Spare Wheel Or Not?

DAN_B

On my bike I put a special liquid inside the tyre which stopped punctures worked pretty well as I remember coming back after a ride and finding a screw in the tyre. Rode to the local petrol garage got next to the air pump, removed the screw and there was no problem it simply bunged itself. Checked the tyre pressure and it didn't even need topping up.

It might be ultraseal can't remember though.

I wonder if the stuff works on cars too.

I think it's called Oko. I think there was one called Slime too...

Not a fan 'cos it is possible (that's *possible* not probable) to get multiple punctures in a tyre without really noticing, but potentially causing a fatal flaw to the integrity of the tyre which could fail when under stress, IE when going fast.

Also, a mate of mine tried it and it took ages and lots of weights to get the wheel to balance properly...

Funny that blatman as I never noticed any balance issues as the stuff stopped as a liquid in the tyre so by centrifugal force simply evened itself out when the wheel was turning. I suppose if you were riding really slowly the liquid would be at the bottom of the tyre but I rode for a lot a miles and never felt the tyre to be out of balance in any way. In the instructions of mine I feel sure you fitted the wheel normally, ie balanced it without the gunk in it and then when it was done you then let down the tyre and put the gunk in.

I know there was some other stuff that claimed you would never need balance weights as the liquid natually balanced the wheel. Never used that though so cannot comment.

Mine was also blue so you could see it on the outside (if you looked for it). When you own a bike you check your tyres regularly (every time you wash it) and I could always find the hole where the screw was. I think it was that colour so you could tell exactly that it had worked so avoiding the problem you have mentioned. ie if you found quite a few bits of blue on your tyre it was time to change it.

I liked it because a blow out or even a slow puncture on a bike is a serious issue, more than a car.

I think the Oko product was lime green, which makes me think...

I have in excess of 750,000 miles under my belt on two wheels. I understand the risks and consequences of punctures.

My mate tried the anti puncture liquid when (assuming IIRC) it was new to the market so it may be the liquid has changed over the years, or it may be the bloke balancing the wheel may not have understood the issues. The problems he was having stuck with me so much it put me off even trying it.

I have repaired many a puncture with BMW's standard repair kit and a few with the Neeley. The Neeley is sooooo much easier and quicker to use. It takes less than 5 minutes from flat to fixed, even in the rain.

When really pressed I have been known to repair punctures with self tappers and Evo-Stick, but I wouldn't reccommend it... :oops:

At the more cavalier and risk loving end of the spectrum I binned the spare and took a phone and AA card. Did have to use them once when the aux belt departed, but otherwise all reliable.

On a longer journey like Le Mans we did pack a tool kit comprising of cable ties and gaffer tape, alas no good when the half shaft fell out 8 miles from Le Mans.

Last point though, when you get out in the car more you are more likely to do so with other owners locally to you. Then collectively you can take a tool kit or tyre repair or what ever. Ok we just let Liam carry the mother of all tool kits, but we would of shared...honest

I think the Oko product was lime green, which makes me think...

I have in excess of 750,000 miles under my belt on two wheels. I understand the risks and consequences of punctures.

My mate tried the anti puncture liquid when (assuming IIRC) it was new to the market so it may be the liquid has changed over the years, or it may be the bloke balancing the wheel may not have understood the issues. The problems he was having stuck with me so much it put me off even trying it.

I have repaired many a puncture with BMW's standard repair kit and a few with the Neeley. The Neeley is sooooo much easier and quicker to use. It takes less than 5 minutes from flat to fixed, even in the rain.

When really pressed I have been known to repair punctures with self tappers and Evo-Stick, but I wouldn't reccommend it... :oops:

Didn't know you rode, so meant nothing of it. Experienced a horrible puncture once, riding along no problem then came to corner and the bike just went so wide - just wouldn't turn in, was a real what the devil moment. Found the rear had picked a nail up and the back was losing pressure rapidly, you could hear it on the side of the road! Thats why I looked into the gunk stuff (feel sure it was called ultraseal now). My stuff was blue and weird to put in as you had to be slow and steady feeding it into the tyre. If you put pressure on it it through the syringe it seems to resist more. Never used the neeley just the gunky stuff.

If you rode on self tappers and evo stick then you're a braver bloke than I! :d:yes:

Blatters rode despatch in the centre of London IIRC; isn't that the one they always joke about having the life expectancy of a WW1 fighter pilot?

Are tthe BMW Co2 canisters the same as the ones pedal cyclists use? if they are lots of deals on line through Chainreaction cycles and the like, and if one urgently required most local bike shops stock them.

:)

I carry a self sealing and inflating canister purchased from Halfords. Not had to use it yet, so no idea what it does to the tyre!!

However, Mrs H's MX5 (2008 vintage) hasn't had a spare from new. Just a can in the tool kit, which looks a bit like the Halfords can I bought when we first got the Westfield.

Blatters rode despatch in the centre of London IIRC; isn't that the one they always joke about having the life expectancy of a WW1 fighter pilot?

I lasted a bit more than 20 minutes... :oops:

None of my bikes made it out alive though :o

No offence taken Meakin, just wanted to make you aware that I have had similar experiences to you. Anyone who rides for long enough will have a story to tell. My scariest puncture was at... er... 70mph(!) on the M1 going north. Front went flat rapidly. I needed new pants as well as a new front Michelin...

Link to UK supplier of Nealey's kit

http://www.craftyplugger.com/shop/page/1?sessid=TycevLHmTGD4kmA7ATMWHr4xrYoRKjC9cR2EmYZS9gJOUpytNbAa5qsHy2XTdEc4&shop_param=

I lasted a bit more than 20 minutes... :oops:

None of my bikes made it out alive though :o

No offence taken Meakin, just wanted to make you aware that I have had similar experiences to you. Anyone who rides for long enough will have a story to tell. My scariest puncture was at... er... 70mph(!) on the M1 going north. Front went flat rapidly. I needed new pants as well as a new front Michelin...

Dispatch rider top respect mate, I had enough scares with just riding round Leicester. You're right every rider has his story (I think that was part of it).

You're right every rider has his story (I think that was part of it).

Wasps in my lid, bird strikes, rabbit strikes, fox strikes, being hit by a bus at a Zebra crossing, the inevitable right turn incidents and claims of "I didn't see you mate"...

Wheelies along Piccadilly, getting busted on The Mall for having a commercial vehicle in a Queens Park, getting chased by dogs / pedestrians / the cops :o

Happy days... :oops::devil::d

lol, I had wasp fly inside leathers at 60 (hmm) mph (through neckhole), It wasn't happy! Some of the looks I had from drivers as they watched a mad biker pulling up sharpish and stripping off at the side of the road :d