• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

adjustable panhard rod

mak1

Mr Blatman Sir!!!!! I realise that the pinion is offest, that is not what I was getting at.

On some cars I've seen (mainly Pre-lits) the axle is offest by about 20mm to the off side, that is to say that the rear wheels are not evenly spaced away from the center line of the car side to side (caused by the Panhard rod being too long thus offsetting the axle)

I have been told that this was deliberatly done to compensate for the "odd" steering geometery of some of the Pre-lits.

If the axle as a whole is offset in this way it will have the effects that I put in my last post.

Chaz.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• mak1

• samcooke

• Richard M Green

:blush:

Just making sure. I have no way of knowing what you know.........

I also have no way of knowing if the offset has been measured properly, or if it's some-one looking at the wheels/rear wing position, or what......

We need to make sure we're all singing from the same page.........

Oh, and for the sake of clarity, any meaurements should NOT be taken using the look of the wheels/rear wing position, 'cos the rear wings may well be a good deal less symetrical than the axle........you need to take a datum line from the exact centre of the chassis, and measure carefully. It's not easy either........

And yes Chaz, I know you knew all of that........

Many of the pre-lits have the rear axle offset a bit.

Nearly everything is offset in the pre-lits; axle, steering rack, bodywork, chassis ...  ;)

Many of the pre-lits have the rear axle offset a bit.

Nowt wrong with a pre-lit, maybe its offset in a favourable way!!!!

After all wasn't a pre-lit that set the fastest time of any class 2a/2b cars at the last 2 WSSC rounds at Curborough.  :)

After all wasn't a pre-lit that set the fastest time of any class 2a/2b cars at the last 2 WSSC rounds at Curborough

Hello Mr T  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D  :D  :D  :devil:

Don't forget to register for the SS for 2004  :D  :D  ;)  ;)  :D

Easy way to check is compare the disatance between where the radius arms (that locate the axle to the chassis) pass the outer diagnol chassis member that runs forward and down from the roll bar mount to the floor (the one that the outer edge of the rear bulkhead pannel rivits to) this dimension "should" be equal side to side.

You can buy steel, tube left/right hand threaded inserts and left/right hand threaded rod ends from Rally Design to make up an adjustable Panhard rod.

Using left and right hand threaded rod ends will allow you to slacken off the locknuts (rather like the ones on the trackrod ends) and turn the actual Panhard rod to lengthen/shorten it's effective length without the need for dissasembley between each adjustment.

A rod end with a 7/16 bore and 1/2 thread should be fine for this application but check the load ratings to be sure.

HTH.

Chaz.