• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Jaguar X-Type Diesel - Any Good?

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

The private sale one is too risky in my view so I have abandoned that for the moment. As for alternatives, well yes I have thought of them but I have had such sterling service from two Mondeos (1.8 TD estate and 2.0 Ghia estate - both diesel) that a nicely appointed car like the X-Type based on the reliable Mondeo platform appeals to me. As long as the recall work worked, IYSWIM, the reliability is not in question according to the 'informed'. Off to see a Jaguar warranted 'Approved' used one later today so we'll see.....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Man On The Clapham Omnibus

• Geoff101

• uk89camaro

• Hammy

Update: I have found a very nice, low mileage 2007 2.2 Sovereign estate....

The only other common fault in this model is that Jag sent a load of paperwork to the DVLA that caused a lot of non Sovereign X-Types to be V5'd as Sovereigns. My 2.2D Sport Premium says "Sovereign" on the V5. However, it bothers me not because I didn't go looking for a Sov, and I much prefer the look of the SP, no horrid wood.

I haven't read of any disasters on the Jag forums in regards to the cruise software fix though. I haven't had mine done though.

There's also another Mondeo in a posh suit of clothes, and I have one :) Auto so no DMF.

There's also another Mondeo in a posh suit of clothes, and I have one :) Auto so no DMF.

Ah Kerry Old Bean! Just the man to ask about towbars. I have put a wedge down on a 56 plate estate this afternoon but now, 'cos I trailer the Westfield to trackdays, I need to get a towbar fitted. Would you recommend the interface connector arrangement or the conventional tap in to the loom technique? After all this info I definitely owe you a beer sometime. :t-up:

The ford fuel pump / injector issues put me off buying another diesel mondeo , apparently they run the fuel at a silly pressure , the fuel pump isnt up to the job , brakes up and puts swarf into the fuel rail which does the injectors in. @ £400 a pop plus new pump and rail and purging the fuel lines ,tank etc .

quite a hefty bill if like me your luck stinks

Not heard of that..

And *when* the DMF fails (or if you can, before it fails and takes the starter with it) get along to a Mr Clutch. They will replace the DMF with a normal flywheel. Fit and forget.

If the starter is failing intermittently on a Ford, then that usually means the DMF isn't long for this world. Beware any TDCi with a dodgy starter!

Blatters, good so see your head above the parapet once more! :d I was aware of the DMF failure rate but my 2.0TDDi Mondeo has a DMF and also has 125,000 miles under its belt with (thus far) no problems. I bought it at 63,000 and have driven it with sympathy - no labouring or snatching - which seems to have paid off. This Jaguar has a mere 27,000 miles on it so, if I drive it in the same manner, will last as long as I want it to - I hope. Bernie, injectors; well certainly they do fail but so do they in all common rail diesels over time and I don't do that many miles any more so once again, I hope for a fair wind... :oops:

I have to say that the Jag is beautifully appointed and even has a radio that argues with you! (Jaguar 'Voice'). :suspect:

Dont be too scared all cars have their problems ! I would buy again in a flash.

My 55plate 130 6 speed Mondeo has been faultless since purchase apart from a crank pulley fault ( listen for rattley noise just above idle, which is the tensioner vibrating - noticable when manovering. The pulley goes off centre and wrecks the tensioner which vibrates at low speed, a replaced tensioner will only last 6k miles if its not fixed). Supposed to be fixed post 2006.

The exhuast gas recirculating valve do-dar wotsit thingy ( not sure of name) needs cleaning every 30-40k when hunting at low revs appears. Garage will want to replace as its a dirty job, but its very easy to take off and clean it out for little cost. There is some performance lost when this bungs up. If you are keen take the inlet manifold off too as this gets carbon deposits near the ports.

I keep it regularly serviced (inc fuel filter changes) and it gets mixed driving,sometime quite hard. Economy is very good, with 50+ easy anytime you get on the motorway, 60+ if you get the speed at 60mph, 47 around the town. Performance is strong and do drive it fairly hard - I like that torque!...

Jag service is expensive ,Ford is cheap to buy and serivce which is why I did without the posh frock version ( which is not so good a car IMO, feels smaller inside and old fashioned).

You do get wear in the links from the rear anti roll bar causing a noise like the spare wheel is loose, but this is a cheap fix ( mine now showing wear at 75,000).

