'77 Honda CB550 Brat style bike build

Valentinik

I spent a few hours on the frame this afternoon and got it finished.

Rear hoop and seat mounts welded in:

0AECC215-AB6A-4EB5-855D-351F571A3AFA_zps

C22E09EE-1DAD-4E1A-B5F0-0B211EABF832_zps

I also made a small battery box and welded a bracket underneath the swing arm to mount it. I just need to weld the aluminium box up

25DD7984-C225-4DC1-835B-A629A97B187D_zps

Mike
  • Like 1

I was wondering where the battery was going to end up.

On mine it's still in the triangle behind the tank, albeit in a nice ally box.

Following with interest :)

Thanks Chris, i like the look of the frame with nothing behind the engine so i didnt want to see the battery at all. Some people mount them to the swingarm itself. I couldn't see that being anything but bad news for the battery and power leads to it though.

I've just finished blanking off all holes in the top and bottom crankcases so they can go to be soda blasted tomorrow.

I made the aluminium panel for the seat tonight and mounted it to the brackets i welded on the frame. The bolts are only temporary.

IMG_2475_zpspryfzgyk.jpg

Mike

I got my crankcases back from being soda blasted and finished cleaning them up. Tonight I put in the replacement primary shaft bearing. I just need to find a replacement oil guide as the one i've got isn't great.

F3E04C9F-F622-45DB-9C85-2EEF915FEA16_zps

D1FCCDD2-10BE-4891-BCB1-E0B35AB5DC58_zps

Progress is slow due to a lack of time and money at the moment but tonight i got half an hour to start building the top crankcase up. I got the shift drum and shaft installed and starter gear (not sure if this is the correct term for this?) Hopefully tomorrow i should get both the main and secondary shafts in and check it selects all five gears ok.

108EF53E-B7D9-49D3-B91C-0CDF4F85AA2D_zps

Mike
  • Like 1

Mike - while you have the opportunity, check the thickness of the selector forks where they engage in the gearbox (on the ends of each fork) as that is where they wear. If there's a lot of wear it can drop out of gear. 

It's not too common a problem tbh, but worth checking. However, not sure what the tolerances are!

• Like 1

Mike - while you have the opportunity, check the thickness of the selector forks where they engage in the gearbox (on the ends of each fork) as that is where they wear. If there's a lot of wear it can drop out of gear.

It's not too common a problem tbh, but worth checking. However, not sure what the tolerances are!

Thanks Chris, I hadn't thought of that. Il check them before I go any further.

Oh - and when reassembling the crankcases, take care to ensure the small dowels in the top case (gearbox shaft area) align with the holes in the bearing cups - sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but have seen people mis-align them, then try and force the cases shut and wondered why they wouldn't!

It's great to see an old jap 4 in bits - takes me right back to the early 80's!

Oh - and when reassembling the crankcases, take care to ensure the small dowels in the top case (gearbox shaft area) align with the holes in the bearing cups - sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but have seen people mis-align them, then try and force the cases shut and wondered why they wouldn't!

It's great to see an old jap 4 in bits - takes me right back to the early 80's!

Thanks Chris, i must say i'm really enjoying the rebuild, it definitely won't be my last. I suppose i'd best look in to learning how to ride and taking my test.

Tonight i got the main an secondary shafts in place. I ran through all 5 gears and each one engages smoothly, so the transmission is done until the cases are reassembled and i put the primary and starter clutch in.

06E3004E-D8C0-425D-ADB4-159FF35A41A7_zps
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Other things have stopped progress for a while but i found a set of forks on eBay complete with triple trees. They're in very good condition, the trees will need powdercoating and i'l replace the oil and seals but they're fantastic for £52 posted.

DC1B1674-A1E5-445F-8E33-AF76CEC78DC4_zps

9188303F-0065-45EE-8D04-33AB2EEF7F16_zps
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Not a lot of progress while i've been working on the Westie, but this week I got a chance to strip it all down and get the frame and swingarm off to the powder coaters which should be finished this week. I also bought some internals for the engine to carry on with the rebuild. Yesterday i rebuilt the primary with new dampers so that is ready to go in.

No pictures at the moment but i'l get some when the frame is back.

The larger bits came back from the powder coaters today. Im really pleased with the finish, its 99% perfect and only cost £96 all in.

I found a prime position to start the build:

9DE98986-4AB9-4B1A-8AE9-C67B852E2889_zps

6E0CAE91-B87A-4C80-AB3F-30D4D68F3463_zps

D24D0B4F-1A3C-45AC-8D9F-6974AE5C768C_zps

The wife didnt have the same opinion on where the build should continue so it was relegated to the garage. (it made it longer than i expected)

000A4B6F-7BB0-4D8B-8415-967AC542531A_zps

Mike

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Following Oddjob's advice of fitting the engine to the frame partially assembled I started assembling the first few bits onto the frame.

My tapered steering bearings arrived today so I've now got the yokes installed. I fitted the swingarm during the week. This is how it stands at the moment:

B790CC6E-F7CB-4E56-B1ED-B65DD3693CD0_zps

DAFBB7A7-6E50-4157-B758-3347BBA86797_zps

My next job is to work out a way to hold the rear hub so i can remove the wheel bearing retainer.

Mike
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Great stuff Mike,

Although if my missus catches me looking at motorbikes I'm in big trouble!!! :cry: