Winter Blatting

KugaWestie

I've got to stock up as I'm heading to Iceland to photograph the aurora borealis in March and it'll be VERY cold! So I'm happy to get something decent that'll keep me warm in the winter months blatting and track days

I've heard good things said about heated motorcycle clothing :)

I was well wrapped up today - T shirt/Jumper/Windproof fleece/Animal Technical Ski Jacket/Tracker Hat/Windproof cycling gloves

I was nice and toasty, although a bit bulky with that lot on :laugh:

I was well wrapped up today - T shirt/Jumper/Windproof fleece/Animal Technical Ski Jacket/Tracker Hat/Windproof cycling gloves

I was nice and toasty, although a bit bulky with that lot on :laugh:

T-shirt, animal (brand) fur lined fleece, buff neck warmer, scarf, seal skin (brand) gloves and that's me set for 200 miles of motorway driving at -2!!! Toes get cold though

A few years ago now but my avatar pic was taken on a trip to the lakes. Not sure which the photo was taken on bit it is either Wrynose or Hardnott Pass. 1:3 in places on snow and ice. Sort of fun in an odd way!

Taken from "Spotted"

"Shindha"

"Haven't had a spotted thread for a while, here goes spotted yesterday evening Yellow westy with black edging on nose cone in Smethwick / Handsworth area of Brum. Sounded good, looked good, brave man because I was cold even sitting in my tin top."

40 mls for me in South Wales this afternoon.

20 out with the roof and doors on, doors off for the run back.

Had to treat the roads with respect but really enjoyed.

Washed and garaged (in case its the last this year)

Gonna be minus two tomorrow, guess what I'm gonna be doing.......

My car has no heater and no windscreen, so winter driving needs a bit of preparation. You are sat still, so there is very little muscle movement to keep you warm and you can chill down very badly. When it is hovering around zero I wear my hill walking gear. Thermals, fleece gear and windproof jacket and overtrousers on top. I wear sealskinz gloves which are warm, water resistant and give a fairly good grip on the wheel. A winter fleece buff goes between the jacket and helmet. My feet don't seem to feel the cold, so thin soled shoes suitable for the Westfield are worn. Mr Toad has top mounted pedals and taking the cover off the pedal box introduces a little hot air from the engine compartment around my feet.

For long journeys I've even resorted to a Rab down jacket that I bought to go trekking in the Himalaya, worn under the windproof. It keeps me toasty, but I look like Michelin Woman. Staying warm beats fashion!

Jen

I have the cover of the pedal box mounted on Velcro pads. Remove it in the winter as the blast of hot air not only keeps feet warm but also fingers. It just shows how much under bonnet pressure there is.

I have the cover of the pedal box mounted on Velcro pads. Remove it in the winter as the blast of hot air not only keeps feet warm but also fingers. It just shows how much under bonnet pressure there is.

That's a good idea. Much neater than gaffer tape.

Jen

Mine's screwed in and sealed, but I still get water coming in. However I'll velcro it for the dry!

My car has no heater and no windscreen, so winter driving needs a bit of preparation. You are sat still, so there is very little muscle movement to keep you warm and you can chill down very badly. When it is hovering around zero I wear my hill walking gear. Thermals, fleece gear and windproof jacket and overtrousers on top. I wear sealskinz gloves which are warm, water resistant and give a fairly good grip on the wheel. A winter fleece buff goes between the jacket and helmet. My feet don't seem to feel the cold, so thin soled shoes suitable for the Westfield are worn. Mr Toad has top mounted pedals and taking the cover off the pedal box introduces a little hot air from the engine compartment around my feet.

For long journeys I've even resorted to a Rab down jacket that I bought to go trekking in the Himalaya, worn under the windproof. It keeps me toasty, but I look like Michelin Woman. Staying warm beats fashion!

Jen

I have issue of 3hrs on motorway that gets me! No movement and I think that's why feet get cold. But no screen... Wow! Have a word With Mrs C, she has a whine if I take the doors or roof off!

I have issue of 3hrs on motorway that gets me! No movement and I think that's why feet get cold. But no screen... Wow! Have a word With Mrs C, she has a whine if I take the doors or roof off!

Oddly enough I find it feels much less cold with the aeroscreens than I did with windscreen and no sidescreens fitted. The air flow is much smoother and you sit in a bubble of relatively still air. Wearing a helmet helps too. Your own personal hardtop! The original reason for taking off the windscreen was to make driving in bad weather easier. No more wiping the inside of the windscreen while the wipers do a poor job keeping the outside clear. My scariest moment was fog freezing on to the outside of the windscreen. No heater and no demist capabilities! That's just me though and I'm weird. Mrs C may have a point!

Jenny