A few questions

80BSY

I'm still looking for a Westfield, and have been contacted a few times now!

Trouble is there's a few things I now realise I need to know before buying one.

Firstly, I specified I needed a factory built car, I was assuming that to mean Westfield built it their factory, not a garage has built it once Westfield supplied the parts. Is there such a thing as a Westfield approved dealers, that would mean it to be considered factory built.??

Secondly, if a car is built from new parts that constitutes a brand new registration, is it possible a car could be built, "track dayed" or raced for a season or two then registered as a new car??

I'm pretty clued on cars in general, but have no specific knowledge of Westfields. I am however very good at reading people, and a lot of what I'm hearing really doesn't equate.  ???

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobsy

• markcoopers

• Mark (smokey mow)

• 80BSY

1. IMO a factory built car would be one which has been assembled by Westfield themselves in Kingswinford.  To the best of my knowledge they do not have any other UK agents that assemble cars for them.  There are however various independant companies that will build or complete any unfinised kit car for a customer.

2. It is possible that a car could be built and used as a track car for a couple of years before being registered but TBH I would consider it unlikely (but not impossible) that it would be on a new plate.  

Speeking personally I wouldn't be too concerned about a factory built car.  Whist you would have greater consistancy in the standard of build, there are also some very very nice ameteur built cars which are better spec'd and better finished than a lot of factory built Westfield's.

I can also understand your concerns about a car that has been tracked, however these may also provide more bang for your buck and typically may receive more frequent servicing and maintenance.

As you're not far up the road from me I'm happy to give a second opinion if you need to on anything you're thinking about.

What you've said in points 1 and 2 has confirmed what I was wondering and concerned about, which is what I really needed to understand.

I do however 100% agree with you in the fact there are going to be a lot of self built cars that have received a mass of extras and have attention to detail far beyond a factory built car.

Thing is, a few years ago I looked at a couple of home builds, and at the risk of offending anyone, I want something I can get in and use as oppose to spending the first year ironing out their lack of ability. The factory built, new as poss, un-played with car was my intended route.

I'd like to say thank you for taking the trouble to answer my concerns, and to say I'm not far away from you at all, I'm only down in Clacton. I would also welcome any input and opinions.

Thanks................Bob

I would suggest getting along to your local area meet and having a chat with the guys there, Smokey being one of them  :D  

I am sure someone would be willing to look at any cars you might have found with you.

I personally would not get too hung up on buying a factory built car as even they build to certain standard/price point how else would they make a profit  :)

I fully agree with that, I just wanted to reduce the chances of driving 200 miles to find something with poor build quality and finish.

I do realise Westfields are generally put together better than the average kit car, but some are still pretty bad.

I've built a few things in the past, the latest being a Mirafiori engined sandrail. It was a properly built SCORR race car, the only one of it's type that was road legal. It hadn't been on the road since early 90s. By the time I'd rebuilt it and ironed out all the little faults, I no longer had any real interest in it. This time I just want to buy something and have enjoyment from it just by using it.

what engine are you looking for ???   that will normally drive your budget ? and what area are you ?  as advised, get to a local meet, see the cars, look at how they are built, I have seen many home built cars better or different to factory built cars.... for example mine was a home build but by an RAF techie who went to extreme detail in some area's..... probably more detail than say a factory car that is built to a set standard................

I'm in Clacton, Essex, and would very much like to go to a local meet.

I want a 2ltr Duratec or Zetec, ideally with throttle bodies. I would consider a V8, as I do like V8 engines in general. It can't be a "Q" plate either as I have a registration I'd like to put on it.

Budget wise, I realise I've made an expensive choice, but I'm prepared to pay for what I need it to be.

If I've not found something by then, I intend to go to Stoneleigh as there is likely to be a few things for sale there.

We're not going to get very far if you guys don't actually read what bobsy is writing... :bangshead:

It can't be a "Q" plate either as I have a registration I'd like to put on it.

And double negatives are just wrong...

I dont think you cant put a private plate on a "Q" plate.........

Bob. I can't PM you as you're not a member but if you need any advice from a local you're welcome to email me at mark_wendon@hotmail.com I'm a couple of miles from Marks Tey.

I'm not sure what the latest is with local meets, I only seem to average about 1 a year myself so probably about time I went to another :D but normally they fall on the second sunday of the month in South Woodham Ferrers tigger (Paul) is our local AO.

I dont think you cant put a private plate on a "Q" plate.........

Sorry Head Mater.... :p  :p  :p  :arse:  :arse:  

Should have read

"I dont think you can put a private plate on a "Q" plate........."

There were some dealers that sold factory built cars, and there are some dealers that now sell 2nd hand Westfields.

The cars that have gone through the SVA IVA tend to have the little bits ironed out as they fail, so would not regard these as a 2nd choice but rather as equal to the factory built cars at least.

You are right that condition is key, more so than the actual age in many ways, but so is spec. Age wise the recipt for the chassis is often an eye opener showing the cars age to be a bit older than the registration. A year is often the norm mind as they take time to build, but some are many years.

Modular built cars are also often very well built as all the bits come clean and shiny for asselbly in big bits. And remember that many home built cars come as a ready panneled with break lines fitted chassis ie some of the car is factory built.

I also wouldn't get too hung up on not buying a car that has seen some track work.

Westfields often serve a duel role as both a road and track car and because of this are often well sorted and have a lot of extra goodies over a road only car.

I am not talking here about a dedicated track car as they are often too spartan to be an atractive road car, but cars that have been used as a weekend fun weapon.

Regards Greg

Lots of good pointers above, I tend to agree, a) you go for a factory built car (though how you tell I don't know) or b) non factory built you take someone from here with you that knows what to look for, or c} you buy one on here that people know ,you have not long missed a superb car.

You have done the right thing coming on here before you buy!

Welcome.