• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Off Topic - Upvc Door-Lock On It's Way Out. Repairable?

CrashBangWallop

Afternoon people,

My front door stopped locking all the time, over the weekend, with a friend being a bit over-zealous whilst closing it. It's the handle where you have to rotate the handle upwards to get the bolts to engage into the frame. I've checked my neighbours door (we all have the same in the street) and there's a nasty, clicking sound in my door when the handle is depressed. It sounds like something has been dislodged inside the mechanism. Perhaps, from closing the door too hard or being a bit vigorous with the handle. The door is now locking 50% of the time, first time, but is usually requiring a bit of careful fiddling to get it to lock at all (get the handle up).

These being double-glazed doors, I'm wondering if they're repairable by a locksmith or are the doors a sealed unit? I realise they had to be put together, but are they put together in a way that seals them? There's certainly plenty of screws around the frame. Just wondering if anyone else has had a UPVC door repaired or works with them/fits them?

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by CrashBangWallop

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrashBangWallop

• Lurksalot

• housebeautician

• Rab (bombero) Reid

Has it dropped on the hinges? mine locks/unlocks in the same way as yours and every couple of years I need to wind the allen key on the hinge to left it back up again so it locks properly.

Where do you live and when are you going out?

There's got to be a million different manufacturers of uPVC door locks with a million different mechanisms. Our back door lock went from a drunken ham-fisted buffoon I call a friend, took it apart and fixed it, the only way to find out is to grab some tools, take it apart and see what you can do with it.

This may help identify the type of lock - spares are available

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/locks-gearing-163/multipoint-upvc-door-locks-184/?zenid=687c062dcfd91408ec6dc56d45ecf4ef

if you're not sure about doing it yourself then any decent locksmith should be able to sort it out these days ;)

Has it dropped on the hinges? mine locks/unlocks in the same way as yours and every couple of years I need to wind the allen key on the hinge to left it back up again so it locks properly.

Hinge as in door/frame hinge or handle hinge. I don't know the answer to either at the moment. The door locks come out quite happily when the door is not closed. So, it could be an alignment thing? :-S

I ain't unscrewing bits of my door!

Yeah, my friend doesn't know 'gentle'. First time he's been to my house... Last time, too! :d

Looking at the link - It's a deadbolt. One at the top of the door and one at the bottom. I'll stick up a photo, tonight when I get back.

I just wanted to make sure it was repairable. £300 on a new door was not something I particularly wanted to part with.

Thanks, people.

I'll be back later.

Neil

Hinge as in door/frame hinge or handle hinge. I don't know the answer to either at the moment. The door locks come out quite happily when the door is not closed. So, it could be an alignment thing? :-S

I ain't unscrewing bits of my door!

Yeah, my friend doesn't know 'gentle'. First time he's been to my house... Last time, too! :d

Looking at the link - It's a deadbolt. One at the top of the door and one at the bottom. I'll stick up a photo, tonight when I get back.

I just wanted to make sure it was repairable. £300 on a new door was not something I particularly wanted to part with.

Thanks, people.

I'll be back later.

Neil

Hinge as in door to frame hinge.

On mine the adjuster bolt is also the pivot, so it has a habit of self adjusting over time.

There's nothing complicated to unscrew, a few turns on the allen bolt in the pic every now and again is all it takes. Most designs I've come across all work on a similar priciple for adjustment.

DSC_0565.jpg

We had a similar issue which was just some loose screws down the side of the door near where the latches protrude. Tightened them up and all is now OK

sure it was a drunken friend?

They're easy to take apart, much easier than working on a Westie. It's usually a simple tighten up to fix.

From memory, my hinges aren't as easy to get to as yours are.

I'll check the screws on the door.

I think the fact that my door handle has a new clicking-latch sound, the door-slam, probably, did more than just loosen a couple of screws.

I should be able to post a pic in about an hour's time.

Thanks.

If the bolts and barrels come out and the key turns when it is open then there's nothing wrong with the lock

Take the keepers off the frame, shut the door and try to lock it, if it locks replace the keepers one at a time and try locking it in between until you find the one that's catching it will need adjusting either moving in or out on the frame or it will be an allen key cam on the door

There doesn't look like there is any small thing that can be slid out there. The whole side of the door is screwed in, top to bottom.

I was going to post a video too, but it was 90 meg and I haven't got a converter installed on my machine at the moment.

20120213_182154.jpg

20120213_182112.jpg

20120213_182105.jpg

20120213_182054.jpg

Your lock looks like a Fullex lock ,......... latch , top and bottom bolts and a deadbolt .

This is a good lock and replaceable , expect to pay about a ton for a new one .

quick fixes are 1-- handle springs these can break, making the clicking sound and mean the handle does not lift far enough to allow the barrel to turn thus making the deadbolt inoperable . take the handle off and replace the spring cassettes, up to £20 plus delivery ish

2 adjust the keeps on the outer frame as wizzer suggests and/or file a lead on the bottom edge o the bolts and apply a bit of lubrication , it will help the bolt align with the keep.

3 there is a screw which seems sunk under the lock face plate, just below the mid deadbolt , this screw secures the barrel and is only accessible with the lock either in the open or handle lifted mode (depending on the model) with the door open , check this screw is tight as this can come loose and jam the mechanism.

4 Occasionally with this lock the internal screws holding the gearbox to the linkages come loose and can grind against the underside of the lock face plate and prevent the movement of the linkage mechanism ....carefully take off the faceplate, look for evidence of interference and tichten/locktite the offending screws .

do it soon ,or get someone to do it for you , if the lock jams locked it may mean a new door and that is pricey, a new lock fitted at £150 may seem a lot but it depends on the overall condition of the door and wether it owes you much

Oh and finally , if you reckon £300 is a lot to pay for a quality composite door, fitted, with a reasonable warranty then I despair .:(

HTH

http://youtu.be/aC0G3QGCtKg

Uploaded to the 'tube. It's far from exciting, but it shows the door mechanism and from 45 seconds in, is the new click sound that wasn't there beforehand.

Feel free to look at my other videos. They're much more exciting, but completely un-car-related. :d

As for the £300 door... I just typed 'UPVC door price' into google and looked at the first thing I happened upon. It could have been a trade website or a really crappy door.

Thanks,

Neil