a plan insurance

The Cheese

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

Well thanks for letting me have a rant 

feel better now 

Sometimes it’s just what you need :yes:

• Like 1

I wasn't defending A Plan in particular - more playing Devil's Advocate from a 'supplier' viewpoint.

From a customer perspective, I get well cheesed off with "admin fees" and will always try and negotiate them down or at the very least have a minor rant myself :d

• Like 1

If APlan are a sponsor to WSCC then what are we the members getting as benefits? 

Quick calculation: 1000 members paying on average £250 each = £250,000. Appreciate that they are brokers (just a middle man) and are just skimming money of the top of our premium but seeing that they made over £25 million profit last year and are predicting an increase in that profit in 2018 who's pulling who's leg? 

Rant over but possible not finished

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Terryathome said:

If APlan are a sponsor to WSCC then what are we the members getting as benefits?

A discount on your premium compared to non-members. Not to mention the £1200 they pay to the club for the privilege of being a sponsor and therefore gets spent for the benefit of members.

10 minutes ago, Terryathome said:

Quick calculation: 1000 members paying on average £250 each = £250,000.

I pay less than half that amount, as I suspect do most members.  That's not too much to skim from when they take their percentage.

How often does the average member need an Admin change? not very often I'd wager. 

It's equivalent to the cost of a curry for Gods sake.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

Its nothing to do with them being a sponsor. I challenge you to find any kit car insurer who will quote you the same price and won't charge an admin fee, but good luck finding one at renewal time :)

Fottman James haven't charged me ANY fee for the 3 times I've mooved my 3 cars of adress... and My kit car and MX5 insurances are about the figures you are discusing... (well under 200).

17 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

A discount on your premium compared to non-members. Not to mention the £1200 they pay to the club for the privilege of being a sponsor and therefore gets spent for the benefit of members.

If APlan are competitive and they applied a discount for me being a member then why did the quote turn out to be more costly than another insurance company? and I got more miles per year and European cover repatriation so don't go down the route of comparing the two against each other.

18 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

I pay less than half that amount, as I suspect do most members.  That's not too much to skim from when they take their percentage.

How often does the average member need an Admin change? not very often I'd wager. 

It's equivalent to the cost of a curry for Gods sake.

Then 2 things spring to mind.

1.Why charge the admin fee in the first place (Its all about maximizing the profit margin within APlan, i.e. getting the most amount of money out of the client)

2. Thats one expensive curry, are you buying lol

• Like 1

Not to mention effectively running the on-the-day side of the Silverstone event for us in the anniversary year.

I rang around a few insurance companies when I renewed the Westfield this year, Flux were the cheapest, but not by much, and their phone service was appalling. I would never use them after that experience. (Constant, I can only give you this discount if you sign right now tactics, followed by a bombardment of follow up calls and emails for 48 hours.) A Plan were next, the other two companies that gave quotes were dearer. Interestingly Footman James told me they wouldn’t quote for new kit business.

On the other hand the work pickup I have through A Plan as well was over £200 cheaper than last year, and around £100 cheaper than I could get elsewhere. Go figure!

16 minutes ago, maurici said:

Fottman James haven't charged me ANY fee for the 3 times I've mooved my 3 cars of adress... and My kit car and MX5 insurances are about the figures you are discusing... (well under 200).

Well done @maurici for not paying any admin fees.:d

The £250 was a guess on my part for the average, but if any member would like to verify the average premiums to APlan from known data it would make interesting reading.

3 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Not to mention effectively running the on-the-day side of the Silverstone event for us in the anniversary year.

I rang around a few insurance companies when I renewed the Westfield this year, Flux were the cheapest, but not by much, and their phone service was appalling. I would never use them after that experience. (Constant, I can only give you this discount if you sign right now tactics, followed by a bombardment of follow up calls and emails for 48 hours.) A Plan were next, the other two companies that gave quotes were dearer. Interestingly Footman James told me they wouldn’t quote for new kit business.

On the other hand the work pickup I have through A Plan as well was over £200 cheaper than last year, and around £100 cheaper than I could get elsewhere. Go figure!

Interesting read. So your premiums go down and mine go up through APlan.

It would be interesting in what APlan have to say about this fluctuation

21 minutes ago, Terryathome said:

Interesting read. So your premiums go down and mine go up through APlan.

It would be interesting in what APlan have to say about this fluctuation

That’s always the frustration of comparing insurance though, so many variables, from geography, to personal circumstances that you never see a real like for like figure.

• Like 1

A-Plan for my tin top always comes out on top

A-plan for my rental properties comes out on top

A-plan for kit car always gets nudged up by quite a lot. I find myself swapping from A-Plan to Adrian Flux and back again each year. They all nudge it up. I used to always call up and magically they get it back down again :rolleyes: I take the view that if they nudge it up, I don't bother haggling to win and get it down. I just go elsewhere now. If everyone did this, it wouldn't happen and customer loyalty would genuinely be rewarded

:)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

That’s always the frustration of comparing insurance though, so many variables, from geography, to personal circumstances that you never see a real like for like figure.

Yep, I see your point and expect that a small increase maybe on the books at renewal time.

However when it exceeds my expectations and the country's inflation rate you have to draw the line somewhere. I would not put it past the sales team to be motivated by upper management to increase the profit margin, after all this is how they operate. If you think they don't operate like this then I would suggested you pull your head out of the sand and have a look around now and again. 

If people would just not take the first figure that these sharks offer you then I'm sure it would be a more competitive market.  

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but I certainly don't think  A Plan are sharks by any stretch. In fact, they have given me very good service, and saved me hundreds of pounds in premiums, over a good few years now. I ended up not only insuring my Westfield with them, but also 2 tin tops, and all our home insurances.

Personally, I value good service, and if it comes at competitive prices then I am a very happy chappy.:t-up::t-up: