Tyre Information

Plays-Kool

Hi Guys,

Bit of information for you all. 

Toyo tyre's have said they will be stopping making GGG compound and SG comound tyre's for the end of 2014. This is due to the EU tyre regulations which will be phasing out any Band G tyre's from November 2014. So the manufacture's don't want to be left with a warehouse full of tyre's that they can't sell due to this.

However there is nothing to say that these tyres won't still be allowed to run in motorsport.

So if your in need of soft compound tyre's then I'd get in quick as I suspect that it'll be a case of once their gone their gone!

I guess this also means the end for the Yokohama A021R which is also band G :down:

I might be forced to buy some new wheels :bangshead: I like my 14's :d

What is band G? Would the Khumo supersofts be band G? And what about the other tyre which I might be using in 2014? Think it is ZZR or something like that ;)  ;) ?

What is band G? Would the Khumo supersofts be band G? And what about the other tyre which I might be using in 2014? Think it is ZZR or something like that ;)  ;) ?

it looks like the ZZR's are a G also

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/road-legal/performance/zzr

ZZR-TW1021-EU.jpg

And R1R's in 195/50 15's along with 205/50 15's.

Will this mean they no longer pass road legal criteria anyway at some point?

Will this mean they no longer pass road legal criteria anyway at some point?

It's a very difficult subject David. The MSA usually accepts tyres that are on it's list for 4 years. So potentially there could be a position when competitors with a stock of old tyres have an advantage. But of course this is starting to become apparent, so possibly the MSA may make a different ruling, but nothing has come out yet. It's anyone's guess what might happen.

Is there a list of band G tyres, or a definitive way of telling?  Its  a new one on me.  What happened to List 1A :d

so a risk to stock pile a few then.

I am assuming a year old super soft would still be better than a new soft.

bl**** Eu tree huggers.

• Like 2

I've been reading up on this... It would appear that following the phasing out of G-rated tyres from November 2014, the next phase from Nov 2016 will result in the loss of F-rated tyres as well :bangshead:

So great, we get to trundle round on under performing tyres, but thats fine 'cause they're more fuel efficient.  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Of course they'll be more fuel efficent. We wont have enough grip to be able to drive quickly in the future :oops:

My a539 plan is starting to come together :)

But think they F :(

I think its down to the tyre companied to declare 1a and 1b tyres and when then are no longer on the list. Standard msa rules was to allow them to be used for up to year after they drop off the list. This may have been changed.