'77 Honda CB550 Brat style bike build

Valentinik

A few people have shown interest in the bike i've just bought so i though i'd start a build thread on it. Updates may be slow as it has got to fit in around the Westfield build.

First of all i'l start off by saying, i've never owned a bike before. I know very little about them, i bought this to learn about bikes in general. I haven't even got a bike license yet.

Some will have seen my introduction post but if you haven't, First of all, this is the first bike i've owned and its a big learning experience more than anything for me, i've had numerous cars and I'm currently build a turbo westfield but bikes are something i have never worked on. So please excuse what some may feel are stupid questions.

Its a 1977 CB550 K3, it looks like someone has changed the forks to super dream items as well as the wheels. Im hoping to find some good used items, refurbish them and replace them. As can be seen from the pictures, some bits are missing and its not in too good a state but something i thought was suitable to work on.

Here it is before it was put in the garage:
1EAD4074-7A6E-4DA2-A9DF-E8A86ECAFFD2_zps

I removed the seat, tank and exhaust and just had a look at what exactly is missing and what i need to do:

7ADD6C69-FA92-4FB5-8F8C-CABA3835D3BA_zps

I made a little bit of progress on sunday morning. Both wheels are off, the engine is out and i've taken a look at the forks. The chrome seems to be pretty rusty and I'm not a fan of the wheels, so i may see if i can source a set of original forks and spoked wheels.

F172873F-9878-418F-A939-DCA2661D044B_zps

Before i took the engine out though i wanted to check it turns over as i didnt know what state it was in. The good news was it turned over quite freely. The less pleasing news was when i drained the oil, 2 litres of water came out before the oil.

As you can see from the picture theres a bit of rust on the camshaft and tops of the valves but I'm hoping its still useable. Im planning on a full engine rebuild anyway.

7D28F68B-0FB2-47CE-8671-D3C0AD1F033A_zps

I made a start on stripping the engine down to try and limit any damage from any water. Tonight I got the head and cylinder removed, so far I'm pretty pleased with what i've seen. The bores look to be pretty good with no visible scoring or lips, so I'm hoping i can use it without a rebore. The only bit of damaged i've found so far is a slight mark on one of the pistons.

IMG_1066_zpsdo35a61j.jpg

IMG_1065_zpsvl2lxdhi.jpg

IMG_1064_zpswyqzrhsf.jpg

IMG_1063_zpslauzhdgs.jpg

IMG_1067_zpskijtua3l.jpg

The logbook for the bike arrived today. Which pleased me as the seller never had it when i purchased the bike, against my better judgement i bought it anyway (after doing a HPI).

Anyway, i made a little progress tonight.  I never mention when i started the topic that I'd like to go with a brat style with the bike. I know its not to some peoples taste but i've always liked that style of bike.

With that in mind, i started on removing some of the brackets from the frame that i won't need. Side panel mounts, battery tray mount,etc.

Before 
498C3E06-FEB4-4409-9382-B7786AB3A35E_zps

After
A5A197B8-9717-4D8D-BF84-2D0A05C35C4C_zps

I only got one side done as it was getting late but hopefully tomorrow i will finish the other side off. Im not sure yet if I'm going to cut the rear of the frame slightly and weld an upswept hoop in like this:

Mkzqp3y.jpg

Or just remove the bridging section between the 2 sides weld a brace in to mount the seat to.

This is the style I'm going for with the bike:

1971-Honda-CB500-Cafe-Brat-4.jpg

Mike
  • Like 1

I'd have said the style you are going for is more café racer than brat bike. Brat bikes seem to have higher bars. The ones in the pic there look like clip-ons to me, but I'm old...

Google café racing and the Ace Café. My dad did a bit of that on a Vincent Black Shadow back in the day.

Folks changed the spoked wheels for the Honda Nightmare Comstars (or any other ally wheel) so they could use tubeless tyres.

If I remember correctly on these old Honda's the cam chain needs to be adjusted manually periodically. If there is an auto cam chain tensioner upgrade available for these I would definitely look in to it. 

And I have to ask where the water in the engine came from, especially as these are air cooled...

Thanks for the info, il keep a look out for an auto cam chain adjuster but I'm not sure they're available.

The picture was a sample i'd found on my phone, just to give people a rough idea. It was the seat style i was focusing on i suppose. Id have associated cafe racers with a seat more like the following picture. But I'm still very new to it all.

Honda-CB550-Cafe-Racer-8.jpg

Unfortunately the rocker cover was missing from the engine, and it seems someone thought it would be good to store the bike outside  :angry:

Mike

Unfortunately the rocker cover was missing from the engine, and it seems someone thought it would be good to store the bike outside   :angry:

Yeah, that'll do it...

I have no idea if an auto cam-chain tensioner is available. I do know that I have seen dozens of CB engines with holes in them because the can chain tensioning job was ignored. You'll know when it needs doing 'cos it'll rattle like hell. As long as you can hear it over the clutch basket rattling, the inlets rattling and everything else rattling you should be fine! It didn't help that the chains at the time were made of chocolate...

Good luck with the project.

• Like 1

I got the brackets cut off the other side this evening:

958F0C19-64C2-450B-9AFF-2101834D012E_zps

8752E381-BB6E-4B5C-8B46-C9CF89049A6B_zps

I've just got a few smaller sections to tidy up and then i can cut the bridge at the back. I also got an impact screwdriver and undid all the bolts from the clutch housing, so i can carry on with stripping the engine.

Careful with them. Never was the term "monkey metal" used more appropriately than on these 70's and 80's Japanese bikes...

• Like 1

No not at all Gary, just something else for me to play around with. My wife keeps wanting housework and decorating done if i come out of the garage for too long. I need to find ways to keep myself busy.  :laugh:

Im just finishing off the engine for the westy then it should hopefully be just ecu wiring and plumbing before i try starting it.

Mike

No not at all Gary, just something else for me to play around with. My wife keeps wanting housework and decorating done if i come out of the garage for too long. I need to find ways to keep myself busy.  :laugh:

Im just finishing off the engine for the westy then it should hopefully be just ecu wiring and plumbing before i try starting it.

Mike

Lol

Has she asked you if you want to take a bed in the garage yet?

I finished off stripping the engine down tonight. 

Pistons and top crankcase removed:

9FFA5756-18FB-4974-A35F-233A6CD9CE59_zps

Bottom crankcase, I've just got the main shells and primary shaft bearing to remove

DAC146D8-2295-4116-AE3C-008FFBE98323_zps

Top crankcase, just the shift drum to remove

CE08CE48-37AA-4C87-961D-13C71BAAC620_zps

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 5-6 week wait on some of the parts i've ordered for the westie, so its time to crack on with this for a while.

Tonight i got the rear seat frame mocked up in position.

0065E8A9-1803-454E-8BBA-B689602D7FB6_zps

637A44DF-52DC-4214-A38F-C5D609AD4DD2_zps

The wheel is only there to check positioning.  Im having a set of new spoked wheels made with black powder coated rims and stainless spokes with the hubs i've got.

Mike