the standard MSA practice when a specific tyre is being removed.  However here it is more to do with "E" rating for tyre/compound combination - "E" rating is a generic requirement for List 1A and 1B tyres.  I believe the big issue here is environmental issues with only the very soft compounds (super soft) as they wear out too quickly and therefore need to be disposed of more frequently than the harder compounds (their noise levels may also be a bit higher).

So as soon as the "E" rating is removed from a specific tyre/compound combination then there is no lead time for the removal of the tyre from a roadgoing competition perspective when the MSA rules are applied in the local regulations - it is instant.

The MSA do not control, and have nothing to do with, the "E" rating of a tyre and so the final decision will be out of their control unless they change the Bluebook to enable their continued use for a certain period to enable motorsport tyre manufacturers and supplies run down their stocks.

Well - I've ordered my 13" wheels....

It'll be the wooden spoon if i keep to my current wheels and Toyo T1Rs,

BUT this thread leaves me with a dilemma on which tyres to short list!?  ???   :down:

Was aiming for ZZRs (if enough left in my budget after higher priority purchases) but do I risk it if I cannot use them next year! :bangshead::(

Personally I would just go for the ZZRs (or Kumho's if you can't afford ZZRs) there are too many unknowns and rumors at the moment to make any definitive decision.  All the relevant bodies take ages in making decisions and I would be surprised if sorted before next season.

FILFAN will vouch for the benefits of using either of these tyres after running with Steve Everall's tyres at Snetterton. 

I wonder how this will affect sports bikes. They must run very soft tyres

I wonder how this will affect sports bikes. They must run very soft tyres

It will make it very difficult to get anywhere near the full potential out of them and also make them very dangerous in the wrong hands. IMHO the very quick bikes cannot be used to their full potential on the road and are best left for the track.  Even then most (but not all) personal limits are well below the limit of these bikes.

I used to get c2000 miles per set when riding my bikes on the road.