I don't have / want PayPal

luxseven

Stephen has reminded me that I paid last year by credit card. It had a few mysteries but I'll try again when the time comes.

I'm another dinosaur who doesn't have/want a paypal account, so if there is an alternative method I'd be interested.

The few times I've bought/sold stuff on fleebay I used my/their bank details to transfer money.

Think I used a cheque when I joined.

Stan,

You did indeed use a cheque, I remember it well. :)

Gents in the UK, you have three renewal choices:

A) PayPal (instant)

B) Send me a cheque with a completed renewal form (postal cost and time, plus as soon as I can get to it time, not instant)

C) Drive to my house and press the cash into my hand (relieves you of excess cash instantly, then add as soon as I can get to it time, again not instant)

The Club Treasurer and I simply haven't got the time to communicate over every single transaction done via electronic transfer if that were used as an option for UK members. It would be an utter nightmare, and frankly, I'd leave the post after a few weeks looking like Blackadder with my underpants on my head and two pencils up my nose, going "wibble wibble wibble". While I'm sure that would please and amuse many of you, it would make administration and cleaning up my mess troublesome for a while afterwards.

So there we are, I can't imagine one of those three methods for UK-based members isn't feasible. Well, I can imagine, but you're a smart bunch and I'm sure you can handle these methods. :t-up:

Jos,

Email with details for electronic transfer sent!

Kind regards,

Scott :)

NOTE: you dont need a paypal account to pay with a bank card. Please bear in mind using paypal lets Scott have some time off over Christmas.

OK, that's it. I'll pay with my trusty HSBC bank card. Should be free to me and you.

You dont have to have a paypal account to make a payment over paypal anymore. You can pay as a guest which is basically the same as a normal online merchant. I.e. card name, number, exp date, security number etc. i have a small ebay business along side my day job and the receipt notification email shows a lot of buyers pay this way. Its automatic through ebay but must be possible for the wscc as well?

Automatic through PayPal is possible, but it's not the default setting. If you want to, you can turn it on so it's done annually for you.

It used to be the default setting at first, but as not everyone wants automatic, it was turned off and left to the individual to decide.

I hate auto renewals. IMHO it should be off.

Paying a sub by credit or debit card when a Paypal invoice is generated is not an auto renewal.

One asumes Paypal can be set up to auto generate an invoice rather than simply take the payment?

Jos,

Email with details for electronic transfer sent!

Kind regards,

Scott :)

Hello Scott, no excuse then :cry:  I will have to pay !

Was on holiday this WE so will proceed to payment this morning and keep you updated.

Thanks a lot, regards to the treasurer!

Cheers.

Jos

Just worked out you don't have to have a Paypal account... :)

The online payment can be made for the WSCC Invoice in the client area, using Credit/Debit card via the Paypal guest option.

So Membership renued and extra Calendar ordered! :t-up:

I too hate Paypal, for various reasons I won't go into here!

Last year i am sure I paid a single one off payment somehow, which didn't need a PayPal account. No idea how I did that, but if someone can give some simple instructions I will give that a go.

Understand the difficulty with DD and cheque from a club point of view, trying to find a means that satisfy both!

Cheque OK by me, not ideal but not a pain in the backside either, so don't worry, just give me your money! :d

You have to use PayPal as a guest, don't sign in with your PayPal account. Don't follow the prompts to set up a new account either! The links to make a one off payment as a guest are on the, er, small and discrete side. (To encourage you to sign up)

One problem. If you have a paypal account and it has the same email addy or credit card number it will not let you pay as a guest.

I had a go. Tried 4 cards, 2 emails and 2 addresses (UK & France). In the end it just said "there is an error, try later"

HOWEVER, it not only took the money but also used the discount voucher I'd been given.

I tried a second time pre-armed with information gleaned on the first session. Used my French Carte Bancaire, my French address and a different email address. Went through and took all the money as the discount code had been used, even though I didn't get the discount in the first session.

Another thing about paying on other sites when they use paypal to clear cards is the paypal decide that it will not accept a UK issued card with a French (probably any non UK) address. If it went one step further they would find that it would be OKd by the card issuer but they don't. It get embarrassing when your doing this over the phone because the online payment says the card is refused and then the shop girl says the same. #

A few retailers have lost my business over this.