• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Martin Keene

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• Norman Verona

• chazpowerslide

On the way tomorrow...

;)

3 months on and still no pictures  :bangshead: come on Martin pull your finger out  :D

Need to see pictures for inspiration having just brought a shed of a cb500t to give the cafe racer treatment  :t-up:

• 8 months later...

Right oh... You all thought I'd forgotten about this didn't you?

After getting it started last year, we put some more fuel in for a test ride, split some and took all the paint off the tank, that combined with it not running properly, means it got shoved in a corner and forgotten about.

Well, since then I have:

1) Resprayed the tank, yes from scratch, and in petrol proof lacquer!

2) Replaced the factory instruments with a single 60mm dia speedo with all the required warning lights in it

3) Removed the interlinked brakes and replumbed to a conventional system

4) Strip and rebuilt the carbs to cure the miss fuelling

So today we have been out for a small test ride on a private track and it is:

1) As loud as the end of the world

2) As comfortable as the end of the world

3) The suspension is just archaic, I hit a bump at 50mph and nearly got thrown off!

4) It doesn't handle particularly well, there's nothing really wrong with the way it handles, it just reacts so slowly compared to a modern bike.

It's possibly the most fun on two wheels!

:d

Tomorrows job is to bleed the rear brake, again, I can't get the damn thing to work, touch up the paint on the rear wheel where brake fluid has been spilt by the many attempts at bleeding the rear brake. Then make some side panels to cover the battery and electrics, then off for MOT.

:cool:

Pics tomorrow when the wheel has been repainted.

well done Martin - pics ASAP please

Nice one martin.... Great to here your getting close to finishing it.

As for comfort , what comfort I can manage about 25-30 miles on mine before everything goes numb and need a break....but hey just stop stand back and look at the thing for a bit!

Regarding your bleeding of the back brakes..

I had trouble bleeding front discs on a disc brake conversion on a Mini a long time ago, only to find out that the pistons needed to be pushed right back in the caliper to get rid of air trapped behind,

Just a sunday morning half asleep thought!

Ok, so today I removed the rear wheel and touched up the paint where the brake fluid had spilt, and bled the rear with the wheel removed. This has finally solved the issue, the bled nipple is sandwiched in between the wheel and the brake pipe, resulting in nightmare access, I assume I was getting an air leak back in via the bled pipe because it has bled ok today.

Put it all back together and bolted the seat on instead of it being sat on the frame. All that remains now is side panels to cover the battery and an MOT.

422245_4021396605792_1067582572_n.jpg

Looks fantastic, great work. I do love seeing transformations like this. Will you keep it or move onto another project?

looking good Martin :t-up:

• 2 weeks later...

Well today it went for an MOT.

I picked a nice friendly MOT station, because it is very loud... When I got there, the MOT tester had a different interpretation of the stickers on the exhaust. I read it as legal for bikes registered before 1983, he read it as not road legal at all. b*******...

He then said, if the stickers were to go missing, he wouldn't know any better. Stickers gone.

It passed the MOT with flying colour's, and only 1 advisory for the noisy exhaust. This is where things started to go wrong...

Firstly, the heavens opened, to the extent we were wondering where Noah was with an Ark. So I stuck around for a bit until it eased. When I came to leave, the bl**dy thing wouldn't start! After much a**ing around I got it running and I suspect I have got some crud in the idle jets, because it runs fine on the main jets, it just won't idle.

The 2 miles down the round, the oil pressure light came on.

:arse:

I am 99% sure that is just a knackered switch as they have a bit of a reputation for it. So, tomorrow I shall be stripping the carbs (again) and fitting a new oil pressure switch. I am also going to put some small filters in between the tank and carbs, the are filters on the fuel taps, and filters in the carbs, but it is obviously getting crud making it's way through somehow, so hopefully another couple of filters will stop it.

The Westy is still in the garage, and if I am being brutally honest with myself I think I am bored with it, and think I probably was a while ago, and probably should have sold it instead of sinking 3 large into an engine change... Ho hum, live and learn and all that. I intend to make a decision what to do with it later this year and will sell it in spring if that is the decision.

The good news is, the oil pressure was a dead switch!

:t-up:

About to start the carb strip. I reckon I can do it with my eyes closed now!

Now, there's a co-incidence. I've been getting the 7 back into fully working condition.

Fixed the speedo that wasn't working (pick up had fallen of its bracket on the front hub)

Fitted a new brake light switch. I use headlamp flasher switches with a spring on the toggle to the top of the pedal.

Then took the dash out to get to the oil pressure warning lamp. Checked everything and couldn't find a fault. Tested the switch and, lo and behold it wasn't working.

Two oil pressure switches at the same time. now that's a co-incidence.

Stripped and rebuilt the carbs and got it running again too... Doesn't seem massively happy, but I'm sure a quick Italian tune up when I can get it out of the village and on to an open road will sort that. Sadly it has been raining most of the day, so that will have to wait until another day.