3 abreast bicycle *****************

echoz

about 2 foot onto my side on a piece of road that could fit 3 lanes if there were and reason to, so technically a lane and 3/4 across the road. 

Well that is selfish and stupid. She should not be doing it and riding with due care and attention. A bit of self preservation never hurts - we all know that as we drive Westfields!

She should have the full weight of the law thrown at her and be charged with cycling furiously.

• Like 1

I'm very careful around horses, most unreliable creatures when on the road.  If in the Westfield, I wait until its well clear before slowly overtaking in a higher gear than normal to reduce noise levels.  Even then, I've had a few hand gestures and foul language comments.

What really grinds my gears as a driver are bicyclists who refuse to use cycle lanes.  There's a well-known video of a cyclist almost copping it at a roundabout when a tanker driver fails to see him.  What's rarely shown is the 60 seconds of helmet cam footage before where he's cycling outside the cycle lane in the carriageway because he thinks it's safer.  Look mate, your lot are the ones who moaned for many years that you needed your own special lane for protection.  Now you've got it, which forces drivers to pass oncoming traffic a metre closer to each other on a road you didn't pay for and you won't use it, slowing down traffic behind you, making them take chances to get around you and making road users who pay angry?  You selfish, blinkered git.

/been a while since I had a decent rant

• Like 1

I'm very careful around horses, most unreliable creatures when on the road.  If in the Westfield, I wait until its well clear before slowly overtaking in a higher gear than normal to reduce noise levels.  Even then, I've had a few hand gestures and foul language comments.

What really grinds my gears as a driver are bicyclists who refuse to use cycle lanes.  There's a well-known video of a cyclist almost copping it at a roundabout when a tanker driver fails to see him.  What's rarely shown is the 60 seconds of helmet cam footage before where he's cycling outside the cycle lane in the carriageway because he thinks it's safer.  Look mate, your lot are the ones who moaned for many years that you needed your own special lane for protection.  Now you've got it, which forces drivers to pass oncoming traffic a metre closer to each other on a road you didn't pay for and you won't use it, slowing down traffic behind you, making them take chances to get around you and making road users who pay angry?  You selfish, blinkered git.

/been a while since I had a decent rant

nice one wuv ,feel free to carry on

Treat every one or everything on the road or adjacent as a potential incident and you will be ok. Cycling standards as well as driving standards are getting worse, people believe they are always in the right and show in many cases no regards for others. Annoying but we have to just get over it after our manly rant. I do it every day when some idiot has, cut me up, left there fog lights on, pulled out in front of me, generally p*ss*ed me off. Not worth letting your blood pressure get too high. Have a rant and move on, lifes too short. Expect the unexpected at all times.

Plenty of f*c*in* idiots out there.

Bob :p  :westy:  :westy:  :bangshead:  :d  :d :d  :d  

• Like 1

Horses. As you may know I ran the South Yorkshire Police Show for 10 years. The show started and continued (except for one year) at Ring Farm, the SYP stables at Cudworth Barnsley.

If you've ever seen horses trained properly you'll know that they are as sensible a road user as you'll find in humans, sometimes more so.

One thing they are made to do is the "nuisance lane". The horse has to walk along a lane" as it does so various distractions and noises are made. Like a brass band suddenly playing loudly, bright lights shone into the horses eyes, a gun fired just behind his/her head as he/she passes, a loud clash of cymbals, a car driven past very close, a car horn being set off as the horse approaches.

The horse must endure this until it realises that no actual harm is done and they walk a steady, straight line through the "nuisances".

These horse will then deal with traffic, riots, being bricked, having marbles rolled under their feet and all the other things that people do to disturb the peace.

Agreed Norm, police horses are very well trained, publicly owned horses and their owners/riders may not be, as well as some of the numpties who drive too close and with revving engines. Used to be a section in that there highway code thing, guess thats now gone in favour of how to balance your drink, phone, make up and toast on your cup holders whilst driving.

Bob :d

Live and let live.

