Scottish Applecross Tour 2011

Rab (bombero) Reid

Hope you get well soon chap.  :down:  :t-up:

Very very sad to see my old car in that state. :down:

Outcome could have been different had I not put the extra bracing in the cockpit and replaced the solid steering column with a tubular one.   ???  ;)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rab (bombero) Reid

• Jumpy07

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• Scottish Westy

THE STORY OF THE APPLECROSS 11

It all started on the thursday night when most good people were in bed ? the Applecross team were up doing things to get one up on everyone else ,Deno could not make up his mind on red,blue, or orange calipers , finaly at 3 in the morning they were painted orange . Bombero had spent 5 hours finding a bit that had not been polished, Ziplob could not make his mind up about his wheels , black or gold and after many hours head scratching he remembered the tyres on the gold wheels had naff all tread . Matt had crawled under his bonnet and fell asleep huging his engine and mr and mrs weedov could not sleep because of the smell of food  :love: Wee dov thought he could pack another sausage????. Jumpy was lighting up the local power grid charging up all the toys for the spotty teenager he had as passenger . Everyone else was in bed sleeping with alarms set for 7 in the morning apart from matt who had started his engine at 4 and let it tick over just to be on the safe side .

First stop was the woolen mill at kilmahog, 8 cars and ths support van turned up , those who never made the pick up packed ther stuff in the van and with much huffin and puffin the doors were shut {the connect was bursting at the seams? so at 9.30 we set of up to the green wellie to meet up with Alister, jumpy and wee kev .All lined up and having a quick chat and planing stops we were invaded by a bus load of Japanese people who delayed us by the amount of pictures the were shooting. Anyway we had to get on our way, lunch was booked in Fort william for one so we all started our engines at the one time. Our japanese palls must thave thought oh no not again as the ground shook and off we went on our way next stop Glen Shee. So far so good no rain and a nice day to boot and so far no sign of the local lads in blue and there cash machines. Stopping in the glen we were overcome by another Load of Japs and more pictures followed but i must say its quite a site 11 well presented westys and hats of to the lads every car was gleeming well done. so off we went Fort William ariving at our lunch spot bang on time (note to self find another lunch stop next year) On parking up we were greeted by more Japanese people and envn more pictures . Lunch was ok but would not write home to mother about it . So we all got fed fueled up and of we went after a wait for jumpy who had to get a key cut as he snapped the one for his bonnet . next stop was lochcarron for petrol and the road to it has to be one of the best i have driven on. we all arive at lochcarron and are dissapointed to find no Japs, just the locals wanting to buy jumpys spoty teenager . All fuel up and ready to go and the gremlins arrive and stop Matts fuel pump .This was bad no one had a spare pump and we thought we were knacked .But being in Scotland the best westy country in the world Matt found a magic brick and with on small tap the pump burst into life .   11 miles on and we found ourselfs at the bottem of the Applecross pass we all stopped to fic cameras on and agin dissapointed that there were no Japs . All set and Matts fuel pump packed in Having abused the magic brick it refused to work so as we set of up the hill and left matt at the bottem to get towed up by the support van . THe applecross pass is just fantasic its one of the must do things in life you know like giving Kyle one??? we went up it and down the otherside speechless ariving at the campsite and booking in only to find Matt frewheeling into the campsite looking like he had just sh*t himself its a long way to freewheel . Booked in and ready to put the tents up straws were chosen the shortest one would get to open the Back doors of the van ase we all took cover behind trees .

Camp McWesty was set up and ready to go . As the snobs in the huts sat drinking us men set up the tents, WeeDov sparked up the barbie and the party started . Matt was now known by his new name THE PUMP and wee Kev was tasked to be head cook ( a job he done with pride and the fact no one got the shi*s was credit)  our local stag joined us round about 10 and got the usual abuise but it was not phased, Bas**rd they breed them tough up here and we got board with it , the Irish lads camping next to ust wanted to eat it but that would have ment they had to stop drinking for 5 min so they quickly forgot that idea . By midnight the party was going strong all apart from the Pump and Alister they had an early morning start to Inverness to get the Pump a Pump. But we partyed on a chinese Lanteren was lanched and it was pish so we started drinking it was about now that the second disaster was about to strike, Mrs lob had left the Vodka back home so this ment we had to blag Mrs dov's Vodka . 3 oclock came ant all was quite in camp Mcwesty dont know why ??? but we were all in Bed we never heard the pump go on Satarday morning  but he was gone and we all got up to Mrs dov doing the bacon and beans . A walk into the village about lunchtime was good and returned to the camp about  2 . Pump was fitting his new pump and 8 of us set of for the afternoon blat round the coast another must do run . That night we all had dinner in the Applecross inn and that was worth the trip alone . After a few beers and a team picture it was back up to the camp site and i must say at this point dispite the pish being ripped out him since his pump packed in, not once did Matt the pump spit the dummy out . Our local stag paid us another visit but did not want a beer so wee finished up and we turned in about one in the morning , it was still light very strange.

