How Do You Know When It Is Time To Sell?

Martin Keene

Right then, so this year I'll have had the Westfield for 15 years.

These days it doesn't get used as much as it should, but at £300 a year for tax, insurance and MOT, its worth it even if it only does 300 miles a year, why it doesn't get used as much as it should I don't really know, I still get off on owning it and I still get a massive rush from driving it, and it is stupidly fast, the Zetec pulls like it is moving in a vacuum compared to the old x/flow. Maybe being in the garage at the end of a single drive behind two other cars doesn't help? Maybe after 15 years I have been to all the events and they are all getting a bit samey? Maybe its because subconsciously I know the rev-limiter can't stand it?

So far this year it hasn't gone anywhere because the weather has hardly been inspiring to book an MOT, plus its front dampers started leaking last year and need replacing.

In the 15 years I have owned it I have changed just about all of it, mainly for the fun of it I think, and spent probably more than double the original cost of the car, and apart from a couple of weak moments when I have been out of work, I have never considered selling it. In fact I recently said to somebody, I'm not sure I could ever sell.

But, then a month or so ago, a thought occurred... I can't keep it forever, I'm hardly likely to be able to drive it when I am 80, so surely it has to go at some point in time.

So, when does that time come and when do you know you have reached it?

Yours confused.

PS: I'm not sure if this is the beginning of me selling up or not yet, just kicking ideas / thoughts around.

ETA: If I do choose to sell, it will obviously be replaced by something else toy like.

well you can simply add another dimension to owning the car

Track days

Coming out on group blats with us (you bl**** recluse ;) )

Sprints

Organise some rides out Lincs way for us fen boys

you get the picture :d:t-up:

Age is not an acceptable excuse

ETA: If I do choose to sell, it will obviously be replaced by something else toy like.

and a bit late in the day for playing with rubber dolls :)

I'm hardly likely to be able to drive it when I am 80

why not, Terry Everall and StephenH still drive theirs :laugh:

• Like 1

When your stood infront of it with a hammer in your hand its time to move it on...

'I'm hardly likely to be able to drive it when I am 80'

Why not? Ted Fenwick belies nonsense like that - think he came 9th in class at the pre-tt classic this year... inspiring stuff!

Come to think of it, my father is still a hooligan on the road at 83... :o

why not, Terry Everall and StephenH still drive theirs :laugh:

Oi have a bit of respect for your elders and betters!!

I've only had mine 10 months but I would sell it when I can't get out of the cockpit on my own.

only you can decide when you should sell, boredom, cant be arsed fixing it, moving, kids, legs chopped off, blindness are only excuses that can be got around....

for me it just didnt fit into my life at the moment, i couldnt find a house with a garge to rent, and if i did the insurance in liverpool seems to be double just cos its liverpool, im likely to be moving again in 1yrs time to got knows where, i dont use it as much as i should etc. It wasnt even influenced by her indoors, she likes going out in it so is a bit sad to see it go too. (when it does). you can always come back and get/build/improve another

By the sounds of it, you need to make an effort and drive it. Join in with the Cambs area blats, remeber those ? :)

As others have said before, if it's too much hassle getting it out of the garage to drive it, then I'd sell it. No point in endlessly updrading, fixing things if it never see's the light of day.

If you are spending £300 a year to keep it going, you have to make the decision if it's worthwhile and fits into your lifestyle.

You are suffering from Crap Weather Blues and an excess of blood in your alcohol stream.

If you don't make an effort, you will next get Chinese Rheumatism, where all the iron in your blood turns to lead in your :arse:

My prescription is that you get off your :arse: and go waste a tank of fossil fuels, by yourself, in as a disgraceful fashion as possible, at least once a week for two months. If you're still feeling the same way then, come back and see me.

Trust me - I'm a committee member and I'm married to a doctor. :t-up::laugh:

You are suffering from Crap Weather Blues and an excess of blood in your alcohol stream.

If you don't make an effort, you will next get Chinese Rheumatism, where all the iron in your blood turns to lead in your :arse:

My prescription is that you get off your :arse: and go waste a tank of fossil fuels, by yourself, in as a disgraceful fashion as possible, at least once a week for two months. If you're still feeling the same way then, come back and see me.

Trust me - I'm a committee member and I'm married to a doctor. :t-up::laugh:

And the winner is .........

well you can simply add another dimension to owning the car

Track days

Coming out on group blats with us (you bl**** recluse ;) )

Sprints

Organise some rides out Lincs way for us fen boys

you get the picture :d:t-up:

I kind of think some of that is the problem.

* Done sprints, not really me, I get too competitive, get annoyed I am not fast enough and then stop enjoying myself.

* Trackdays are good, but sadly I can't seem to afford as many as I'd like to do, ~1 a month.

Maybe I need to get out on a few more blats and see what happens. What ever happens I won't change it until next year when the annual bonus arrives.