HM goes out, mainly the 8 kms to the supermarket and always comes back with a tale about the tractor, car driver, van going too fast, whatever, there's always a tale about another road user.

I go out and I'm sure I meet the same people but notice nothing. It may be that I expect idiocy and just deal with it subconsciously. 

My ankst ... cyclist/s staggering all over the road on beautiful steep country roads ... completely ruin my enjoyment of the road.

Worst still you have to stop and then roast the clutch starting off again ( high first gear) grrrr.  

I wish the cyclists would pick hills they can actually cycle up in a controlled manner !! 

I do not mind cyclists that give me a fair chance to get by.

I am tempted  to do as French do... keep a box of small ( 5mm) tacks in the car to give the offending cyclists something else to do !!

Rant (continued)...

The majority of drivers and riders are good road users - it's just the idiots we remember.

Cyclists have taken to wearing helmet cameras to record their journeys in case legal action needs to be taken in event of other road users acting badly - good idea, no issues there.

So how are these bad drivers then caught from the helmet camera records?  By the number plates on the vehicles.

So when bad cyclists cause issues by hogging roads, blowing through red lights, riding on the pavement, or attacking other vehicles (kicking panels, punching drivers, etc) when they're upset, how are they identified?  They're not, because they don't have any number plates.

There is not a single good reason why every cycle in the UK should not be made to register and display a number plate.  They use the roads (most of the time!) and are just as subject to the laws as vehicle drivers, and if they're that much better as road users, they have nothing to fear from having a number plate.  Number plates mean bad cyclists can be identified and prosecuted in the same way as every other road user, and the same way cyclists report bad drivers.

The registration should be a simple one-off one (say £10 + the cost of the plate, no annual fee), with the owner's name, address and photo kept on record.  If they sell the cycle, they transfer the V5 equivalent document just as vehicle owners do, registering the new owner.  If they scrap the cycle and buy a new one, they transfer the number plate to the new cycle.

Cycle owners are always getting their cycles stolen, but complain that they police aren't doing enough.  Why?  Because there's no way the police can easily and quickly identifying one cycle from another.  If it had a number plate, ANP recognition cameras in police cars could assist in reuniting owners with their stolen cycle, and also reducing the amount of bike theft substantially.

It can also be a money-spinner if cyclists were allowed to purchase vanity plates.

So when anyone who cycles starts complaining about bad drivers or cycle theft, that's exactly what I tell them - and I've had the most ridiculous responses, from it being too expensive when they're sat on a £500 bike; to it not being possible because it would be too big to fit or cause aerodynamic drag - muppets.  Sorry, but if you disagree, you're flat wrong.

I should start an online petition on this one.

/Rant in pause mode

Cap'n, you sir, speak the most sense i've heard in weeks! you have my backing! 

I too agree. However can you imagine a UK government just taking an admin fee to register a bicycle?

They will see it as yet another "profit" raising tax. Then they will start grading the bikes so as to levy the price. Then they will employ another 30,000 civil servants to administer it. Then the minister will expect to be more "powerful" as his department has got bigger. Then other ministers will invent new taxes so as to employ more civil servants in their  departments in order to keep the pecking order as it is.

Wouldn't it be more simple to get the manufacturer to fit a fixed visible serial number during manufacture?

They cant even licence dogs effectively so how would you expect them to do the same with push bikes :t-up:

Were talking HM Gov here , pizzups & brewers come to mind , and whos going to pay for it all , no way £10 a head would pay for the admin , the way the Gov runs things they would need to charge 1000's per , just to cover admin costs for the extra 10,000 civil servants needed :d

Wouldn't it be more simple to get the manufacturer to fit a fixed visible serial number during manufacture?

how difficult would it be for the average skally to change a number and you would still need to keep records for it to be effective , which takes us back to your point about admin costs :oops:

No more than your skally can do with a car.

They can be registered as well as.

Or maybe have push bikes insured as in third party then the insurance companies can add them to the database.