Help with indicators and lights please!

Stevemarsh

Thanks for your thought and opinion, I have spoken in depth to DVLA, VOSA and the insurers. They are all happy with the registration and they all say this is NOT uncommon on kit cars. And yes I do have it in writing from the insurance company, it's all refered and it's all fine. I guess this can be the problem with forums sometimes, normally very positive help but sometimes people state facts that just are not true. I don't think I would post a comment unless I knew what I was saying was 100% factual. I have really found this forum very helpfull and people amazing, saying you would tell people to stay clear of my car if it were for sale is not what I expected from this site. I dont mind any comments, but please make sure your not giving wrong advice as others may have listened to this and gone to unnecessary expence.

Steve,

I have removed my post so no one can see it in the future - it was not intended to offend - sorry.

None taken,

Just like everything to be 100% factual if in the open forum.

Still need to get indicators sorted! Thats this afternoons project!

Kind Regards

Steve

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stevemarsh

• Captain Colonial

• flyingbanana

• nikpro

Steve,

seriously though you need to 're-visit' the registration issue - it isn't registered correctly on the V5 (It definately isn't a Dutton!).

I'm old enough and have had Kit-cars long enough to remember the 'truce' by DVLA on incorrectly registered vehicles that were registered prior to SVA.

Read other members views on incorrect registration on another recent post:

Correct Registration

...and a Google search will bring up lots.

Getting it Registered as a Westfield - if nothing else will increase the resale value.

(You have doccumentation and proof of it being built/used prior to SVA so this will hopefully help).

Regarding your lights it definately sounds like an Earth problem at the back of the car or maybe a faulty flasher relay.

Don't take it the wrong way Steve, I think everyone in here is mindful of your recent problems and we are getting a bit protective of you!  Combine that with a forum full of experienced kit car owners who know the highs and lows of ownership gained through year of discussion, and you get people looking after each other, is all.  If you're happy, we are happy, but it's a good lesson for anyone else in future.

Now let's get back to the leccys, shall we?

Brilliant post.....couldn't have put it any better.

Steve, as you have already experienced, the advice these guys can give will prove invaluable to you and it's free and willingly provided!!

They are the best support group you could ever wish for and as the Captain says, they're a protective lot and genuinely only have the best interests of fellow Westy owners at heart. You may get differing opinions and the odd comment may not be fully appreciated, but no offence is ever meant and I personally would always prefer to be presented with information, 'warts and all,' even if there is potential bad news. I want to be as informed as possible and then I can make up my own mind. There are certainly plenty of individual 'characters' on this site, and even if you've never met them, as I haven't, you soon 'get to know them,' if you know what I mean :) Top fellas though, one and all and the fountain of much knowledge, which I haven't got. They are my own personal Westfield Wiki  ;)

Indeed I've found it extremely humbling at times how complete strangers are prepared to help so much and without doubt, the chaps on this forum have been made a significant contribution to making my first 6 months of ownership, an absolutely brilliant one. And that's despite some lows mixed in with the highs.

I therefore owe a great deal to them!

Am sure you're electrics will be sorted soon and yes, those Yokos are something else aren't they!! The phrase "on rails" suddenly springs to mind!

Have fun.  :D

Steve,

seriously though you need to 're-visit' the registration issue - it isn't registered correctly on the V5 (It definately isn't a Dutton!).

I'm old enough and have had Kit-cars long enough to remember the 'truce' by DVLA on incorrectly registered vehicles that were registered prior to SVA.

Read other members views on incorrect registration on another recent post:

Correct Registration

...and a Google search will bring up lots.

Getting it Registered as a Westfield - if nothing else will increase the resale value.

(You have doccumentation and proof of it being built/used prior to SVA so this will hopefully help).

Regarding your lights it definately sounds like an Earth problem at the back of the car or maybe a faulty flasher relay.

Dont get me wrong, Id much rather the v5 say westfield, but after paying £6k for the car and another £6k on the engine and repaires the last thing I need is to have to spend even more on getting it through an IVA test.  Which I wouldnt know where to start with.  The main thing is, the car is legal, MOTed and all parties (DVLA, VOSA and the Insurers) have all the information and have all confirmed the car is fine to be on the road.

I guess its like these MR2s you see going around at 355s.  I know the cars a westfield, from start to finnish as I have all the build reciepts and all documents.  

Worst case, its insured as a dutton kit car, moddifed to look like a westfield.  All of which is fine as long as everyone knows.  I knew all the facts before buying the car.

