Oulton Park Lap Times

Tonsko

So, when's your next one booked? :d

Well, I was hoping that I might be able to go on the one in Nov with Trackaction, but it appears that I will be on hols. Might just take it along to one at Oulton if I can find one that'll take me. Might have to be in march next year - hopefully with as glorious a day as we got this year!

I haven't actually driven it much this year, due to crappy summer and not being too confident about the brakes (see above). Was only recently that I got the gear so that I could get it up on stands and actually look at them myself.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tonsko

• AdamR

• GreigM

• SteveH

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, yeah, it is very tempting to take it easy after a moment, but once you know where the limit is you can work back towards it :)

Brake pads don't really go off as far as I know; so if they aren't stinking, smoking or wearing down at an alarming rate they are doing ok! But brake fluid will take on water over time and lower the boiling point. It's well worth a flush with some fresh fluid if you plan to track the car again.

If the tyres have been sat for a few years they will be well past their best in terms of grip, but they can still be fun ;)

Edit: Just read your subsequent post. I've booked Oulton for 14th November with a few mates (£130 with free instruction, passenger and 2nd driver), but I'll be in the MX-5 if it's wet... (a cold, soggy passenger isn't a happy one!).

Hm - 14th Nov - I could make it to that one. Are there any spaces and would you mind if I came along? No bother if not.

I have got new brake fluid, new oil, but the gaiters need doing and it needs MOTing. Plan is to get it done asap though!

Also, the pads were smelling a bit, which is another reason that I backed off - but could never tell if it was me or the whiff of other cars!

Pretty sure there are still spaces left (yep, just checked) - the more the merrier! I'm sure there's plenty of time :yes:

Hey all,

March was my first track day ever, and first 'proper' go at taking the Westie out in anger.

Finally got around to analysing my footage, and came up with a fastest lap of 2.19.0, nearly 3 seconds faster than most of my others.

Is this a reasonable time?

I took mine out on 28th August - C20XE, 175BHP - first ever track day and doing about 2:20's too by the end of the day.

I never got Druid's right all day and found I wasn't comfortable enough with heel & toe in the Westfield (not had it long) to do it neatly on the track. I found in the afternoon that I was quicker changing gears less and using the lower/higher revs in 4th a lot more, it meant I could concentrate on my line and late braking.

I loved the Westfield on track - it is much more capable than I am!

Also, the pads were smelling a bit, which is another reason that I backed off - but could never tell if it was me or the whiff of other cars!

you're unlikely to smell your own pads on track - but you do smell the other cars quite a lot - especially anything with big power which spits out lots of fumes.....

Great Track..

This is a video of one of the rare occasions I had my old V8 engine running properly after it was bored out to 5L..

So the edit is more biased towards celebrating it's warp speed rather than a full lap!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyMI6tZGSVA&feature=plcp

I'd have to look for some original footage for a Seight laptime but I found a 'note' with some laptimes on an old PDA and my XTR2 was doing 1m52 in 2005, Interestingly it also notes the times from a Topgear feature they did with Jackie Stewart trying to speed up James May (aka 'Captain Slow') in a TVR Sagaris! - JS did 1m59 and JM started at 2m26 and finally got that tutored down to 2m06 :-)

So probably with Sir Jackie sitting next to you you'd edge under that ;-)

Before I fitted the supercharger I could do a 1.58 round Oulton in mine, that was only running about 140 brake according to WGT. I haven't checked it again since I almost doubled the power but I assume it would be notably quicker ;)

Carrying momentum through the corners is the key, there's lots of mid speed turns so you can lose loads there unless you have a good setup and are happy with the lines.

Interestingly it also notes the times from a Topgear feature they did with Jackie Stewart trying to speed up James May (aka 'Captain Slow') in a TVR Sagaris! - JS did 1m59 and JM started at 2m26 and finally got that tutored down to 2m06 :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5rpFXdWtK4

Well, I was hoping that I might be able to go on the one in Nov with Trackaction, but it appears that I will be on hols. Might just take it along to one at Oulton if I can find one that'll take me. Might have to be in march next year - hopefully with as glorious a day as we got this year!

Our November one is already full now but we will be running again at the start of March and it will be up on here as soon as we've got dates confirmed.

I had my race there this weekend :-) (with a few sessions friday testing as had no ideal)

Qualified 2.27 in the wet. rained an hour beforehand (fastest lap Caterham 2.09 C400)

Race 2.01in the afternoon with drier track (fastest CSR 1.45)

• 2 months later...

Right. So I have a new ECU, and some figures that I can rely on. *Hopefully* will see a better time immediately. I think the car was running really badly... Am going to book on the next one in march. Whoop whoop! (Where's the football rattle smiley?)

We are running there on March 1st, details should be up soon  :t-up: