• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Off Topic - Upvc Door-Lock On It's Way Out. Repairable?

CrashBangWallop

The click could well be the spring cassettes as mentioned before.

Looking at the lock, With the handles up and the bolts out, you will find some vertical slack in them . They will have dropped slightly and may not be aligning properly, file a lead on the bottom of the bolt so that it will slide up into place in the keep .

apply a bit of vaseline to the contact points of the lock/keeps and drop some light oil into the lock where you can ,

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrashBangWallop

• Lurksalot

• housebeautician

• Rab (bombero) Reid

I don't mean to hijack your topic but I'm also suffering from door lock conundrums! Just a quick question: How do you take out the lock?

76aa5fb6.jpg

I've removed all the screws in the jamb, handles and spindle but the lock doesn't seem to want to budge. (It's a GU 2-hook with a Sterling lock .. whatever all that means, lol)

put the key in the barrel , wiggle it to about 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn and slide the barrel out towards you by pulling on the key as you turn it .

the direction you turn it depends on which side of the door you are, so try turning the other way if the first turn doesn't work .

Support the lock strip as you do this as it may move a touch making the barrel removal a little difficult.

once the barrel is out the lock will come out easily .the barrel actually slides through the lockcase so the lock won't budge till its out .

you will also notice that the hole in the lock strip near the barrel had a different type of screw ( possibly M6 threaded) make sure this screw goes back in the right place when re-assembling .

I'll do a few of the suggestions. Thank you, kindly. If I were to attempt to remove the locking mechanism, am I looking at sliding out something the full height of the door? There's plenty of videos of people removing the barrel, but I've not found any yet of someone removing the actual mechanism.

Neil

Edit: -Added a horrible video (turn the sound off), but is this what I would be expecting to see?

Edited by CrashBangWallop

Neil

Its as simple as the video

tony

For someone who's done it a thousand times, maybe? How do the top and bottom locks work with the central lock? Is there some kind of rod going between them? I can't quite tell with that video. Will all three sections come out together? I don't want any surprises!

Firstly can I just say that I love this forum!! Not only do I learn and share about all things westy, I can also get good friendly advice on DIY!

Not one for hijacking, getting what I want and then f***** off, I wanted to post my thanks to all and apologies, once again, to CrashBangWallop for not giving me grief re hijack. I replaced my lock this morning (thanks to the advice on here) and all is ticketyboo. I hope you get yours sorted, CBW!

Yep, it's what makes the forum and the club so much more than just the sum of it's parts!

I'll do a few of the suggestions. Thank you, kindly. If I were to attempt to remove the locking mechanism, am I looking at sliding out something the full height of the door? There's plenty of videos of people removing the barrel, but I've not found any yet of someone removing the actual mechanism.

Neil

Edit: -Added a horrible video (turn the sound off), but is this what I would be expecting to see?

That is pretty much it , though if you try the tricks already mentioned you may have no need to take the lock out , I would also add that if the lock is knackered , buy a new one before you start messing with the lock case components , they can be full of springs, lose one and you might not even get the door closed, never mind locked.

Quality video :laugh: , 2.01 when you take the inside handle off the outside one will fall to the ground :laugh:

It might be worth taking the handle off with the door open , that way you can hold both handles as you take out the screws and you can access the lock because the door is already open ;)

Sorry. I apologise in advance to bring this to the top again. It's not getting any more exciting, but it is a handy place to forward all my dodgy videos. A quick picture message communication is one thing... a video is slightly bigger.

I'll take it off tomorrow, when I have a few hours of daylight to play with.

Neil

Firstly... I lined up the top and bottom bolts with the door using masking tape to check the clearance with the door. The top bolt has plenty, but the bottom bolt is ever-so-slightly catching until I move the handle all the way down (hearing that click). Then it slides in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7SxssSGHjk

My hinge. Anywhere useful to heighten it? There doesn't seem anything useful from the bottom, but with the end cover off, there seems to be a very small thread visible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ndcasLBGbE

The larger screw that you have uncovered by removing the end cap , can be turned and will have the effect of moving the sash either closer or further away from the hinge jamb. you may even have more adjustment at the top of the hinge pin which may be eccentric.

• 1 year later...