Which se7en

Wib

I've loved Caterhams for years but never really paid Westfields a lot of attention :0.  Now I'm in a position to buy a (fairly lowly) Caterham I thought this was the perfect time to ask you lot if I would be better off spending my money on a Westfield than a Caterham.  I've seen this argument loads of times on the Lotus 7 Club website and thought it would be interesting to see the other side of the story.  I just want to make sure I've looked at all the options before I put my hand in my pocket.

I've got about £9k to spend.  I expect I'll get a much higher spec. Westy than Caterham but by how much?

I look forward to seeing your responses.  

Wib

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nick M

• adhawkins

• gregh

• steve_m

Well check the for sale section for that kind of money you could have got an 180bhp Zetec that was sold recently!

I was in the same position as you and went the Westie route, alot more car for your money.

regards,

greg

Can only agree with Greg. When I got mine I had a very brief look at Caterhams, and couldn't believe how much more you had to spend to get one of a similar spec to a Westy.

My 1997 2 litre Zetec (factory built) cost me less than 9k last December.

Andy

To show a non-bias - Also take a look at a Birkin  ;)  :)  :D  :D  a very nice and well priced car in the seven styleeeeeee  :D  :D  ;)  :)  :D

And whatever you purchase you can always join the WSCC  :D  :D  :D

Thanks guys.

It is tempting to go the Westfield route.

£9k Westfield = 180bhp :D

£9k Caterham = 100bhp ???

My one other thought is depreciation.  Whatever I get will make up a big proportion of a deposit on my first house when the time arrives.  Will I loose much more with the Westfield?

Wib

Prices appear to be relatively stable to be honest. It's difficult to say personally, but I know cars like mine are still going for similar amounts to what I paid for it 6 months ago.

Andy

You can sleep in your car but you can't do a trackday in your house.

Don't woory about depreciation, do a few little jobs to your car when you've got it, ie, upgrade the brakes, fit an ARB, change the oil regularly and have it regularly Rolling road tuned then the value should stay fairly constant. ;)

£9k Westfield = 180bhp

£9k Caterham = 100bhp

I fail to see how hard the choice is then!

Regarding depreciation I don't think you'd loose much if you bought a £10kish Westie now.

Regards,

Greg

And how do you judge the value of the enjoyment you'd get out of the car between buying and selling (assuming you can be tempted to do the latter of course)?

Westy ownership can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it. Resist the temptation to upgrade, and all it'll cost you on a year by year basis is insurance (200 or 300 quid are typical costs), and road tax (150 quid, but you can get a refund if you send it back when not using the car).

Then there's petrol of course...

Andy

Buy a BEC (bike engned car) and you'll only pay £105 road tax !  :D

How about a Dax Rush ?  Nice alternative to Cateringvan or Westy and plenty of them around with a wide choice of engines.

Really? Didn't know that.

Ok, so you spend an extra 2 or 3 thousand on the car, to save yourself 50 quid a year.

There's something wrong there, can't quite put my finger on it :)

Andy

Really? Didn't know that.

Ok, so you spend an extra 2 or 3 thousand on the car, to save yourself 50 quid a year.

There's something wrong there, can't quite put my finger on it :)

Andy

A blade engined car will be cheaper than a Vx/Zetec engined car and even busa engines are now coming in at less than £2500 which is about the same as a Vx engine, carbs, ignition and gearbox etc.  Price really depends on what spec they're built to but there are a number of BEC's for sale in the £6k-£8k range.

Blimey...learning lots today :)

Most of the BECs I've seen for sale have been more expensive than a similar CEC.

Haven't looked too closely for a little while though.

Andy