Knockhill Track Day - 19Th August 2012

GreigM

Cracking hot & highly unusually sunny day at Knockhill with a great turnout of cars. My first time round Knockhill with my 12 year old son and I look forward to the next one. Some seriously quick machines in our session with JeffC's & Greigs cars being ballistic standouts for me running on their slicks. Today has made it my winter mission to supercharge my MX5 powered car as it's seriously lagging behind the tuned zetecs & VX's on the straights.

The only negative point from the day as mentioned by a number of p1ssed off people, were the 2 bawbags (there's a suitably Scottish insult for you) in the luminous yellow/green superlight Cateringvan and the blue & white Vortx? who thought they were immune from the "no overtaking on the right" rule-no need for that when your car is as quick as those two, just leave that sort of behaviour for the hot hatch idiots.

I even met Doug Dastardly, who none of the Scottish guys believed was actually a real person as nobody had ever seen him in the flesh :d

A big thanks to Greig for taking the time to organise the day :yes:

Might even turn up in a westfield next time to prove I've got one (you doubting thomas, Matt ;) )

Was great to meet so many other owners and put faces to names. You're a friendly bunch, aren't you. :t-up:

Had a terrible run home, traffic was busy and it rained most of the way home. Proper thunderplump at home- the rainsplashes were jumping 2 inches off the bonnet when I parked up. I was glad I was being propelled home by german engineering with a roof rather than my own engineering.

Looking forward to meeting up again.

And a big Thanks to Greig for the passenger ride :t-up: it was maybe more fun than driving myself?

The not-so-fictional Doug.

Hi Doug

Yeah nice to meet you at last ,sorry couldn't stay longer ,I will upload some photo's for all to see.

Cheers Wee Dov. :yes:

A great day out and nice to meet you all !

P.S A wee tweek on the AFM and the car was running as sweet as a nut again !!! Glad I left when I did tho' as the monsoon on the way back was a bit fierce!

Greg... when's the next one ! Many thanks for all your organisation.

Vid on Youtube in a day or so...

Looks like you had a great day guys, p******** off I couldnt make it..... have had a bit of a time lately personally... hopefully catch up with you all soon

Craig

Yep, a great day was had by all.

Really enjoyed my first track day.

Thanks again Greg for all your work and for the passenger ride for my son. And to Nick.

He was well impressed by both of your cars and driving skills.

Says I've a lot to learn :)

Same as Dean - need more sped for the straights . Some kits went by that fast it looked as those I was stationary.

Some great photo's guys ....

Till the next time

Cheers

Jim

I thought the circuit, the weather, and (most of) the folks spot on, sadly let down as Greig has said, by very short sessions. Full marks to Greig for getting it sorted though. :yes: :yes: Sorry we sneaked off before the last session. We went to top up fuel, and it started raining, so rather than swap wheels, decided to call it a day. Monsoons on the way back south!

Should get some video up in the next couple of days.

There's no shortage of pics on this thread, here's some more. :t-up:

The rest are uploaded here: http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q63/dixonandrew/Knockhill%20trackday%2019th%20Aug%202012/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

DSC_4034.jpg

DSC_4019.jpg

DSC_3964.jpg

DSC_3996.jpg

DSC_4007.jpg

good to meet you true northerners and bl**dy hell its a hike up there! and thanks again Greig for arranging the day and the weather :t-up: :t-up: :t-up: , would echo above comments on some of the driving, the guy in the blue and white thing held me and quite a few slower cars up most of the day and made it hard to pass without lunging up the inside of him as he was quick down the straights but slug slow in the corners and didnt seem to want to be over taken as will be seen in my video he must have forgot to go to the briefing or was mesmorised by the blonde lass that gave it! (if carling did briefings) ! I came away early as found it difficult to learn the track with the volume of cars on circuit and couldnt get a clear lap and the 7 min sessions were pee ing me off :(

was pleased with my car in the first couple of sessions on 888s felt great but soon as I switched to slicks for 3rd session it was aweful , I think they are passed there best really struggled with the hairpin, just couldnt get it to turn in and had to steer it with the throttle to get out the corner :oops: was lacking confidence on the brakes and the faster corners too, video to follow of a Deer bolting across the track the bloke in front of me must have filled his trousers !!!! :o :o :o :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7pxCIrBtA

My PB, 1'09. Considering it was my first track day, i'm happy with that. Car run well throughout the day. Had a spin in the second session in the first corner, part of the learning experience as some say. If anybody got that on tape, I would love to have a look.

Really enjoyed the last session in the wet, I felt i was quicker than some more powerful cars, specially through the bendy bit. I still think I can shave a good few seconds off with the current setup.

Good to put faces on the names. Doug, I'm up for the Lecht run once you get your car back from Ricky!

More videos and pics to come.

If you go to 5:40 in that vid you can see the fuel pishing out of the Sonic....then me frantically trying to tell him to head into the pits.......also from about 3.20 you can see kev sitting in the grass at the hairpin

Youtube video

JeffC - Looking at the vid hopefully I didn't block you too much? I was in the cateringvan behind the obstinate blue and white car. I was a lot quicker in the corners but he had more power on the straights and kept accelerating away.

Normally I just ignore people like that and back off half a lap, which I should have done, but he was so bad that I just got obstinate back and wanted to prove my point...I tried moving around so he would see me in his mirrors, and waved at him several times...he just would not budge. Silly of me really.

I followed him for the whole session and even when I backed off to let others through I caught him pretty quickly.

I saw him looking at me several times in the session but he never seemed to realise that if I was glued to the back of him (apart from the straights) then maybe, just maybe I was quicker over the whole lap.

I spoke to him at the end of the session as I wanted to make my point, but he seemed quite nice in the pits! He mumbled something about me not catching him on the straights so he didn't feel like he needed to pull over. I did point out that I was quicker in the corners but slower in the straights but he just didn't seem to get it. He just mumbled about his tyres being a bit worn!

Apparently he owns three other westfields but prefers that blue and white car.

Anyway - it was a good day out, albeit not the best introduction for all the people new to knockhill. If you liked the circuit I would encourage you to come back for an OPL session by say SIDC or scottish elises. They are well run, good driving standards, and you get some decent track time to settle into the car and learn the track.

I'll post up vids later when I manage to drag them off my ancient camcorder.

Like others I'm after any video of my car - R7 *TC...