Oulton Park Lap Times

Tonsko

Hey all,

March was my first track day ever, and first 'proper' go at taking the Westie out in anger.

Finally got around to analysing my footage, and came up with a fastest lap of 2.19.0, nearly 3 seconds faster than most of my others.

Is this a reasonable time?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tonsko

• AdamR

• GreigM

• SteveH

Top Posters In This Topic

for your first day its a fine time, depending on the car and spec a westie could be doing 2.10 fairly easily, with more track focused cars around 2.00 and all-out racers with good drivers at the 1.50-1.55 range

As Greig says, it depends very much on car spec and conditions. I think the ballpark times he's given are about right though - I was lapping around 2.02 with a passenger, 175bhp and A048R (track day) tyres on a 'road based but a few track bits' type car.

Interesting. The C20XE was checked (in 2005, so I figured that it had lost some) at 215 brake. Presume the suspension will have a large effect on this, as will the quality of the pads etc. Think the suspension is a bit crap tbh. Would need someone who 'knows' them to drive it and see I guess.

ETA - that lap is flying. I think my main problem is perhaps not carrying enough speed through the corners. I have the fastest lap clip in imovie, not sure how to get it out to youtube format yet, will have a go and post it up.

perhaps not carrying enough speed through the corners

That's where you make up time, yep. If you can pop the video up I'm sure the experienced chaps can offer some pointers.

Just exported it from imovie. It's 156 Mb, so will leave it uploading overnight and post it here. Looking at that one above, and my one, it seems like I was pretty much coasting through the corners! You will see what I mean :). Perhaps lack of confidence in the car holding the road, didn't want to overcook it on first outing. Will need to get to know the car better I think.

Need to do something about the wind noise too. Perhaps a small piece of sponge taped over the mic.

Mine lap times are 2.19 with a passenger in a 155bhp zetec westy with r888's. Had a few Tweeks now like stiffer springs quick rack and full geo setup. So hopefully a second or two knocked off that

Cheers ad

Arrrggghhh! I was there on Friday and the go pro was left on over lunch. It was dry only for th last 2 hours and I didn't get a time. My friend thinks 2.15 to 2.18 but to say this is inaccurate would be the understatement of the week!

Great track though. It was my first time and to be honest I was a little put off originally as i nearly put into the barriers at Druids. New pants please!

For your first day you've good a good concept of the racing line and you look very smooth (which is a good thing), you have the makings of going a lot quicker you just need to carry more speed into and through the bends. You're also braking very early - braking later and harder can pick up a lot of time.

Agree with what Greig's said. Very good driving for your first efforts! It's definitely best to be smooth and take the right lines to start with, then pick up the pace afterwards. The car looks like it has a lot more to give in the corners, and you can definitely get on the power earlier, it's surprising how much grip the cars have when the weight shifts rearwards (under power)

If you were wanting to do anything with the car, may be worth checking the tyres - both brand/model and age. When I fitted a fresh set of boots (exactly the same as previously, just new rather than ~5 years old) the car was transformed.

Your suspension setup looks fine from what I can tell, not excessively stiff or soft, and the car seems pretty balanced (in terms of over / under steer). It's all about bum in seat time now!

Here's my efforts (1.09 onwards):

Cheers chaps! Clearly this was at the end of the day after some practice. I managed to get 3 'tutored' lap sessions, 2 very short and the 1 proper slot that everyone got allocated. No doubt that this helps heaps :)

Yeah, it does, your learning curve is so steep at first. It will flatten out though and you'll be able to take on board advice and adapt it to your own driving style.

It will take a while to become fully comfortable with the car being 'on the limit', but that can only come with time in the seat...

So, when's your next one booked? :d

I like that vid - early on in the day I had two moments in exactly the same place as you - in the chicane and the s bends immediately after the chicane. This made be back off a little in the future in corners in case of 'sudden loss of talent' :d. Didn't want to wreck it on it's first outing. Hopefully confidence will grow. I think the car wasn't used much in the years before I bought it - the pads have a lot of depth, but perhaps they're just old and knackered. Same with brake fluid, and perhaps the tyres. I dunno - do brake pads 'go off'? Perhaps it was just brake fade from the heat - I thought the pads were on their way out at the end of the day tbh.