Thanks Hammy, mine is the 2.2 but still a Mondeo engine. It had just been serviced and won't need another for a year at least. After that I shall probably do it myself or get a local indy to do it. The Jaguar forum suggests many Ford consumable parts are identical and cheaper; you only need to use your brain to guess which... The EGR is a known chore with many cars - I haven't done my Modeo's as the valve on the non-common rail TDDi is hidden around the back and very inaccessible. As I type, a Jag main dealer's service van has arrived at my next door neighbour's house. He's a Jag fanatic with an XJ6 Coupé from the 70s in his garage and a modern 'S' Type 'R' on the drive. Which one is giving him bother I wonder... ???

I bought my wife a 2000mile Mondeo Ghia TDI 2.0 Estate in 2004, now done a faultless 55000 miles and unable to get her to change, two years ago I decided to change from decades of BMWs and because of the Fords reliability found a mint 1000 mile X type Sovereign, black with ivory leather ( not keen on the brown steering wheel ) I thought the seats should have black piping and it just did not look right, spoke to a Godson that had worked in a Jaguar dealership turns out it was not a sovereign apart from the grille just a speced up Jaguar and there are lots of them about, its a little earner the dealers got up to but made this one worth condiderably less money, the owner also discovered from the Jaguar supplying dealer car was manufactured 2 years before it was registered. I bought another low mileage BMW 525SE TDI which has also been faultless.

Jag service is more expensive at list price but my dealer was always up for a good haggle and I always managed to get it down to a price that I was happy with (you'll be surprised what you can get just for asking - even off fixed servicing).

Most will also collect and deliver at no extra cost which can be a big help.

More importantly, my dealer at least always made me feel like a valued customer regardless of the fact I was probably spending less than most of the people that went through the door. This is something sadly lacking when you're handing over significant sums of cash to some other manufacturers.

As I said in my previous post, there's no point trying to pretend that an x-type is on the same level technically as an equivalent 3 series or audi but (and this bit is subjective) mine made me feel much more special than my current 120d M-sport. The Jag drew frequent positive comment, the BMW is just another (very nicely made and competent) eurobox. The BMW would run rings round it on any sort of measurable test (performance, reliability, handling) other than comfort but that's missing the complete picture of the ownership experience.

Individual choice I suppose. The jag was my own car and the BMW that replaced it is a company car which I chose because for the money, it offered far better value, economy, performance etc than the x-type I could have got for the same monthly cost.

I presume used values reflect this as well though so you'll be paying more for the equivalent 3-series if buying it yourself.

In any case - MOTCO has made his choice now so lets all just hope that he enjoys it. I for one think he will.

I bought my wife a 2000mile Mondeo Ghia TDI 2.0 Estate in 2004, now done a faultless 55000 miles and unable to get her to change, two years ago I decided to change from decades of BMWs and because of the Fords reliability found a mint 1000 mile X type Sovereign, black with ivory leather ( not keen on the brown steering wheel ) I thought the seats should have black piping and it just did not look right, spoke to a Godson that had worked in a Jaguar dealership turns out it was not a sovereign apart from the grille just a speced up Jaguar and there are lots of them about, its a little earner the dealers got up to but made this one worth condiderably less money, the owner also discovered from the Jaguar supplying dealer car was manufactured 2 years before it was registered. I bought another low mileage BMW 525SE TDI which has also been faultless.

If you have the energy to read all the way through, it appears that there was a batch of sub-Sovereign spec cars that were mis-identified as Sovereigns by the factory in their submission to dealers. These have only come to light recently, it seems. I trawled through the specs and cannot find any anomalies in my car's spec but some poor sods have paid Sovereign price for SE cars. Add a dollop of myth and rumour and stir...

http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52094&start=30

Ah Kerry Old Bean! Just the man to ask about towbars. I have put a wedge down on a 56 plate estate this afternoon but now, 'cos I trailer the Westfield to trackdays, I need to get a towbar fitted. Would you recommend the interface connector arrangement or the conventional tap in to the loom technique? After all this info I definitely owe you a beer sometime. :t-up:

Replied by e-mail. Used what's called a bypass relay on my Vol-deo - still taps into wiring loom (via a Volvo multiway connector) but takes low current signals to trigger relays for each light function.