Knockhill Track Day - 19Th August 2012

GreigM

Great day yesterday and thanks to Greig for organising it. Pics and videos are fantastic.

Although the track was busy during our session, everyone was pretty sensible - with the exception of the d*ck in the white thing with blue stripes. What an A*** - blocking, overtaking on the wrong side, driving like a tw*t on the slow down lap etc. Dunno who he was but hopefully he won't come back. Glad I wasn't the only one who had a 'chat' with him back in the paddock.

That's the first time I've had that car round Knockhill. It felt very neutral and, skill of driver permitting, can go a lot quicker next time but oh for an extra 50bhp for the straight!

It was good to meet up with the folks from down south/up north and put faces to forum names - and the Scottish 'regulars' are a great bunch. Roll on the next trackday!

Next is a wee sprint up the hill during the Boness hillclimb in September... ;)

Matt

Irrotational, were you the guy trying to drift the Caterham during lunch break? It definitely didn't want to rotate did it. :laugh:

I think a few folks were a bit peeved with Mr white and blue MK, I think there'll be a vid from the orange Striker which will show more of his antics. :no:

Here's a couple from me.

A couple of my three in total sessions. (It wasn't a good idea to share the day's driving...)

And one of Pete's

JeffC - Looking at the vid hopefully I didn't block you too much? I was in the cateringvan behind the obstinate blue and white car. I was a lot quicker in the corners but he had more power on the straights and kept accelerating away.

Normally I just ignore people like that and back off half a lap, which I should have done, but he was so bad that I just got obstinate back and wanted to proveu my point...I tried moving around so he would see me in his mirrors, and waved at him several times...he just would not budge. Silly of me really.

I followed him for the whole session and even when I backed off to let others through I caught him pretty quickly.

I saw him looking at me several times in the session but he never seemed to realise that if I was glued to the back of him (apart from the straights) then maybe, just maybe I was quicker over the whole lap.

I spoke to him at the end of the session as I wanted to make my point, but he seemed quite nice in the pits! He mumbled something about me not catching him on the straights so he didn't feel like he needed to pull over. I did point out that I was quicker in the corners but slower in the straights but he just didn't seem to get it. He just mumbled about his tyres being a bit worn!

Apparently he owns three other westfields but prefers that blue and white car.

Anyway - it was a good day out, albeit not the best introduction for all the people new to knockhill. If you liked the circuit I would encourage you to come back for an OPL session by say SIDC or scottish elises. They are well run, good driving standards, and you get some decent track time to settle into the car and learn the track.

I'll post up vids later when I manage to drag them off my ancient camcorder.

Like others I'm after any video of my car - R7 *TC...

I could see your frustration when behind you , he had held me up in previous session, end of day we all paid the same money so all had same rights to track and if someone is faster its no hardship to move across , I thought most drivers were fine sometimes u concentrate on driving rather than mirrors and it may take a corner or so to find space but hogging line and holding into corner isn't on doing a trackdsy , drivers like that should do 1/4 mile drag races!!

Andrew - yes - the drag session was full so I booked onto the drift session for a laugh - I knew I would be rubbish, but it was a chance to have a brief hoon and muck about. I hadn't realised *quite* how many people would be down that end watching!

I did manage to get some nice little 4 wheel slides at the bottom corner but probably no-one could really see - I was getting the back end out quite late on the hairpin, and didn't want to look like a wuss by backing out and catching it too early, so trying to keep my foot in, but then too much throttle and was spinning it.

I did leave a nice set of 11's on the main straight though :d

Annoyingly during the wet session at the end of the day, when no-one was watching, I did manage some awesome "drifts" round the hairpin...I braked quite heavily when turning in, which got the back out nicely, and then managed to get on the power to keep the drift going!! :t-up: I managed it two laps in a row and then lap 3 proved it had been luck rather than judgement and I spun again! :oops::d

The wet session was quite long and by far the best of the day - the car was sliding nicely, but was predictable(ish) and I could flick the back end out at will with moderate power...

JeffC - If I had known how much he had annoyed other people I would have been harsher with him, but backed off as he seemed friendly and he made it sound like an isolated case. The irony was that I had bagsied 2nd in the queue for that session and thought there might be less traffic for a couple of laps!

Looks like you all had a brilliant day. I am gutted that I couldnt make it due to the gearbox, funding issues and the fact I was on a Pistonheads run last week which probably wouldnt go down well 2 weeks on the trot.. I dont think my gearbox would have held out, however since changing the engine mounts it has stopped a lot of the grinding noises, just bearing issues. I would loved to have tried my new big valve polished head against Andrew's 2.1 Pinto, and in fact most of the other variants as well for comparison to see if the almost 4 figure sum was worth it.

Jeff C's Cateringvan looked quick as well. Some excellent videos however and on the whole good driving from you all.

Fraser

Looks like you all had a brilliant day. I am gutted that I couldnt make it due to the gearbox, funding issues and the fact I was on a Pistonheads run last week which probably wouldnt go down well 2 weeks on the trot.. I dont think my gearbox would have held out, however since changing the engine mounts it has stopped a lot of the grinding noises, just bearing issues. I would loved to have tried my new big valve polished head against Andrew's 2.1 Pinto, and in fact most of the other variants as well for comparison to see if the almost 4 figure sum was worth it.

Jeff C's Cateringvan looked quick as well. Some excellent videos however and on the whole good driving from you all.

Fraser

Pity you couldn't make it Fraser, it would have been good to see another Pinto about the place. :yes:

Thanks to Greig for the time to set up the track day.

Never ever been on track before so thanks to all for your good track manners (minus the white/blue car who passed me on the right)

Tried to go to fast on the first couple of sessions then backed off and totally enjoyed it.

By the way did anybody catch me on video going across the grass at the end of the straight? 4th session I think, I went to the grass to miss a spun car, was another yellow car. My car was the yellow Westy with the CPS on the back (Crash Protection System - Sometimes called a spare tyre)

Terry

didnt catch yours but I lost count how many times that yellow sv caterham (lost) kept spinning :oops:

A great day for us so a big thanks to Greig for sorting it, also good to put faces to names.

Unfortunately I also had a run in with a certain bloke in a blue and white car only mine was in the "pen" when he run into the back of my PARKED car fortunately no damage, seems like he isn't even competant at a walking pace in a car park!

Thanks to Ziplob for his offer to re-balance the incident but it wasn't neccesary.

All in all, great day.

What a bell end the guy in the MK was! He's not reslly done anything to me as i was trying to make room quick, but just looking at that video with the striker, what a joke!

I suppose you always have to have 1 villain to make the day more interesting. Aside from this I thought that considering the number of guys who hadn't been on track before, the driving standards were excellent.

Anyway, here's my footage from sessions 2 and 3 - more coming up later:

Session 2- for fun watch my temp gauge hit 120 (centre gauge)....think it was an airlock as it was a lot better later sessions and never got above 100

Session 3 - with JimM's lad in the passenger seat

Just out of interest, does anyone know who Mr white & blue MK was, or did he just book himself into the same group as us?