Spare Wheel Or Not?

DAN_B

Hi Guys, really undecided on what to do?!

I don't know if to leave my spare wheel on the back of my Westy or remove it and replace with a Westfield decal and just buy a tin of foam in case I get a flat tyre!?

Thoughts please :-)

Regards,

Dan

It's up to you :) everyones different :) I carry a space saver :p

I don't like the foam repar kit as, admitted it will work, it's only a temporary solution... And a spare wheel is (99% of the time) useless weight to carry around.

I found a good compromise between weight and usefulness with a proper repair kit and a foot operated air pump.

432953_090412163930_Tubeless_tyre_repair_kit.jpg

foot-powered-tire-pump-personal-responsibility-photo.jpg

I have the kit stored in the bootbox, with a selection of spanners and tools. The pump, instead, fits nicely in the otherwise unused space behind the seat, not taking space for other bits in the bootbox. Very little weight for the total capacity to repair a normal puncture. Result.

Edited by Ciavatta

See the weight part has also come to mind, because a full size alloy and tyre isn't light!

Hmmm, still very undecided, that looks a good kit, just doesn't seem the quickest option at the side of a duel carriageway on a wet day! That's why I thought the foam might be good, but I've never used it before.

Thanks guys.

Short distance foam tin

Longer distance spare

I repaired a enduro bike tyre with a tin years ago

It took the tyre shop ages to deflate and remove tyre

Had to bin the tube and have a new one

Not all types of puncture can be fixed with a can of foam.

A couple of years back a group of us whilst walking in the Lakes did our good samaritan bit to try and help a (rather attractive young) lady who had picked up a double puncture on the Hardknott pass having hit a small rock at the side of the road. The front tyre had been popped off the rim so we fitted the spare to that, but the back tyre had a torn tyre wall, she called her friend who had an identical car but when she arrived that had no spare and only a can on foam :bangshead: we duely sprayed the foam in and tried to inflate the tyre but the tear was so bad the foam just cam out the side again. In the end we drove it off the mountain with a flat tyre.

Comedy photo of us removing the spare wheel for your amusement :d :d

4585_203281155273_716829_n.jpg

Doesn't the foam stop the tyre from being repaired later? That was what put me off using it

I think it will be still fixable at a tyre workshop, but often they refuse to do it 'cause they have to clen up all that sticky stuff.

Dan, you're right... It isn't the faster way, but that's the proper and only way to be sure to do a right work. It's the way used in every tyre workshop. With our lightweight cars it's often possible do a couple of miles even with a deflated tyre, so you can reach a proper place to do the work.

As Super Smokey says. Really is your choice, I could give you arguments for and against each side. I rarely travel long distances, belong to a breakdown club and carry foam, and prefer the look without the tyre., plus less weight carrying a jack and wheel. Then again, some feel safer with having a buffer behind them in a low speed hit up the trumpet. As I say, really down to you. :)

Just be wary of any exclusions In the T&C's for breakdown cover the AA for example say this in their general exclusions from cover.....

Failure to carry a serviceable spare

Any additional charges resulting from Your failure to carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel or tyre, except where this is not provided as manufacturers’ standard equipment. The AA will endeavour to arrange on your behalf, but will not pay for, assistance from a third party;

Of course it's tricky to argue either way if a spare wheel is standard equipment on a Westfield :laugh:

With the new featherweight bodywork there isn't a space for a spare wheel to go. With the standard body, then there is an obvious moulding at the back of the car where a spare should be!

No spare wheel on my car anymore. I carry one of the spray foam cans tie wrapped to a chassis tube in the passenger foot well. Not had to use it in anger yet.

Jen

Just be wary of any exclusions In the T&C's for breakdown cover the AA for example say this in their general exclusions from cover.....

Of course it's tricky to argue either way if a spare wheel is standard equipment on a Westfield :laugh:

Had to use the foam on a buddies car on last blat, quick, easy and no problem getting repair at next garage..

Dan,

Take your car out for a blat, go home, take spare off, do same route.

What I did and I now carry tyre weld and an AA card!

• Like 1

Oh,

I know it's a bit of a ball ache if you do get a flat, use foam and need to replace a tyre... But think of how much money you'll save over time not lugging the weight around!

I took mine off 10 years ago and have never missed it. I have a can of foam sealant for luck. The spare is a poor solution in my opinion because on my car at least, the tyres are directional and the front and rear wheels are a different offset. So it was only a replacement rear offside tyre. And statistically, in the UK at least, that is the least likely tyre to get a puncture in!

Ben