Car Accessory Upgrades Of The 60's

SootySport

What about the optional extra on Ford Consuls etc, the bag of cement in the boot to stop the tail wagging on corners.

The bluey stuff people painted their chrome with before winter.

The chain hanging down dragging on the road to reduce car sickness, what was all that about.

Some of the stuff mentioned is all too familiar and some of it's on my Westfield (not the fake bullet holes, I have real ones - I live near Croydon)

Wipac I think it was, Clip on tea tray for the side window.

Side Window Clip on parking lights.

The chain hanging down dragging on the road to reduce car sickness, what was all that about.

used to kill static electric charges which could give quite shocking results

:)

Great topic, at last one I can contribute to!

Ok, what about those roller blinds in the back window operated from the front with a cord (I think this was 40s 50s)

and...

The old Ford pop windscreen wiper working off a vacuum on the inlet manifold I think, so just when you wanted the wipers when you put your foot down the slower they got.

and...

Semaphore indicators. I read that a lady of the upper classes refused to let het chauffeur use them because it was rude to point.

Ok so I am ancient.

what about chrome wheel trims (not the full wheel trims but the ones that went around the edge of the rim or bolted to the studs)

vaseline on your chrome :laugh:

vaseline on your chrome

Heard it called many things, but never "chrome". Mind you chrome's hard. :)

Those fly deflectors stuck on the front of the bonnet.

bl**** hell, Kerry! I bow to your superior memory!

Fangi0 My old Morris Ten had one of the roller blinds on the back window - useful when the ankle straps in the back passenger compartment were in use! :oops:

Cleggy. They were called rim embellishers IIRC, but not 'rim blemishers' as a chap of my acquaintance called them! :bangshead:

come on boys what about the steel wides spayed black ,we didn't have posh aloys then,ho and a £1 filled it up and could do 200miles in a mini ho what days i had in that :)

So why don't cars suffer from it now?

They do my wife's Fiesta gives me a belt every now and again, I'm sure she's programmed it that way :laugh:

If I get out of the car and keep hold of someting I'm alright, but if I get out and let go then grab the door to close it, OUCH!

They do my wife's Fiesta gives me a belt every now and again, I'm sure she's programmed it that way :laugh:

If I get out of the car and keep hold of someting I'm alright, but if I get out and let go then grab the door to close it, OUCH!

Yes it does happen still, some cars are prone to static and some not. My Skoda Fabia was always giving me shocks but strangely not the wife.

Banded (welded) steel wide wheels ! Deadly.

Tried that on my Anglia, my welding wasn't up to standard they leaked air and the wheels were impossible to balance :d . Ended up having to buy new wheels which cost more than the Anglia was worth. Lesson learned.

Didn't Weller wheels do those widened wheels?

Are WW still eround?

a