Tyre Information

Plays-Kool

Personally I think it's one of those risks worth taking. The track day guys will always buy them off you in a few years time, when the get outlawed. Don;t forget the timing issue, because the list is only make and model, tyre manufacturers may have some stock left so will want to leave on MSA list for another year or so after they are supposed to go out of production. Just to be able to clear them.

Stupid really as has already been said, everyone will all be on slicks soon from Avon and double the money  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

• Like 1

Won't ACB10s be Group G as well? In fact all the super soft sprint and hillclimb tyres will almost certainly be group G. That is the problem, super soft tyres wear very quickly, so are in group g as far as tyre wear is concerned.

We might as well all wait and see. Those who do a "full" season of sprinting and/or hillclimbing probably buy at least one set of tyres each year anyway. If it does all come to pass, the answer is likely to mean that we'll end up having to use a medium/hard rubber list 1B tyre which is more likely to be group F (or E?) such as the regular trackdayers use, I should imagine. A very retrograde step if it comes to pass, because the tyres won't heat up enough on  the shorter tracks to work properly. The other solution would be for those who compete on list 1B tyres at present to move into a slicks class, like Nick says. When I look at some of the machinery in classes E & F of our championship, that is not an appealing thought.

The MSA and other motorsports organisations should be making representations to the Govt. in my opinion. Then again, it is probably the EEC which is forcing such a measure on us. :(  :(  :cry:  :cry:

Yep, had a look at the Avon ZZR's as well as the Toyo R888/R1R's they're G for "effficiency/consumption" too, so likewise will be gone.

I suspect you're right, all the current breed of sticky and super sticky "trackday special" rubber will go. Even more worrying, is the news that group F is to follow.

I suppose the question is, will anyone bother, or be able, to make a tyre that conforms, and yet offers more grip than the 1B style tyres. (Speaking as a road user, rather than a competitor).

Maybe the MSA could add another tyre class for restricted use on otherwise road going cars!!!!!!

Then the track day / competition market is still their to make super soft and soft tyre manufacture viable :)

It sounds like a plan to me :)

After all how many drive too the event on super soft tyres any way (super soft I said before I get shot down)

I ran on my normal medium hard tyres last season and had a blast ;) for the record :)

The ACB10's are getting away without the EU tyre labeling regulation on them as they are designed to be fitted to a car that was first registered before 1 October 1990. I think some people might be changing when their car's were first registered!  :laugh:  :laugh:

In the bigger picture most road going production sprint cars drive to an event and kit cars have in the main been road legal race cars trailed to and from events

So I can't see things being changed for us :(

Here is a response somebody received from Toyo last March:

Here is what Toyo say:

"TOYO motorsport department confirms that the EU deadlines apply to 8 tyre sizes for the G tyre (namely, 185/60R13-3G; 185/60R14-2G; 165/50R15-2G; 195/50R15-2G; 195/50-3G; 205/50R15-3G and 225/45R16-3G), out of their range of 73 R888's but states that they will probably subtly modify the R888's to comply with F until 2018 and then bring out a near equivalent that complies with the law post 2018."

Source is here:

http://www.soarerworld.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-31599.html

I might be wrong (probably am) but I thought the 4 year rule was a local series/event type regulation and not an MSA general regulation.

Ditto also the use of tyres like ACB10 were excluded (unfair advantage over radials at the time) by local regs by stating no crossplys, they are still on List 1b.

So IMHO all that will happen is MSA will drop off List 1A/B and local clubs will decide on whether to keep the 4 year rule or not (they would consider general availability, cost to competitors and fairness at events) in exactly the same way as they did for ACB10s.

so my  large stock of super soft tyres may be go up in value :d :d :d :d

• Like 1

Pete.  I don't think one careful owners helps when selling tyres .. :p

Pete.  I don't think one careful lady owner helps when selling tyres .. :p

?

So is it back to new target times for ditch finders in 2015 lol ..........

Gets coat n legs it

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Has any more information come to light on this subject yet?

I have a second set of wheels on order from Westfield with R888, I was planning on putting the 888's to one side and buying ZZR's in A24 compound that they now do in 195/50/15.

I'll probably only make 2 or 3 events this year so don't want to end up with some nearly new tyres that are effectively banned from next year.

These tyres are to be used for sprints and hillclimbs only.

Any thoughts?

Matt

When i was competing standard practice was for msa to mark any tyres that were to be removed from the list with asterist 1 year before they were removed.