I would be interested in changing the log book, but if there is a chance they might say the car needs to be off the road as a jobsworth can not see or understand. I really do not see the point in going to all the hassle.  

when I come to sell the car, I will be upfront in explaining this all and it will be the buyers choice as it was mine to go ahead and enjoy driving it rather than worrying about letters on paper.

I agree that it must be insured correctly, which it is, and I would never drive a car that wasnt.  I went to a lot of effort to speak to dvla, vosa etc and infact it was VOSA that actually said to me "if i were you id let sleeping dogs lie..."  and "you really dont want to put your car through an IVA!"  I have all this on call recording too!

The main thing, is the insurance company are happy, I have a letter and a recorderd phone call.  I have agreed value for £7k as me and the insurer discussed that duttons are worth less and agreed value was better.  I sent them all photos and bills to have this arranged.

My car is safe, legal, Moted and insured. and goes like stick after being at NMS!

do you have any form of wiring diagram ??

Im not sure....

I have the build manual, and almost every bit of paperwork in two large box folders!

Thats probably the only bit i dont have.  I think the dash needs to come off, and just needs a bit of a tidy and maybe a new dash back in.  I know it looks a bit old, but i must say I like the "rustic" look of the dash!

Maybe a few new switches and new wheel!

I might try and have a look to see if i can find out where the earth points are...

I might try and have a look to see if i can find out where the earth points are...

I think that's your best starting point mate.  Too much of a coincidence that the indicators, fog and reverse light all go at the same time.  The rear light clusters and connections are common weak points in that they are exposed to the elements, unlike most mass production cars.  I know I'd start there first.  Get the boot box out (not hard) and get under the rear, trace the wires one by one for condition and connection.  You'll probably find one or more wires that are earthed to the chassis frame - these will be the most likely culprits in my humble opinion - and any breaks or loose connections are easily fixed.

Forget the dash for now, be patient, be methodical and you'll crack this minor fault.  Remember we all started from a knowledge level of zero when we started working on cars, whether that be at 5 years old or 45 years old.  My grandmother used to say that everyone is a moron, just in different areas, until they learn by experience.  You're climbing the learning curve is all.  What you have to your advantage is this knowledge base and support network when you get stuck.

Now take a deep breath, grab a beer, clear your head and relax - you're among friends.

All sorted!!

The fog light was just the bulb, now replaced, and working and I found a loose wire that which came from a small box, same size as a dash switch I guess with the word Lucas on it. The small box had the spade and wire connector on it still but the wire had come loose. I've re cramped it and checked the other and indicators work now!!

Whilst boot box off I checked all wires and they all seem pretty clean and new.

Whilst under dash found a few dangly bulb holders, wnt and got new little bulbs and found that they had come out the back of my dials, pushed them back in and I can now see the speedo and the others at night!

All in all a pretty good afternoons work! Didnt even have to use the multimeter I picked up from halfords yet!!

Thanks again for all your help

Steve

Really pleased for you mate, well done!  You've taken the first steps on a very satisfying journey, and it should give you confidence in your own abilities to do other things too. Have a beer and feel smug, ya done good!

Really pleased for you mate, well done!  You've taken the first steps on a very satisfying journey, and it should give you confidence in your own abilities to do other things too. Have a beer and feel smug, ya done good!

Thankyou,

All I got from the wife was moaned at for being in the garage so long!

Setting my alarm to 6 tomorrow, going to jack car up and de grease what ever I can see and clean it all up!

Thank you again for all your help

Thanks again to everyones help so far and all comments on my car, it's nice to know people are looking out for me.

Hope to see you all soon

Steve

All sorted!!

The fog light was just the bulb, now replaced, and working and I found a loose wire that which came from a small box, same size as a dash switch I guess with the word Lucas on it.

That will be the flasher relay - well done  :t-up:

Well done. Glad to hear you sorted it.

It's a good feeling when you've had a successful day isn't it?

Well done. Glad to hear you sorted it.

It's a good feeling when you've had a successful day isn't it?

It sure is! Planning on another good day tomorrow too!

All sorted!!

The fog light was just the bulb, now replaced, and working and I found a loose wire that which came from a small box, same size as a dash switch I guess with the word Lucas on it.

That will be the flasher relay - well done  :t-up:

Yeah, I think it is as you can feel the unit pulsing with the indicators!

:-)