• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Not Quite A Rebuild!

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

Whats with the pipe lagging on the screen and rollbar?

it's just to stop either the paint/powder coat of the car or the soft lining of the outdoor cover from rubbing and fretting. (Previous experience is of the outdoor covers rubbing through over time on the roll bar "corners")

Heavy snow falling in the "workshop" limited progress a bit this weekend. Fortunately it stopped and thawed a little bit by Sunday so I could crack on a bit more with the passenger seat.

ZE9T3859-Edit.jpg

The off-side bracket was duly marked up, fitted and drilled out in-situ. (Hence the tray, aluminium swarf is a b******* to vac out of the carpet)

ZE9T3860.jpg

The near-side is really tricky though, as it's so close to the wheel arch you can't get a hand down, and there's only an inch or two clearance between the bulkhead and the seat back.

So I bolted the NS bracket to the seat, then bolted the seat in.

ZE9T3861.jpg

Then it's out with the patent seat marker tool :d a sawn off pencil stub, gaffer taped to some M6 stud. With this, I can reach down the gap, and mark through the bolt holes on the bracket to the masking tape stuck on the rear bulkhead.

From then on it's just a case of popping the seat out, drilling the bulkhead, and bolting the bracket in place. At the same time, I siliconed some washers and bolts through the old seat mounting holes to seal them up.

Finished fitting the pax seat Monday evening; bit too dark for pictures though!

I need to sort out getting the car + tonneau cover to a trimmer now so that I can get JK sized and shape pockets added, instead of the WF Sports Seat pockets. (Which for the moment I've just unstitched and removed, so at least the tonneau will fasten down and give some protection.

Next job up, is one of those unplanned affairs that comes out of pub/club night conversations.

Credit goes to Steve A for the idea ;) a neat solution for adding DRL, though in my case, I'm keeping them purely as "beefed" up sidelights, cause I want to retain the ability to turn them on and off when I want, not when a controller things they should be on. :p

First step was to replace the ordinary sidelight bulbs with an LED equivalent.

For anyone that's not change Westfield light bulbs, on the standard factory headlights, undoing one Allan bolt at the top will let the front bezel with the lamp unit clipped in swing down and come free.

The sidelight bulb holder is then just a push fit through a rubber grommet. (The main dipped bulb assembly is just held in by a wire clip). The new LED sidelamps are the weird bulb shaped things with the square yellow panels on them!

IMAGE_542FED0A-1866-4833-B523-ED546C1F3D02.JPG

(Forgot to take a camera with me, so these are just iPhone jobbies, oops. :blush: )

IMAGE_89CFB79E-5A9A-4D3E-B026-C953A3A1AE91.JPG

Nice and bright on their own, but the next step was to remove the main beam/dipped bulb so that i could get "into" the lamp housing. (I might have a look at swapping those bulbs as well while I've got it apart for something a bit brighter.)

Thats very clever!! Looking forward to seeing the finished result. Will they be bright enough?

Will try and do some photos of "step 2" tonight; neons anyone? :);):p

(Don't forget, for me, technically, they're not DRL, just something I can use as such, without having to go to dipped beam.)

Dave,

Were did you get your front sidelights and what number/type/style are they I'm looking for 2 myself. I intend leaving my side lights on most of the time to ensure the rest of the population can see the car coming.

Bob :d

These are the little b*******s:

Xenon LED Light Bulbs T11 - BA9S - 233 - T4W Sidelight 9 SMD White x 2 Pack by AP Xenon Bulbs

Thanks Dave,

Just ordered a pair

Bob

:d:yes:

Part two :d Neons a go go, well OK LED's again ;)

ZE9T3867.jpg

They're the typical clear plastic encased strips, flexible without being too floppy :blush:

The first step was applying some double sided adhesive foam rubber tape to the outer edge.

ZE9T3869.jpg

The tape is actually slightly wider than the LED strip, so I've kept the overhang to the back.

The strip is then fed into the lamp housing through the main bulb opening and pressed onto the shell, just behind the lens.

The thin lead wire was then pressed into the overhang I'd left on the adhesive strip, and fed out through the sidelight grommet.

ZE9T3865.jpg

(You don't quite get the full effect as the reflector's picking up the flash gun here)

Surprised me just how much light they seem to give out for what they are!

ZE9T3866.jpg

I managed to get one side back on the car last night, the other's assembled now, just needs to be refitted.

Then I'll have smiley headlights :laugh::cool::westy:

Both lights refitted to the car now; give a surprising amount of light :d

ZE9T3875-Edit.jpg

Fitted a set of front mudflaps yesterday, hopefully reduce some of the spray coming off the R1Rs, just need to do some for the rear now.

ZE9T3914.jpg

I'm still hunting your webcam in my garage. Just installed the sidelight LEDs what a difference, massively brighter as you so well demonstrated in your photo. Thanks for the numbers, made life a lot easier. Huge benefit from such an easy mod. I haven't done the smiley ones so don't worry, not going to be two identically prepared motors at the warmer weather meets. Just measured up for ------ mud flaps. Keep the mods coming, a lot easier with Gadgetmans guides. Bob

Oh, no fear, as far as I know, there'll be at least three now! Like I say, I can't claim to have come up with this one; Steve A was demonstrating it on video last Cheshire meet, and supplied part no.s, I think Andy may have done the mod too. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to filling the hole on the passengers sidescreen left by the original securing straps fixing position, in the lower corner:

ZE9T3927.jpg

Have to say, even without the JK seats, it's so much easier using the sidescreens with full harnesses with the straps in the forward position - something I've seen on a few other cars, and recommended to me in the past by Cheshire's old AO, Mark B.

Other than that not much build work this weekend, went out for blats both Saturday and Sunday - though I did find myself doing a quick steering gaiter swap last thing Sunday afternoon as the old one has split. (It was less than eighteen months old too.) It was a fairly extreme split, ripping almost all the way round at the outer start of the bellows section. It developed very quickly as well, going from nothing visible last weekend, to being nearly in two pieces by the end of this one. :down::bangshead: :bangshead: :bangshead:

Ah well, steering action feels OK, so fingers crossed. (I stripped all the old grease off that end of the rack and arm, cleaned it up and re-greased before putting the new bellows on.)

Next job, just started, is to finish off where I started filling in the old lock barrel holes in the bonnet, a job started way back when, last year!