Ford 1600GT donor engine

Tonsko

I don't believe that's a pre-lit at all, it has the later 'post-lit' bodywork (swaged bonnet and rear wings etc) and is supposed to have been built in 1992 but pre-lits were stopped being made in 1988...

Top mount for the front shock looks pre-lit to me as it's mounted on the side of the tube and not the underside.

Weren't a few of the very last pre-lits sold with SE bodywork at the time when the GRP prelit was phased out and the SE introduced?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tonsko

• flyingbanana

• Neil2008

• peterg

Have a flick through the pages of the FAQ section and there's a few topics in there that will help you tell the different models apart and decide which body or axle combination suits your needs best.  :cool:

here's a good starter

This one confirms what I was thinking earlier about narrow bodywork on pre-lits

And another good write uphere

:t-up:  :t-up:

Heh, yeh I read those. The one about getting all the paperwork to match particularly. So although it doesn't match the car it's on now, I think the engine is a genuine donor, although will need to wait until I see it to check the VIN against it.

It's tough to find info about the Cortina De Luxe and as to whether it actually had the 1600 engine in it - but that is what the V5 says!

Make & ModelFord Cortina De Luxe

VIN Check You have not performed a VIN check yet.

Engine Size1599cc

Engine NumberN643660

First Registered14 Aug 1968

Year ManufacturedNo year available

Former Keepers12

Last Keeper ChangeThe last recorded change of keeper occurred on 20 Sep 2009

BodyConvertible

ColourRed

FuelPetrol

The last recorded change of keeper matches.

Engine number is probably a typo, as codes were "Letter-Letter-Numbers" format until 2001.

If "N6" is actually "NG" then that would be a 1992 block, so should be 711M...

If it is still on the 1968 engine, then that will be pre-crossflow, so I suspect it isn't...

One single error, be it engine number or just the old way of showing kit conversions probably wouldn't be too bad. OK, the Govt. Departments can be really awkward to deal with and it can take time plus letter writing and form filling,  but it's all do-able.

However, when you've got a couple of issues all stacking up like this, it can really, really make you loose the will to live, as suddenly no documents agree with each other, all you need then is to get put through to a civil servant having a bad day and it becomes an absolute nightmare. Worse, you've now made them aware of issues, so you're left with no option but to keep going.

And if some bright DVLA spark gets it into their head that you need an IVA for it...

I'm not that brave and too much of a worrier,  so I'd be moving on to the next one, and at the same time tipping my hat to whoever had the nerve to sort it all out.

I also believe that its not registered properly and would seriously not touch it - lots of trouble ahead me thinks!

I found a post on Pistonheads that describes a situation that appears very similar to that which you will be in should you buy the car.  Below is the resolution for this particlar post:

(the full post can be found at; http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing....&mid=0)

" For anyone searching and wanting the info,the process ofgetting an incorrectly registered kit properly registered was as follows:

Contact the DVLA, by letter or going to a DVLA office, explaining that the car was built before SVA regs. They'll send an inspector out,who willneed to see proof that the car was built before SVA regs and/or used on the road before 1997 (sva regs change date). Could be receipts,MOTs,tax,etc. Wait about 2 months forthe DVLA Swansea to make their minds up onthe given evidence given to them by the inspector.

Job done. Scary, as they can potentially make the car worthless, as these old kits are never going to get through SVA."

Note this was posted in Dec 07 so may not still be current!

I personally wouldn't touch anything that didn't say Westfield as the manufacturer on the Log book.

This.

Anything that doesn't say Westfield on the V5 is incorrectly registered and a jobsworth at the DVLA could make go through IVA.

I have decided, regretfully, to leave it alone. I'm simply not brave enough to get it on the off chance that it might be IVA'd - should it not pass, I would be left with something I couldn't use and/or sell!