Darve's journey from IVA fail to retest

darve

mark popped round this morning to lend a hand. comparing to his car my pedal had a lot more travel and was a bit spongy. we rebled the system (I had the easy job of sitting in the car :d) and the pedal is much better now. not as firm as Mark's but a lot better. fronts lock much easier now :) getting the handbrake up to 5 clicks and I now can't move the car forward with all the pushing force I can muster. I don't want to touch the rear brakes in an attempt to improve the handbrake as I'll just reduce the percentage more effective the fronts are over the rears. further bedding in will no doubt improve things further.

feeling quite positive now as feel like I've gotten somewhere :) will leave the brakes alone now and get the mot station to run another test next Saturday. will then compare the results to yesterday's to see how things have changed.

cleaned up all the rear earths and I think the fuel gauge problem is resolved.

thanks mark :)

fingers, toes and everything crossed I'm almost there!

oh and compared by headlamp lenses to Mark's and the pattern on mine are opposite to his. hence the kick up is in the wrong direction. will call Westfield tomorrow

Well done. Sounds like it's sorted.

correct headlamp lenses turned up in the post today - will fit them tonight :yes:

That will finish it won't it?

I'm sure the brakes will be OK now, you're due back on the rollers on Saturday aren't you?

yes that should be the last thing.

MOT station visit booked saturday morning to get the handbrake tested and get some more data on the brakes. can then compare to last Saturday's results sheet

Then long wait until the 5 September :down:

Do some more "bedding in" and as close as you can to the test station (IVA not MOT) find a car wash and jet wash the dust from the calipers. Allow enough time to get them dry though.

It's only just over two weeks. In the grand scheme of thing that's not long. Me, I'd be going mad!

yes not long but too long nonetheless :d

lenses now swapped over and kick-up on the garage door looks good. will get checked Saturday as well.

so that SHOULD be all the fail points rectified (subject to handbrake being ok on Saturday). only one im going in blind on will be the brakes

bring on the retest :p

hmmm may give them a bell and say I'll take a cancellation slot if one comes up......

oooo may be getting a retest at gillingham on the 28th - just waiting for VOSA to fax my forms over from edmunton and to give me a call to confirm :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

Ok well I've gone round in circles a bit. lots of edmunton appointments are being transferred to other stations as the tester has broken his foot. complete coincidence that I rung up to see if gillingham had an earlier date available. by the time the lady had got my paperwork from edmunton the appointment on the 28th had already been snapped up. so now I have 3rd September. ho hum

headlight kickup looks like it's now ok

20130822_203540_zps987ccfd2.jpg

Looking good Darve - just need the VOSA to give you a break...

Will be worth it,   really enjoyed the build with the boys and the last 10 months of driving the car has been outstanding (even with 2 months off due to a heart attack) make sure you do some track days and rag the donkey off it..........

all the best,

Jon

I plan to Jon :d

Waiting for the IVA date to come is like waiting for Christmas day when you're a kid, but once you have that piece of paper it gets even worse waiting for that registration document to come through the letter box..............I wonder if you can go direct to swansea and get it started while you wait?

Westford