The next morning it was p*****g down as it did for the whole journey home but we dont care its only Rain. Mrs dov done the beans on toast as we got packed away ready for a wet trip home . So after filling up at Applecross we left in the worst weather we had all weekend next stop Fort William where at last more Japs and more pictures .We had lunch and kev ate even more and as we came out a young lad was playing the bag pipes he was pish and should have stayed at school. The Japs were still doing the picture thing, we must be famous in Japan by now and we decided that was our last stop and we would all be heading of .

Much hand shaking and huging went on and we all congralulated one and other for a truly fantastic weekend and off we went. We all know what happend next and we were all shook up and shocked at the Pumps terrible crash, but the most important thing is that Matt is ok and according to the Lads was still cracking jokes  I take my hat of to the Pump and wish him a speedy recovery and cant wait till he's back on the road with us .

THE AWARDS

Van driver of the year     Angus

chef of the year              wee kev

fastest soapbox award   matt the pump

hangover of the trip       Wee dov

westy love ferret            Scott thats a nice bird in the bar

Stevie wonder Award     Ziplob Missing the swedish netball team

most elictronic gizmo award   Jumpy

the my cars cleaner than yours award   Bombero

Make me fart award   Lorna for the chilly

the man of the trip award  Matt the Pump

The daft wee tent in a tent award  wee dov

please feel free to add anymore.

And now the thanks

the People of the Applecross campsite , Mr And Mrs Clark for getting the food together, Peoples Ford Edinburgh for the van, Angus for driving it , Lorna for the chilly . The irish lads from the T.D.C club for the banter . But most of all the Applecross eleven  for the way you all turned you cars out well done. And one last thing i am not a religious man in anyway bit a big up to God for looking after Matt

Bob

How many sleeps till the next one ???????? :love:  :)  :)  :)

WOW, just read this myself Matt, looks like a very lucky escape. Having recently binned my car at Doune I probably know the mixed feelings you're having, but don't make any snap decisions, just chill and recover for a while. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, I'm sure you'll be able to look back at it some day and put it all in perspective.

Fraser

Very well summaries Ziplop  :D

Just to say what a fantastic weekend I had and looking forward to the next one :) Will get my pics up soon.

Sorry to hear Matt about the car and hope your on the mend.

Kev

As Kev said above, Ziplob summarised last weekend pretty well. It was my first time at Applecross as it was for most of us there and I need to say it was the best weekends driving I've had in my life, with a superb bunch of guys & girls. I drove a Ferrari F430, Aston DB9 and a 911 Turbo on a supercar road day last month and I can honestly say I wouldn't have swapped any of them for my Westy on the Applecross roads. Those twisty narrow roads & a Westy=driving nirvana. The scenery is stunning all the way up from the central belt of Scotland, but Applecross itself is a wee gem and the views down to the turquoise coloured sea is breath taking. A big thanks to everyone involved in organising it.

Although Matts crash over shadowed his weekend some what, a special mention should be given for his achievement on the Friday. After his fuel pump dying at the bottom of the Applecross pass, Matt was towed up to the top by Angus in the support van (no mean feat in itself when you see the hairpins). Once he was at the top, he detached the tow rope and FREEWHEELED down the other side of the pass right into the campsite, which must be about a 3 miles run!, with hairpin bends, tight corners and other traffic along the way. Apparently he hit 60 mph in some places.

Roll on Applecross 2012, only 359 sleeps to go! :D

The start of Matts troubles....

IMAG0216Medium.jpg

The lovely turquoise waters

IMAG0240Medium.jpg

IMAG0250Medium.jpg

@ziplob, funniest write-up I've read in ages!  :laugh:

We were so organised, we brought our own fuel tanker!

IMG_0550.jpg

I was completely shocked to see the pictures of Matt's accident and so thankful that he got away relatively  lightly. Matt, on behalf of the Borders Sevens, please accept our commiserations and also our best wishes for a quick and complete recovery. We hope to see you out and about soon and hopefully you haven't been put off Westfielding too much.

Neville

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Matt, I tried to reply to your for sale ad, but havent recieved my membership No. yet.

Could you email me with details of any parts you are selling from your car, I'm after wiper linkage and motor, and an RAC type roll bar, my email address is scottmk1 at hotmail.com

Cheers

Man.... from high's to low's.... the weekend looked great fun but those pics make me shudder......you are so lucky..... I dropped the bike due to diesel and you are just a passenger.  Glad you are OK